DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK ELEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, JLowe said:They are apparently targeting DeBoer and Lanning. Some of the Regents really want UTSA coach Jeff Traylor, and that’s where they might end up. Good coach, tons of Texas connections, but no P4 head coaching history.

I’d be shocked if it’s traylor.  Figure they’ll go after one or both of the other two, or Elko.  

Shoulda let Jimbo walk to LSU two years ago and kept Elko then.  Would’ve lost a few from THE GREATEST CLASS EVER~!, but the list would’ve overlapped pretty close with the ones that have already been run off or transferred.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Penn State fired offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich today.

If you watched either of their two important games this year, much less both, I don't think you need an explanation on that move.

They’ll never get higher than where they currently are with Franklin as head coach. He’s a modern version of John Cooper. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They’ll never get higher than where they currently are with Franklin as head coach. He’s a modern version of John Cooper. 

That may very well be true, but I don't think he's getting bought out anytime soon if they keep winning 10 a year, and they have to try something different with an offense that gained 478 yards and scored 27 points combined against Michigan and Ohio State.

Edited by Brian Fowler

24 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Sports Illustrated is reporting that Michigan has discussed leaving the Big Ten. 

They’re PAC-2 bound.  

Part of me wonders if the timing of the Fisher firing is Michigan related. Maybe the BOR guessed Harbaugh is gone to the NFL, and landing your preferred target is a lot easier if Michigan isn’t also in the picture for him.  

I can't imagine Michigan actually does it, but they could probably thrive just fine with the ND model.

Plus I don't think they really could any time soon. They just signed the new TV deal/Grant of Rights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert C said:

I’d be shocked if it’s traylor.  Figure they’ll go after one or both of the other two, or Elko.  

Shoulda let Jimbo walk to LSU two years ago and kept Elko then.  Would’ve lost a few from THE GREATEST CLASS EVER~!, but the list would’ve overlapped pretty close with the ones that have already been run off or transferred.  

Jimbo wasn’t going anywhere, that was Jimmy Sexton making a lot of money for himself.

Elko is the other most likely but A&M is going to get a few coaches some raises in the process.

Just hope y’all learned a lesson about guaranteed contracts.

And to talk shit about my team, third straight week in a row where we lose a 20-point lead in the second half to a team we should’ve blown out. And this time it cost us Jonathan Brooks, who is now out with an ACL injury that ends his season, his Doak Walker award campaign, and likely his draft chances this year. 

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile in Division 2, the university I graduated from is in the playoffs and they’re playing a school that I sorta share a name with (it’s my last name, I say sorta since my name doesn’t have “state university” in it)

Commander State University

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile in Division 2, the university I graduated from is in the playoffs and they’re playing a school that I sorta share a name with (it’s my last name, I say sorta since my name doesn’t have “state university” in it)

That’s cool. My cousin starts at Wheaton Thunder and they’re going to the playoffs looks like. 

43 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Just hope y’all learned a lesson about guaranteed contracts.

Problem is, Lanning (if he’s the guy) would probably require one of those insane fully guaranteed contracts. 

I’ve seen some ridiculous names thrown around today.  Deion. Kiffin.  Swinney.  Meyer.  Kingsbury.  Dan Campbell.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Problem is, Lanning (if he’s the guy) would probably require one of those insane fully guaranteed contracts. 

I’ve seen some ridiculous names thrown around today.  Deion. Kiffin.  Swinney.  Meyer.  Kingsbury.  Dan Campbell.  

Why would anybody go after Deion? He hasn't shown he can actually coach (yet). 

• Like 2

The pros to taking the TAMU job: they have top notch facilities, are in the most talent rich state and the most talent rich conference, their boosters spend more money than anybody else and the NIL collective allows you to recruit as well as anyone. They will give you fully guaranteed contracts with no offset language and then fire you without trying to claim cause.

The cons: no coach since RC Slocum has made it through their sixth season without being fired. Despite having absolutely everything necessary to be a major power, haven't won a conference title in 25 years or a national title in 84 years. Bear Bryant was the last coach to leave voluntarily, everyone since has been fired.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The pros to taking the TAMU job: they have top notch facilities, are in the most talent rich state and the most talent rich conference, their boosters spend more money than anybody else and the NIL collective allows you to recruit as well as anyone. They will give you fully guaranteed contracts with no offset language and then fire you without trying to claim cause.

The cons: no coach since RC Slocum has made it through their sixth season without being fired. Despite having absolutely everything necessary to be a major power, haven't won a conference title in 25 years or a national title in 84 years. Bear Bryant was the last coach to leave voluntarily, everyone since has been fired.

They're a lot like Michigan State.  It doesn't matter what they do, they'll always be second fiddle in their state.  Period.  Sparty went on a run of dominating the head-to-head with Michigan, won 11+ games five times in six years and what were people saying?  "When will Michigan be back?"  There was never a question of "If", it was always "when".  

A&M is in the same boat.  They can do whatever they want - pull off a miracle against Alabama, win a Heisman with one of the most exciting players ever, snag a coach who's won a national title, recruit "the greatest class ever", buy any player they want - and none of it matters.  They'll ALWAYS be second fiddle to the burnt orange in Austin.  Their most legendary coach.........left for greener pastures.  They've won 10 games once in the last 25 years.  Northwestern has done it THREE times in the last 11.  

They will always be second fiddle. 

Having said all that, they SHOULD be better for all the reasons you mention.  Their facilities are great, they will spend whatever it takes.  That should be enough to snag loads of talent and do better than 8-5 every year.

• Like 2

Speaking of much smaller schools that we actually attended, the Alma Scots completed their second consecutive 10-0 MIAA championship season and will host DePauw this weekend with the winner most likely traveling to Mountain Union for the second round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

They're a lot like Michigan State.  It doesn't matter what they do, they'll always be second fiddle in their state.  Period.  Sparty went on a run of dominating the head-to-head with Michigan, won 11+ games five times in six years and what were people saying?  "When will Michigan be back?"  There was never a question of "If", it was always "when".  

A&M is in the same boat.  They can do whatever they want - pull off a miracle against Alabama, win a Heisman with one of the most exciting players ever, snag a coach who's won a national title, recruit "the greatest class ever", buy any player they want - and none of it matters.  They'll ALWAYS be second fiddle to the burnt orange in Austin.  Their most legendary coach.........left for greener pastures.  They've won 10 games once in the last 25 years.  Northwestern has done it THREE times in the last 11.  

They will always be second fiddle. 

Having said all that, they SHOULD be better for all the reasons you mention.  Their facilities are great, they will spend whatever it takes.  That should be enough to snag loads of talent and do better than 8-5 every year.

Because they can do whatever they want, they do a lot of stupid things to try and keep up. Yeah, they got a national championship winning coach, whose program was clearly in decline, had cultural rot, whose school wanted him gone and was stoked they didn't have to pay to fire him. A coach running an outdated offense.

They bought the best class of all-time featuring 5 high 4-star/5-star defensive tackles and no true offensive tackles. As a result, their OL is terrible and their QBs keep getting killed.

Even in the Portal, they bragged about getting former 5-star CB Tony Grimes from North Carolina, only to find out after fall practice that he was terrible and who has now barely seen the field.

• Like 1