DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Stargirl 6 spoilers are out thanks to 4 Chan of all places.

Spoiler

The main baddie was adult Corky Baxter who re programmed the Android Hourman.

Anyways, the kids are all safe and can stay in present time except Wing who had to go back in time to die. The kids don't really change history by not going back.

Hourman is ok and good again.

Still, only one mystery character find out about later, and is still unkown but whoever it is has his or her own Legion Ring. I think it might be one of the Mon-El's.

I was right, its the artists stalling the Justice Society of America title. 

Read the first couple issues of Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent today. It's a pretty fun read, though ALL-NEW WOLVERINE remains my favorite Tom Taylor book. That said, if they're gonna give him the blue lightning powers I'd like them to shit or get off the pot, because it has been too long since Superman wore ski boots

I’m new to the whole comics game but the Dawn of DC thing interests me. So gonna ask a dumb question here … Is each edition focused on a different character (like Vol 1 is Batman, Vol 2 Wonder Woman, Vol 3 Harley Quinn, etc) or does each character have their own series of comics within the series?

5 hours ago, writeradam84 said:

I’m new to the whole comics game but the Dawn of DC thing interests me. So gonna ask a dumb question here … Is each edition focused on a different character (like Vol 1 is Batman, Vol 2 Wonder Woman, Vol 3 Harley Quinn, etc) or does each character have their own series of comics within the series?

"Dawn of DC" is less a singular storyline and more a marketing tagline. Each character has their own book(s) which will deal with that particular hero. 
I'd recommend starting with a character (i.e. Batman) or line (i.e. Superman, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent, and Superboy: Man of Tomorrow) and find out what you enjoy the most before branching out further.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Dawn_of_DC

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, odessasteps said:

Morrison might be the first writer since Ordway to understand the Marvel Family. I still don't forgive what he did to Mary in Final Crisis BUT he does get it.

James

In the preview for Justice Society of America 5,  Earth 0 Bruce's daughter (Huntress) erased her future by telling him about the future. The snow globe is keeping her existing. 

The JSA series has been delayed on and off. But the latest arc is soon done.

3 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

Earth 0's floating timeline is 13 years. Was 5 years for NU52. Modern Marvel is also 13 years for their sliding timeline, since the F4 debuted. 

i don't really get both companies' desire to stick to a defined timescale like that. i would much prefer it to be a lot more vague. "a few years ago", "not too long ago", etc. Let people figure out what works for them. 

F4 #1 came out in 1961. that's 62 years ago. You're telling me that it makes more sense to cram 62 years of history into "13" rather than leave it open ended? i disagree. 

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i don't really get both companies' desire to stick to a defined timescale like that. i would much prefer it to be a lot more vague. "a few years ago", "not too long ago", etc. Let people figure out what works for them. 

F4 #1 came out in 1961. that's 62 years ago. You're telling me that it makes more sense to cram 62 years of history into "13" rather than leave it open ended? i disagree. 

Lot of compression makes it work, you take stuff that happened before by weeks and months and cram them in days. 

And helps some events get deleted because they couldn't possibly happen anymore, USSR coldwar stuff and Berlin wall stories and that Spider-Man 9/11 and more all never happened. More room to squash together.

Has to reflect the world outside of your window and time does as much as the setting. So today, as in 2023.

The only other way that would work is realtime, but that would mean many characters would be aged out or dead by now. Too late now to do it too, many writers would have to hyper extend the timeline and change how lot of stories were, with ages.

New Universe was under real time (not the alternative copy from Exiles), the first few years of 60's Marvel 616 were realtime. Then it became semi-realtime then the sliding timescale. The sliding timescale was already in effect before the 90's.