DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

TCM: The Next Generation introducing the concept that the family is acting as low-level agents for some kind of Elitist Satanic Cult was certainly a choice.

Baffling decision. The dude with the weird pattern scarred into his stomach was STRANGE. The end also has one of the funniest lines, with the old lady in the RV telling her husband "Some monster is chasing her with a chainsaw!" Then the whole RV crashes, Renee escapes and they don't show what happened to the couple at all! Poor old people, drinking and driving on vacation and wiping out...

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, RIPPA said:

James Wan has confirmed that the Conjuring 4 is happening.

Here is the first teaser.

I am probably hating one of Rippa's prior posts, but I didn't feel like paging that far back just to find the trailer.  I feel like every click turns into monies for the Warren family estate and i would like to limit my financial enabling as much as I can.

Edited by J.T.

I watched Manhattan Baby today because it’s one of Fulci’s I haven’t seen. It’s a neat curio because he leaves the corn syrup at home for the bulk of the picture and focuses on making a mostly bloodless occult suspense thriller, but it’s incomprehensible and narratively unmoored  even for a Fulci movie. At the same time, he’s doing some great stuff with the camera and it’s cut together well, plus there’s some nifty location shooting in Egypt and New York. It’s a bad movie, but watching him build atmosphere out of such a rickety screenplay is fun.

It also has the little boy from House by the Cemetery, and that little creep can make anything eerie. 

Watching The Conjuring for the first time and this movie is a piece of shit. Catholic Poltergeist ass movie.

Ron Livingston's wig is killing me, I can't take that dude seriously at the best of times and now he's got the Beatles hair.

Manhattan Baby was so bad I couldn't even sit through it when I rented it as a kid. Bob from House was so irritating too. It's really sad: the same year Fulci made The New York Ripper, probably the most misanthropic, misogynistic film I've ever seen, which feels like the ultimate pessimist statement from him. Then he does Manhattan Baby and it's just over. The whole career. The only film he made worth a shit after was A Cat in the Brain which was basically just a collection of gore scenes anyway but also a seeming coda for said career starring him as a director. If any of the films he made in between or after were worth it, I haven't heard anything about them. 

Unfortunately I haven't seen his early giallos aside from Don't Torture A Duckling, which is very affecting, or his western Massacre Time. Another western of his, Four of the Apocalypse, is highly recommended surrealism. The last one I want to pimp is Contraband which is a badass Mafia flick starring Fabio Testi as a cigarette smuggler* and Marcel Bozzuffi from The French Connection. Great cinematography and some nasty splatter as always. 

*...which was apparently a big time mob hustle because Italians wanted American smokes that were enormously taxed instead of subpar domestic brands. Until I read that years after I first watched the film, I thought they just made him a smuggler because it seems lighter than the hero being a brutal murderer or drug dealer or something. Maybe that WAS the point, but the economics of it make it a neat reality that isn't made clear in the film.

And hey, here you go! Full movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lkTPI3yXo0&ab_channel=GunsN'Drugs

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I still want a poster made from the scene in that movie where Fulci (making a cameo in his own movie as a hitman) opens fire with the machine gun during the big ambush.

Contraband-BerettaM12-7.jpg

It is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen on film. 

That and when Luca's friend gets his head blown apart from the assassin's Walther that magically fires explosive bullets.

How the "theatrical release" avoided an X rating baffles me.  It was hella violent for even back then.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

From a cursory read on Wikipedia, I got the sense that the production of Manhattan Baby broke Fulci’s spirit and he became disillusioned with filmmaking. The budget was halved during shooting and he never worked with the producer, whom he’d often collaborated with, again.

I tried to watch New York Ripper again last year, and it was too grotesque and miserable for me. I definitely don’t have the same tolerance for that level of sleaze and violence that I did in my early 20s when I first saw it. It’s remarkable that the same person who made that directed Don’t Torture a Duckling, which is the most empathetic and earnest giallo I’ve seen.

Whenever New York Ripper comes up I must mention the season 6 giallo episode of Smallville where Lana is being stalked. At this point the show was routinely doing filler episodes based loosely on movies (there’s a zombie episode around then too) and the stalker is doing the Donald Duck voice when he calls her. It’s unreal. 

• Like 1

It's fair to say Fulci was a tortured man. By the time he was about to pass he was a cranky old bastard too -- if you read the transcription of his interview at the Fangoria Con riiiiiight before he died (like, within a week later), he said David Fincher ripped off New York Ripper for Seven! And also that it was shot way too dim and you couldn't see anything, haha. 

https://www.youtube.com/@GunsNDrugs/videos This is the channel Contraband was on and it's nothing but grade-Z actioners and classic polizzioteschi. There's a whole section of Henry Silva films! 

IWTV decided to put together a cinematic Death Match, and then decided to make the build to it be a low budget horror movie. And an actual horror movie website noticed:

https://ihorror.com/the-death-of-when-wrestling-meets-horror-in-a-death-match-cinematic-spectacle/

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXo_4VEbds

• Like 1

Caught Saw X. Overall I thought it was well done. The setup took forever and was boring as shit. But once it got going it was good stuff. Some of the traps were fucking gross being based on surgery stuff. I think this might be the Saw path for a bit. Fitting in prequels to when John Kramer was still alive. I figured out the twist a bit before it happened (if you want to call it that, because it wasn't super twist-y). But I almost wish it had gone a different way.

Without spoiling too much he tried to get this miracle cancer cure surgery in Mexico. I think a much more interesting way for it to play out would have been if it worked. His cancer was actually cured. But it also caused him to not really fully have his wits about him anymore. Where he goes back to Jigsaw-ing even harder and believing he still has cancer, even tho he is cured. So that it makes the end of Saw 3 that much more impactful. He wouldn't have actually been dying. He just gets killed due to his own game not playing out the way he wanted.

• Like 1

Red Band trailer for Suitable Flesh

Directed by Joe Lynch and starting Heather Graham, Judah Lewis, Bruce Davison, and Barbara Crampton.

Based on HP Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep.

It is strange how Kenneth Branagh took one of Agatha Christie's weakest effort and made a decent movie out of it and now Joe Lynch has taken HP Lovecraft's shittiest story and apparently made what might turn out to be a brilliant dark comedy.

Edited by J.T.

Watched Bitch Ass today on SHO on Demand.

Bitch_ass.jpeg

I'm not even lying.  That's the name of the movie.

Despite the silly title, the movie is not entirely without merit.

It is like an expanded segment of Tales from the Hood and is on track to become a cult classic.

Edited by J.T.

Also, so I really should watch Bitch Ass? It's been on a lot and the stupid thing is Dish lists it as B.... A.. both in the guide and in the description... yet uses the poster anyway. It's really stupid and along with the title simply BEING Bitch Ass made me give it a hard pass. 

It is more of an homage to Rusty Cundieff, William Marshall, and other pioneers of 70's black horror than it is it's own thing, IIRC.

It is presented as if it were an episode of some late night horror movie program like Svengoolie.   I'd actually like to see an anthology built around Tony Todd's character, Titus Darq. 

The role of Titus Darq was originally created with Clarence Williams III in mind, but he passed away while the initial draft of the screenplay was being written.

• Like 1