DVDVR Message Board

Wrestler of the Day: CHICKY STARR

RIPPA

Yeah.... if I am not going to get Dean to talk about Eddie Guerrero, maybe I can troll him out with Chicky Starr.

It also gives me a chance to post

Any video that has Starr spitting in Carlos Colon's face and then Stan Hansen wasting Colon with chair shots and then Hog Tying him is a must watch

• Like 1

Hm. What have I seen? There's the scaffold match but I'm not as high on that as other people who go crazy for it.

Hey, you know a match I think is really interesting? The Chicky Starr vs Invader III Stick on a Pole match. The payoff is pretty bad, yes, but they do this amazing job vying for position and really getting over how important the gimmick is to the match. It's part of why the payoff being bad is so disappointing but I don't think it invalidates the rest of the match. It's still worth watching.

Ray and I saw Chicky over the summer at this deeply underwhelming lucha show in Queens. He was the highlight of the show by a country mile, the epitome of the aging veteran who may be into his 60s but can still fuck shit up if he has to. We could watch him brawl with Damien 666 all the live-long day.

I'm adding it to the queue.

JAE LEARNS CHICKY STARR PART 1

vs. INVADER 3 (1988)

So many shots to the dick in this. I'm not a fan of the nutshot, but it became fun as soon as Invader grabbed Chicky by the trunks and punched him squire in the groin. Chicky is a tremendous flopper. Watch him get tossed into to the turnbuckle and bounce off to his knees and then his face. It looks so graceful. Like something an old school vaudeville star would do. Here's what I like about the story: Both guys are in control when they're just punchin and kickin and chokin. But they both get into trouble when they try to do some rasslin' moves. Chicky goes for a suplex from the apron, but Invader counters. Invader goes for a flying cross body but Chicky is able to roll through. It's when they try to get fancy is when they lose their position. Invader's bump off the blocked monkey flip, which also fits in with the theme of brawling over wrestling, looked BRUTAL. I bought it as a KO, and I wonder if anyone could get away with that today. Chicky gets in one last joke rolling out of the ring and flopping to the floor. Fun times.

SCAFFOLD MATCH vs. INVADER 3

This is one of the better scaffold matches, but that's not really saying much. When Invader put the headlock on early and Chicky dropped to his knees, I immediately realized they were going for a "where the head goes the body follows" concept that I really wish the announcers had sold. The commentary in general was pretty weak, and this kind of gimmick'd story really needs some additional storytelling to get across some aspects that we can't see from our position. For example, they could have explained that the reason Chicky thought he won is because his eyes are so filled with blood he couldn't see that Invader was still hanging on. The blood, in this match was a big key to making the story concept work, and they missed it. I had fun, but scaffold matches feel like they really can only be enjoyed to the fullest if you're watching it live. Then you can really feel the height and put your fear in the live bodies wrestling up there. I did have a couple of moments, like when Invader threw a drop kick and when Chicky headbutted him in the gut, shoving Invader to the edge, that I jumped, just because I could feel the height and danger. 

The problem with scaffold matches is that they're so dangerous that you know the two guys are actually working to keep each other form dying. I know they're doing that in regular wrestling, but it's more obvious. I thought these two avoided some of the trappings, which is why this succeeds where so many fail, but it's just not a gimmick I can get into.

AXE HANDLE ON A POLe MATCH vs. INVADER 3 AGAAAIN

Weapon on a Pole matches have some really cool psychology that you can play with. This one has the added bonus that the pole is so tall that you can't just get on the turnbuckle to fetch the gimmick, you have to climb the pole too. So in the opening moments they have to set up so ideas. One. They want the axe handle so bad that anytime they've got room they're going for it. Two. They need to actually wear eachother down to get the weapon because it takes more effort than anticipated. Three. If you go for the weapon you are risking your safety by giving up your back to your opponent. I think they did that pretty well. I kind of wish they combined the brawling and blood filled hate from the first match with the scrambling for the axe handle in this one, it would have been perfect. Holy crap Chicky's head going into the steel pole looked painful though.  I do love that Chicky got it and instantly lost it. That's such a fun twist, I love it. Just coz you got it doesn't mean you keep it. The finish had one big problem, I'm assuming Invader was supposed to pop himself in the forehead when the axehandle hit the ropes. Otherwise, he totally lost to an atomic drop, which is pretty weak sauce. Fun match that gave me a lot to think about for future weapons on pole matches. 

vs. ERIC EMBRY

GODDAMN THAT LARIAT BUMP IN THE FIST 30 SECONDS I THINK I'M IN LOVE. Man how long did Chicky beg for that handshake while Embry did the belt taunt? I thought production fucked up and it just kept cutting back to the same shots. Chicky is more about charisma and bumping here. The DDT bump looked dead on the top of the noggin, and his strut after Embry's missed cross body was glorious. Also takes those turnbuckles to the head kind of hard with no real padding. The finish was reative, but I had to go back and watch it again, because I didn't realize what had happened. Chicky seems like the quintessential mid-card champion heel, that can get heat, be entertaining for 10 minutes, and is sneaky enough to survive for another date. Loving it so far. NEED MOAR.

