DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Screen_Shot_2022-10-05_at_81510_PM_1400x

Dawn of DC will (sign, once again) re-shape the DC universe!ย  Whee.ย  Lazarus Planet up first.ย 

Lookit Batman's new silly helmet!ย  ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

16 hours ago, Red King said:

I don't think most people read Convergence and Doomsday Clock endings the right way. It's very irritating to see some fans stuck on their false headcanon interpretations.

that is not a new occurrence, and i don't expect it to end anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, The Natural said:

BC has published nine articles since yesterday leaking 5G plans. ย More to come, Iโ€™m sure. ย So far, it sounds decent to me. ย Iโ€™m not terribly excited by most of the ideas, but theyโ€™d be fine. ย All depends on the execution. ย Iโ€™m not too interested in current DC, but they have a number of writers working for them that can sell me a book, ย King, Ridley, Tom Taylor, Joshua Williamson, Johns, etc.

Iโ€™m mostly intrigued by how they would inevitably retcon 5G and de-age Bruce, Clark, and Diana back to their โ€œnormalโ€ ages. ย The big weakness of 5G probably would have been the new characters, ย So far, reception to Jon Kent, Jace Fox and the Brazilian Wonder Woman seems mixed, at best. ย I donโ€™t have much faith theyโ€™ll ever carry the line or even be as popular as, say, Kyle Rayner.

The plans for Clark sound intriguing and are probably better than what theyโ€™ve done with Clark and Jon Kent the past few years. ย I donโ€™t hate the idea ofย 

Spoiler

aging Bruce into his 60โ€™s and trying to take out the Joker and Bane once and for all

ย 

Edited by Doc Townsend

56 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

BC has published nine articles since yesterday leaking 5G plans. ย More to come, Iโ€™m sure. ย So far, it sounds decent to me. ย Iโ€™m not terribly excited by most of the ideas, but theyโ€™d be fine. ย All depends on the execution. ย Iโ€™m not too interested in current DC, but they have a number of writers working for them that can sell me a book, ย King, Ridley, Tom Taylor, Joshua Williamson, Johns, etc.

Iโ€™m mostly intrigued by how they would inevitably retcon 5G and de-age Bruce, Clark, and Diana back to their โ€œnormalโ€ ages. ย The big weakness of 5G probably would have been the new characters, ย So far, reception to Jon Kent, Jace Fox and the Brazilian Wonder Woman seems mixed, at best. ย I donโ€™t have much faith theyโ€™ll ever carry the line or even be as popular as, say, Kyle Rayner.

The plans for Clark sound intriguing and are probably better than what theyโ€™ve done with Clark and Jon Kent the past few years. ย I donโ€™t hate the idea ofย 

ย  Reveal hidden contents

aging Bruce into his 60โ€™s and trying to take out the Joker and Bane once and for all

ย 

I find Tom King very hit and miss. Loved Vision, liked most of Grayson, I only liked a few of his Batman stories, the annuals specifically Batman Annual #2 and #4. The majority of his Batman book sucked and I hated Heroes in Crisis. Tom Taylor is one of my favourite writers. On the spoiler:

Spoiler

I'm down with an older Bruce in his 60s as Batman Beyond, Batman of the Future where I live is great where he's in his 80s. It's making a deal with Joker letting him go to kill Bane which is bullshit.

ย 

Edited by The Natural

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I find Tom King very hit and miss. Loved Vision, liked most of Grayson, I only liked a few of his Batman stories, the annuals specifically Batman Annual #2 and #4. The majority of his Batman book sucked and I hated Heroes in Crisis. Tom Taylor is one of my favourite writers. On the spoiler:

ย  Reveal hidden contents

I'm down with an older Bruce in his 60s as Batman Beyond, Batman of the Future where I live is great where he's in his 80s. It's making a deal with Joker letting him go to kill Bane which is bullshit.

