DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Indiana is hiring James Madison's Curt Cignetti to be head coach

That's a VERY quality hire right there.  But obviously, nowhere near as fun as the Gruden rumor. 

MAC is doing away with divisions

Top two teams will play in Championship game

They will have 4 pods of 3 teams - the teams in a pod will play each other every year - the rest will rotate

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That's a VERY quality hire right there.  But obviously, nowhere near as fun as the Gruden rumor. 

He won't win at Indiana - don't think anybody can - but he's a good coach.  52-9 at JMU, 53-17 at IUP before that, WR coach for Julio Jones at Bama...

Related to DJ Uiagalelei entering the portal:

Along with Leavitt, the other two QBs who saw playing time for Michigan State this year have also entered the portal.  

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dante Moore is leaving UCLA. I expect Oregon, Michigan State, and maybe Michigan to all make strong pushes for him (Michigan really depends on if they think J.J. is coming back next year.)

I could easily see JJ leaving Michigan for the NFL but I really, really think he needs another year of college ball.  

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

I could easily see JJ leaving Michigan for the NFL but I really, really think he needs another year of college ball.  

The various draftnicks and scouts are so all over the place on him, from QB3/top ten or even top five pick all the way to late second or early third day pick.

The downside to coming back is nearly the entire offense is graduating this year. That's a tough spot to try to improve your draft stock in.

• Like 1

OSU's Kyle McCord has entered the transfer portal

CHAOS~! if the breathless social media reports I see are true

(Starting RB Evan Pryor has also entered the portal)

I'm in favor of players having options and getting paid, just for the record, but as a fan I really hate the way the transfer portal works and when players can declare for it. Between players opting not to play due to the draft and being in the transfer portal, outside of the teams in the playoffs (as I assume most of their major players will play) its really a crapshoot on the quality of the games and who is going to actually be playing.

Course, I say this just from a fan perspective that wants to watch fun and competitive games, I know that the players are doing what they feel is best for their career and I don't hold it against them.

On a related note, Dillon Gabriel is in the transfer portal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm in favor of players having options and getting paid, just for the record, but as a fan I really hate the way the transfer portal works and when players can declare for it. Between players opting not to play due to the draft and being in the transfer portal, outside of the teams in the playoffs (as I assume most of their major players will play) its really a crapshoot on the quality of the games and who is going to actually be playing.

Course, I say this just from a fan perspective that wants to watch fun and competitive games, I know that the players are doing what they feel is best for their career and I don't hold it against them.

On a related note, Dillon Gabriel is in the transfer portal.

Well, they can't really move the portal window much because kids have to enroll in and start classes at their new school. 

Also I've heard that The Ohio State Buckeyes have entered the portal.

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Context: Conference commissioners just met with a bunch of members of Congress to complain about NIL and how different states have different rules. Lots of "boo hoo, players are transferring to get NIL money" mixed in with sanctimonious, "we're trying to protect players from dirty, rotten agents and totally not trying to just maximize our profits" talk. The commissioners want federal rules. 

A lot more of it has to do with the House v NCAA lawsuit that might very well completely tear down everything if the NCAA loses. This puts them in position to hopefully settle while showing they are improving things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Signs are pointing to Duke settling on Manny Diaz (who is currently Penn State's OC) as Head Coach

Had to look it up.  He's their defensive coordinator.  You had me wondering for a minute why Diaz would be an offensive coordinator, and why anyone would hire Penn State's offensive coordinator to do anything they thought was important.

• Haha 1

So apparently Michigan and Jim Harbaugh are on the verge of finally finishing the extension. 5 years, $55 million.

The alleged final hurdle is Michigan wants language where Harbaugh agrees in writing to not pursue an NFL job this off-season. 

• Haha 2