DVDVR Message Board

GOTY?

misanthrope304

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so, seeing as we're coming upon the end of major releases for current systems and are starting to look towards THE FUTURE~~~ maybe it would be time to start entertaining a "games of the generation" thing? Just for consoles, seeing as the number of dedicated PC gamers in here is like me aaaaaaand I havent found the other one yet.

yes this is me volunteering to run it if it comes to that

• Like 2

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so, seeing as we're coming upon the end of major releases for current systems and are starting to look towards THE FUTURE~~~ maybe it would be time to start entertaining a "games of the generation" thing? Just for consoles, seeing as the number of dedicated PC gamers in here is like me aaaaaaand I havent found the other one yet.

yes this is me volunteering to run it if it comes to that

I like the sound of this.

If you need to have multiple posters dedicated to a particular platform to make it viable then just say PS3 and 360 only. Otherwise soak up the tears like the rest of us and accept that PC and Wii are going to be the red headed step children with Apple, DS, mobile and PSP being I HAVE NO SON whitewashed from the history books.

If you need to have multiple posters dedicated to a particular platform to make it viable then just say PS3 and 360 only. Otherwise soak up the tears like the rest of us and accept that PC and Wii are going to be the red headed step children with Apple, DS, mobile and PSP being I HAVE NO SON whitewashed from the history books.

Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are the two Wii games I'd talk up the most. Wii Sports and de Blob as well.

Nah, there's quite a few Wii Games I'd put in the "Best of a Generation" list.  I didn't play Brawl, but Mario Galaxy 2, Twilight Princess, Sonic Colors and Punch-Out!!! are at least 4 that I'd consider putting on my ballot.  

And fuck, this Gen of PC had Starcraft II and Crusader Kings II at least.

My Wii list would be Brawl, Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Brothers, and No More Heroes, but that is because I played so much more 360 and PS3.  How many games are we going to list, because a damn near 10 year life cycle is going to make this super hard to narrow down. 

Well for the Best of's Kyle ran on the old board, we balloted 25 a generation.

Shit, 25 is going to be hard.  I think we should do at least 50, we could really fill 25 with nothing but Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Halos, Uncharteds, Assassin's Creeds' and Call of Dutys, and not really have a list that look ridiculous.  Where does this generation of games rank amongst all media over the last 10 years?  I'd say that it is top 2, the last decade of television has been amazing, but I could very well make a list of 100 games from this generation, while I don't know if I could do that for anything else. 

The fact this board has people suggesting to outright cut Wii out of a best of the generation debate hilariously sums up the state of discussion of video games here. I mean the Wii absolutely annihilated XBox and PS3 for sales. I'm pretty sure it must have had one or two decent games.

• Like 1

Well for the Best of's Kyle ran on the old board, we balloted 25 a generation.

Shit, 25 is going to be hard. I think we should do at least 50, we could really fill 25 with nothing but Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Halos, Uncharteds, Assassin's Creeds' and Call of Dutys, and not really have a list that look ridiculous. Where does this generation of games rank amongst all media over the last 10 years? I'd say that it is top 2, the last decade of television has been amazing, but I could very well make a list of 100 games from this generation, while I don't know if I could do that for anything else.

Simple solution: you cannot include more than one game from a franchise on your list.

That IGN list thus far is weird. There's a lot of stuff that I think we could have found other games to fill that void.

I hope Halo 3 being so far back is because both Reach and 4 will be ranked ahead of it.

Both games have better Campaigns, and I really love the multiplayer for 4.

RE: PC

The actual reason I want to withhold dedicated PC stuff is that Generation is a completely useless term for PCs. Generation has traditionally referred to console iterations. It would basically mean "games that came out at the same time that this other stuff was happening." 

I mean, if people insist, then it's no problem to let them in.

RE: Franchises

While I like that "one game per franchise" limit, I think it isn't an entirely clean out. I mean, the people who would be voting for Mass Effect 2 & 3 would be voting for it for totally different reasons (2's singleplayer vs. 3's multiplayer). Making people choose between those two is an unnecessary vote splitter. Sure, it'll lead to someone putting all three ME games in their top three, but that's not worth splitting up votes and getting point totals for games that aren't actually representative.

RE: Ballots & Threads

The idea I had was minimum 20, maximum 50. For pimping threads I was thinking about separating it by year and try to get websites to spit out information on that year's releases.

• Like 1

RE: PC

The actual reason I want to withhold dedicated PC stuff is that Generation is a completely useless term for PCs. Generation has traditionally referred to console iterations. It would basically mean "games that came out at the same time that this other stuff was happening." 

I mean, if people insist, then it's no problem to let them in.

While I like that "one game per franchise" limit, I think it isn't an entirely clean out. I mean, the people who would be voting for Mass Effect 2 & 3 would be voting for it for totally different reasons (2's singleplayer vs. 3's multiplayer). Making people choose between those two is an unnecessary vote splitter. Sure, it'll lead to someone putting all three ME games in their top three, but that's not worth splitting up votes and getting point totals for games that aren't actually representative.

The idea I had was minimum 20, maximum 50. For pimping threads I was thinking about separating it by year and try to get websites to spit out information on that year's releases.

I support all this. Be interesting to see which entry from a series ranks highest. Outta likes but you'll get one.

Which'll be sure to have Tabe and I fighting over which Assassin's Creed was better, II or IV.

I loves me some AC4 but AC2 is the best game I've ever played.

Lot of interesting things will come of this:

Games which make it

Games which don't

The placements

Seeing which acclaimed games have stood the test of time or not

Highest entry in a franchise

Lowest entry in a franchise

The franchise rule makes it hard for games like Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Both were probably top 20 for me, and while they have vague simularities those games really stand on their own as individual games.  Halo 3 and 4 aren't even made by the same people, and Reach and ODST are strange sidebars.  Does Halo Wars count as a Halo game, not that it would make my list personally, but it doesn't seem like it should be lumped in with the rest of the Halo games.  Just something to think about before we finalize the rules.

Minimum 20, Maximum 50 seems about right, but I wouldn't oppose to doing a top 10 by year and trying to narrow it down from there. 

The franchise rule makes it hard for games like Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Both were probably top 20 for me, and while they have vague simularities those games really stand on their own as individual games.  Halo 3 and 4 aren't even made by the same people, and Reach and ODST are strange sidebars.  Does Halo Wars count as a Halo game, not that it would make my list personally, but it doesn't seem like it should be lumped in with the rest of the Halo games.  Just something to think about before we finalize the rules.

Minimum 20, Maximum 50 seems about right, but I wouldn't oppose to doing a top 10 by year and trying to narrow it down from there. 

Yeah I'm going to use the franchise rule as a personal balloting measure to make it more interesting for me, but it's not enforced or required at all.

A top fifty gives you a top five per year (2006-2013), which gives you 40, and ten for outliers & passion votes. That seems totally reasonable to me.

I'd say just do the Generation, since a GOTY for 13 would be nothing but us bickering about Last of Us vs. GTAV, with some outlier (namely me) pimping of Tomb Raider and AC4