ย 

Thank you to @Matt Dย for tagging and recommending Batman Annual #4 saying it was made for me. Matt was right and I'd have missed out otherwise. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Batman letting Joker go free, specifically for Joker to kill Bane, is literally the most OOC thing Batman could do. i can't imagine a story that would interest me less. it could work as an Elseworlds (as a cautionary tale, to prove Batman's "slippery slope" theory), but as part of the main canon? hell no!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I find Tom King very hit and miss. Loved Vision, liked most of Grayson, I only liked a few of his Batman stories, the annuals specifically Batman Annual #2 and #4. The majority of his Batman book sucked and I hated Heroes in Crisis. Tom Taylor is one of my favourite writers.

Have you read Kingโ€™s other books? ย I liked his Batman run and Heroes in Crisis well enough, but theyโ€™re not the King books Iโ€™d recommend. ย You didnโ€™t mention my favorite King books,

Personally, I think Sheriff of Babylon is his best work. ย Admittedly, itโ€™s not everyoneโ€™s thing. ย Itโ€™s a semi-autobiographical murder mystery about am American military consultant trying to solve a murder in Iraq. ย King was stationed in Iraq during his CIA days.ย 

I reread his Omega Men run a few weeks ago and love it. ย Keeps the basic premise from earlier Omega Men books but gives everything more depth and complexity. ย Itโ€™s horrific, shades-of-gray stuff. ย Primus and Kalista fight a just guerilla war against a brutal dictatorship, but in the process reveal themselves to be even bigger bastards than their enemies. ย Poor, poor Kyle Rayner.

Kingโ€™s Mister Miracle run is heady stuff. ย Dark, but with emotional weight. ย King tells two stories, one about Scott Freeโ€™s war with Darkseid, the other about Scott Freeโ€™s war with fatherhood and his own demons. ย Canโ€™t really discuss it without giving too much away, but the ending is powerful and devastating. ย Nominally a superhero book but it really is closer to a family drama.

Strange Adventures was powerful. ย Falls somewhere between standard DC and Kingโ€™s Mister Miracle. ย Basically grounds Adam Strange in โ€œwar is hellโ€ territory. ย Thematically similar to Omega Men in how it views its protagonist.

Read Rorschach. ย Like the other titles I have mentioned, it takes a standard superhero premise and warps it into something strange and thoughtful. ย Rorschach is basically a police procedural. ย It has ties to Watchmen, but is set decades after Mooreโ€™s story so itโ€™s not really using the Watchmen characters. ย More โ€œinspired byโ€ Watchmen than playing in the Watchmen sandbox.

if you havenโ€™t read them, read Kingโ€™s Swamp Thing Winter Special and Batman/Elmer Fudd one-shots. ย The Swamp Thing story might be Kingโ€™s best single issue and Jason Fabok kills it as penciler. ย The Elmer Fudd crossover is strange and ridiculous in all the right ways. ย Itโ€™s a very hard-boiled, noir take on both Bats and Elmer. Honestly most of the DC/Hanna Barbera stuff is great. ย 

Kingโ€™s standard superhero books are fine, but he really excels when DC gives him minor characters and more freedom.

ย 

ย 

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 2

5G is good for Elseworlds concepts, but destroys the brand if those events ever happened on Earth 0. Most of all of 5G was scrapped and the world of 5G was averted.ย 

The other possible worlds Doomsday Clock introduced? Not so much scrapped but just gotta wait.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Batman letting Joker go free, specifically for Joker to kill Bane, is literally the most OOC thing Batman could do. i can't imagine a story that would interest me less. it could work as an Elseworlds (as a cautionary tale, to prove Batman's "slippery slope" theory), but as part of the main canon? hell no!

This.

