DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

Figured out my problem was that I didn't read the system requirements properly and I have the game installed to my big HDD when it requires a SSD to expediate mid-area loading. Whoopsie.

I should be fine running a SSD with a type USB C through USB A adapter, I hope. The adaptor will cramp the SSD's max read/write speed but, like, should still be infinitely above HDD speed I should think.

• Like 1

Jesus. This side quest I’m on feels as long as a main story. I’m probably 4 or 5 hours or more into this side quest. I did only one thing for Constellation and it led me to fighting a ship called the Warlock that is way too fucking tough to beat on my own. I may have to hire a gunner or something since I’m my own pilot.

The game is starting slowly for me. Part of that is my fault, as in the first city I got distracted by fetch quests. I don't like fetch quests but I also don't like having undone missions in my log so off I went to do them. I am thinking now I am going to focus on the main quest as I need XP to unlock some 'basic' skills. 

One thing they didn't really explain well was the menu and how to travel faster (like using the "set course" option) and how to be able to switch weapons on the fly without going into the menu. I figured out both things, but they definitely didn't hold our hand through the menu options and how to do things in it. I am missing the "free flying" feeling that we got in No Man's Sky, with the way fast travel works I don't get as much of a "flying through space" feeling I got with NMS from Starfield.

Those aren't major quibbles, I'm enjoying the game. I did a fun optional side mission that opened up another side mission and distracted me for a solid hour+ (plus I finally got to shoot things). There is a lot to this game, it hasn't hooked me in the sense I am having super long marathon gaming sessions but I feel like it is starting to open up now and I'm excited to see where it goes.

So far, nothing has I’ve seen is gripping me. By the time I made it to whatever the the first populated planet is called, I just started shooting at civilians out of annoyance. 

Not sure if the problem is the game or me and the immensely shitty week I’ve had   Maybe it’s both of us  

I’m hoping this turns out like Morrowind did for me, where I despised it at first, but eventually fell in love and played a billion hours of it. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Robert C said:

So far, nothing has I’ve seen is gripping me. By the time I made it to whatever the the first populated planet is called, I just started shooting at civilians out of annoyance. 

Not sure if the problem is the game or me and the immensely shitty week I’ve had   Maybe it’s both of us  

I’m hoping this turns out like Morrowind did for me, where I despised it at first, but eventually fell in love and played a billion hours of it. 

I played a few more hours and still haven't felt 'gripped' either so I feel ya. I feel entertained, but that's about it. I still am hoping once the game fully opens up that I'll get more excited, right now I am itching to play Baldur's Gate 3 which I wasn't expecting.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from buying it, its fun! Its just not the next-tier game I was hoping for. And it wasn't just Internet Hype, I'm a big fan of all the Bethesda games so I had a fair amount of self-hype as well.

In a way, the fast travel is both a blessing and a curse. Even though games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 did have fast travel, you also could just run from Town A to Town B if you wanted to (and sometimes had to), killing monsters and causing havoc along the way. So far in Starfield I've only jogged to a location one time, every other time it was fast travel to ship -> open map -> fast travel to new planet -> land -> fast travel to... etc. Unless I'm doing an in-town fetch quest I'm just fast traveling from place to place, no space ship flying around killing stuff or planet running around shooting rats.

I think being able to fast travel to places you've never been to is my main hang-up and the area I wish they copied NMS, I thought I'd be "exploring space" in Starfield but I'm really not, I'm just fast traveling from planet to planet.

12 hours ago, Robert C said:

Are you playing on PS or did you change your XBox ID?  Your profile says you're offline.

Edited by J.T.

I spent about two hours last night surveying Jemison, and I’m still at something like 88% done with the planet. Before that, I sent a job application to Ryujin Industries, went and interviewed, and got the job as an operative. And then a few more hours just going to random systems and looking at planets or ships in orbit - came across a busted ship with a rogue AI system named Juno where other Ryujin operatives were trying to control it, and I convinced them to fake the paperwork and leave it alone, and the AI thanked me and went into deep space. I have a feeling I’ll see Juno again.

Also took a job as a debt collector for the bank in New Atlantis.

Safe to say this is exactly what I expected and wanted, which is basically just “Bethesda game in space”. I’m very content with my purchase, to say the least.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Are you playing on PS or did you change your XBox ID?  Your profile says you're offline.

Still on Xbox and still the same ID. Not sure what’s up.  Possible I set it to offline when I was down with Covid a couple weeks ago.  I noticed a few weeks ago that you’re not on my friends list anymore.  No clue why. 

I uninstalled yesterday in a fit of pique.  My play through was fucked badly enough (330k bounty on whatever that first planet is called) that I didn’t care enough to figure out how to un-fuck it.  

I’ll reinstall when I’m not pissed off at the world.  Right now there’s so much I don’t like about the game that I don’t need it around. 

• Like 1

I did find a storyline that caught my interest - joining the Vanguard. I'm not 100% sure what it means long term but I liked the orientation process and the first mission was fun. Course the first mission opened up two more missions, meanwhile the main quest is like "hey don't forget about us" so I am not sure where I'm off to next. Definitely feel like I could play the game 50 hours and never touch the main mission again.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I did find a storyline that caught my interest - joining the Vanguard. I'm not 100% sure what it means long term but I liked the orientation process and the first mission was fun. Course the first mission opened up two more missions, meanwhile the main quest is like "hey don't forget about us" so I am not sure where I'm off to next. Definitely feel like I could play the game 50 hours and never touch the main mission again.

That’s usually the case with Bethesda games, but this one is different. You might want to get at least a little far into the main storyline. Trust me.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:35 AM, odessasteps said:

Forgot to add that I can hear JT screaming about my combat tactics if he watches yesterdays stream. I still a, terrible about getting into cover.

How can you be a US Army contractor and not embrace the concept of putting something solid between yourself and incoming bullets?  Aren't you at a post where they actually conduct live fire testing?

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

How can you be a US Army contractor and not embrace the concept of putting something solid between yourself and incoming bullets?  Aren't you at a post where they actually conduct live fire testing?

Yes, but in 16 years, I've never covered a ballistics test. Now, if we come across a generator in Starfield, I'm your man. 

I have to chuckle every time my "companion" is completely useless. During a firefight he is MIA, soon as its over I turn around and he comes jogging up like nothing happened. A very Bethesda experience. I'd kill for the mass effect ability to command him to run to a certain spot, even if he didn't kill anyone at least he'd be a bullet sponge.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have to chuckle every time my "companion" is completely useless.

I think anyone who has played Skyrim has said "Lydia, don't fuck this up," at least once.  I have a low bar of expectations when it comes to how "helpful" my Starfield companions will be.

Helpful hint: be careful when looting or you might run afoul of the space police.

Edit: nothing worse than dying after slogging thru a 30 minute fire fight after you have gotten what you need and don't make it back to the ship. 

Edited by odessasteps

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yes, but in 16 years, I've never covered a ballistics test. Now, if we come across a generator in Starfield, I'm your man. 

It's just as well.  Bethesda RPGs that feature gunplay rarely have decent cover mechanics other than crouching behind something solid and hoping you don't get shot. 

It's not like Mass Effect's system where it's fairly simple to duck behind cover and even swap spots to throw off the enemy.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Helpful hint: be careful when looting or you might run afoul of the space police.

I'd heard that Starfield's looting system was a bit problematic.  Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by J.T.

The biggest problem with looting is all the stuff you swipe weighing you down and effecting your cardio. One of the problems I had during the aforementioned firefight was having to constantly stop to get my wind back and lower my CO2 levels. That and not having enough first aids.