JAE LEARNS CHICKY STARR PART 2

vs. WHITE ANGEL: 

Maybe my favorite so far. Brains vs. Brawn. White Angel is solid as the bulky dude who only knows that he can punch kick and full nelson. Chicky plays it smart, trying to outlast him and wear him down. MASTER OF THE REVERSE CHINLOCK. The key lies in making White Angel exert all the energy and hope he falls asleep. Chicky's cutoffs are great, and the taunt he gives after the knee to the gut is so much dickery. It's not enough that he ruined the hero's comeback, he has to celebrate it for the fans. Beautiful.

w/ BOB SWEETAN vs. THE SNAKE & RANDY HASKINS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zd_YO3G9Gc

Nothing much here other than Chicky kinda, sorta working face. The opening exchange with the Snake was fun and I thought it was cool that he did a drop down on his back after an irish whip. Does anyone do that today?

vs. CARLOS COLON (IN DA CAGE) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOdSIUnWGsU

Colon beats the piss out of Chicky for ten minutes. Chicky is so much fun as a ping pong ball bouncing from elbows to turnbuckles. Also he has one of the best "out on his feet" looks in wrestling. I'm finding a lot to love about him but not a classic match yet. This was tons of fun though. Great bumpin' and sellin' and dyin' from Chicky.

...so we just burn the threads when the day is over?

Why am I so alone?

I'm here for you.  You are doing a fine job.  Chicky Starr is fun because you have to use a thousand synonyms for blood because you have to say it so many times.

THE POWER OF DEAN COMPELS ME.

JAE LEARNS CHICKY STARR PART 3 

CHICKY STARR vs. KEITH LARSON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w5edv1hWiA

Nothing to special, though there's some nifty arm counter stuff in the middle. You know what you don't see much of these days? Collar and Elbow Tie-ups AFTER the first couple of minutes. The tie-up has just become this position that people start in out of tradition, and quickly move away from. Here it feels like every time you find yourself at a stand still you go lock back up.

SUPER MEDICO & EL MONARCA vs. CHICKY & RON STARR

Oh, shit, this is worth watching just for the information about how a Mexican wrestler is created. You start 'em young in amateur wrestling so that by the time they're 14 they're great amateur wrestlers. Then it's to the gym where they learn self conditioning. Then they start SEMI-PRO wrestling. Then they learn Judo and SOME Karate and then it's off to the pros. BRILLIANT. 

Chicky does a kickass job by working all the lucha stuff with Monarca and acting completely flabbergasted at this crazy Mexican style - even though he takes everything perfectly. I also how he looks when he finally tags in Ron and Ron gets chased out almost immediately. Also, I really dig it when bad guys call in their partners to break up a hold, like Chicky does while Medico has him locked up. He just nonchalantly waves his hand and Ron comes rushing in. I ain't got time to get myself outta this shit, man. Finally, check out that fucking DDT. That was some mean spirited shit, man.

INVADERS vs. CHICKY & RON STARR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCBKDtYB9U

HOOK THE GODDAMN LEG RON. He wouldn't do it in the last match and he lucked out. He didn't do it in this match and it cost the team. Dolt. Chicky says he's playing this one smart, but in reality he does NOT want to get in the ring with The Invaders. But when he does it's the same old bumpin' and floppin' that I'm growing to love.

Chicky on the Queens show was great because for a guy who's been a heel probably most of his career, it was like he was everyone's favorite uncle.  The one you called to take care of someone who wrong your family.

Someone needs to find the clip of the sports club where I think it's one of the Batten Twins who cuts an awful promo and then Chicky does the Spanish translation and buries the guy.

I recall a Southwest Championship episode in which Chicky Starr gets ambushed by Killer Brooks with a large roll of chain link fencing, and then KTB and cohorts lay the racial epithets upon a prostrate Mr. Starr. After the commercial break, CS gives an amazing bloody promo, with live translation (by Hugo Savinovitch?) which features our hero screaming "PARA MI MADRE" several times to set up the Cage Match (duh). Genius stuff. I may have this trapped on a Beta video cassette.

- RAF

• Like 1