9 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Have you read Kingโ€™s other books? ย I liked his Batman run and Heroes in Crisis well enough, but theyโ€™re not the King books Iโ€™d recommend. ย You didnโ€™t mention my favorite King books,

Personally, I think Sheriff of Babylon is his best work. ย Admittedly, itโ€™s not everyoneโ€™s thing. ย Itโ€™s a semi-autobiographical murder mystery about am American military consultant trying to solve a murder in Iraq. ย King was stationed in Iraq during his CIA days.ย 

I reread his Omega Men run a few weeks ago and love it. ย Keeps the basic premise from earlier Omega Men books but gives everything more depth and complexity. ย Itโ€™s horrific, shades-of-gray stuff. ย Primus and Kalista fight a just guerilla war against a brutal dictatorship, but in the process reveal themselves to be even bigger bastards than their enemies. ย Poor, poor Kyle Rayner.

Kingโ€™s Mister Miracle run is heady stuff. ย Dark, but with emotional weight. ย King tells two stories, one about Scott Freeโ€™s war with Darkseid, the other about Scott Freeโ€™s war with fatherhood and his own demons. ย Canโ€™t really discuss it without giving too much away, but the ending is powerful and devastating. ย Nominally a superhero book but it really is closer to a family drama.

Strange Adventures was powerful. ย Falls somewhere between standard DC and Kingโ€™s Mister Miracle. ย Basically grounds Adam Strange in โ€œwar is hellโ€ territory. ย Thematically similar to Omega Men in how it views its protagonist.

Read Rorschach. ย Like the other titles I have mentioned, it takes a standard superhero premise and warps it into something strange and thoughtful. ย Rorschach is basically a police procedural. ย It has ties to Watchmen, but is set decades after Mooreโ€™s story so itโ€™s not really using the Watchmen characters. ย More โ€œinspired byโ€ Watchmen than playing in the Watchmen sandbox.

if you havenโ€™t read them, read Kingโ€™s Swamp Thing Winter Special and Batman/Elmer Fudd one-shots. ย The Swamp Thing story might be Kingโ€™s best single issue and Jason Fabok kills it as penciler. ย The Elmer Fudd crossover is strange and ridiculous in all the right ways. ย Itโ€™s a very hard-boiled, noir take on both Bats and Elmer. Honestly most of the DC/Hanna Barbera stuff is great. ย 

Kingโ€™s standard superhero books are fine, but he really excels when DC gives him minor characters and more freedom.

ย 

ย 

I haven't read those. Thanks for the recommendations. Had my eyes on Batman/Elmer Fudd, Batman/Swamp Thing and Mister Miracle but the majority of King's Batman run and Heroes in Crisis has put me off.

On the new sliding time scale, we already learned that Year One happened 13 years ago. Well in issue 2 of the new Justice Society of America series, Zero Hour happened 8 years ago.ย  So about 5 years into Batman's career, bam Zero Hour.ย 

I guess most history is compressed for JLA members and the silver and bronze ages.

ย 

11 hours ago, Red King said:

On the new sliding time scale, we already learned that Year One happened 13 years ago. Well in issue 2 of the new Justice Society of America series, Zero Hour happened 8 years ago.ย  So about 5 years into Batman's career, bam Zero Hour.ย 

I guess most history is compressed for JLA members and the silver and bronze ages.

ย 

i feel like fans get too upset about timeline specifics. don't get me wrong, when they tried to compress everything into 5 years during New52, that was dumb. But overall, some of these characters have been published for over 80 years. it's never going to fit as long as the characters don't age in semi-real time. And since THAT's not going to happen, you just have to accept it for what it is.ย 

• Like 2

The NTT are back as the Titans.

https://www.cbr.com/titans-tom-taylor-nicola-scott-interview/

GL, Cyborg, Titans.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/25/dawn-of-dc-2023-cyborg-titans-green-lantern/

Wonder Woman getting new book, so relaunch. So only Action, Detective, Flash will have high issue numbers. The new JL will debut later.ย 

https://i.ibb.co/GP0vxdg/dawn-of-dc.jpg

Lazarus Planet stuff

The Jon Superman is electric Supes. So capes won't work.

Powergirl's post TNGA history and origin is that she from her old destroyed universe and survived her Krypton's destruction.ย  Everything else is vague for now. Her new power is being Psychic.

Have to separate her fron the other Powergirl who came from NU 52 Earth.

ย