DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Re: Romo being released now instead of June

If people are willing to pay Mike Glennon to start, everyone should be able to enjoy teams gouging each others eyes over someone who might you know...win games and not look horrendous.

They probably released him now as a 'parting' gift to him, so he has more opportunities. Releasing players late that you already know you are going to release is a bit of a dick move. Not an uncommon one, but not a tactic that Jones would use on a player he likes so much on a personal level.

Restructuring Tyrod was the right move. Statistically he is an average to above average QB on a run-first team, $17 mil a year cap average is a perfectly reasonable price for a QB (his cap hit for 2017 is #20 for QBs, #17 right now for 2018 but that'll change) and the Bills had no other QB options waiting in the wings that would have been better. Everyone was obsessed over the $27 mil (which wasn't a cap hit, just his payout) but with that gone it now more reads like a normal contract for a decent QB.

Personally, I like Tyrod so I was hoping they would keep him. He has some issues as all non-elite QBs do, but there were a lot of teams that would rather have Tyrod than their current QB, the Bills could have done a lot worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

They probably released him now as a 'parting' gift to him, so he has more opportunities. Releasing players late that you already know you are going to release is a bit of a dick move. Not an uncommon one, but not a tactic that Jones would use on a player he likes so much on a personal level.

I am sure that is the reason. Also, I don't think the teams that really want Romo (or hard up for a QB) are willing to part with key pieces on their teams or draft picks. Might as well end weird trade rumor speculation.

• Like 1

But anything can happen between now and June 1st. This isn't a contractual time bomb situation like with Manning. Hell, even a 2018 pick would be better than nothing. I can only imagine the schadenfreude around here if some team signs Romo and trades away their current starting QB for picks.

Well, I wasn't expecting this (EDIT - This one is not official yet):  

Also...

3/27 on Branch.  

No details on Stills, but if it's less than 10 per, then I'll be ecstatic. 

Dolphins fans right now:

1Ju5mGZlWAqek.gif

29 minutes ago, Hector said:

But anything can happen between now and June 1st. 

...Except teams don't really run like that. Romo's stock can't be any higher than now, and they couldn't find a proper trade partner.

After the initial FA frenzy, teams are going to realize, "Oh yeah, we don't have an O-line strong enough to protect him..." and then he is going to be less of a hot commodity. Any team that signs him better have a strong backup.

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...Except teams don't really run like that. Romo's stock can't be any higher than now, and they couldn't find a proper trade partner.

After the initial FA frenzy, teams are going to realize, "Oh yeah, we don't have an O-line strong enough to protect him..." and then he is going to be less of a hot commodity. Any team that signs him better have a strong backup.

His stock is sky high. The problem is his market was only ever open to a few select playoff contenders who rightly feigned indifference. Playing hardball with a guy like Romo is a total dick move, but that doesn't mean this wasn't a blown opportunity. BTW, he also would have been a short-term insurance policy in case Dak gets smashed and punches an Uber driver or something. I don't know if you're suggesting that there won't be offers pouring in, but if so, I will take that bet. A smart QB with a cannon for an arm doesn't come along very often. It doesn't matter that he has Jenga tower for a spine.

24 minutes ago, Hector said:

His stock is sky high. The problem is his market was only ever open to a few select playoff contenders who rightly feigned indifference. Playing hardball with a guy like Romo is a total dick move, but that doesn't mean this wasn't a blown opportunity. BTW, he also would have been a short-term insurance policy in case Dak gets smashed and punches an Uber driver or something. I don't know if you're suggesting that there won't be offers pouring in, but if so, I will take that bet. A smart QB with a cannon for an arm doesn't come along very often. It doesn't matter that he has Jenga tower for a spine.

I think this is far from blown opportunity. It's the luck of the draw:

1. Anyone willing to make a looney tunes move like give up a 2018 pick for an oft-injured quarterback 11 seasons into his career when the next year's draft might provide a QB with way more upside would have presented himself by now. He's a very good quarterback and a better option than everyone else on market, BUT he's going to come at a price (and most of the potential interested teams KNOW they need more pieces) and...

2. He's not coming in as a backup unless he can't find a home at all. Dallas lucked out last season, but no way would he ride the pine for another season. That would be insane on all levels. He wants to play, and Dak Prescott is the new QB in town. It was evident he played his last game with Dallas as THE starting QB after the bye week (TBH for me, it was the 2015 Thanksgiving game against the Panthers but anyway...). He wasn't coming back.

Will teams jump at a chance to sign Romo? Hell yeah. Giving shit up is the risky proposition because he might not even be your QB the very next year. Hell, he might be retired if he gets injured again. If he had lost the QB job to Dak over the season instead of in the pre-season (while Dallas was winning), people would be blowing Stephen Jones right now to get Romo. A guy who really hasn't played since 2015 and got injured behind perhaps the best O-line in football isn't the guy you're going to trade away valuable assets for.  If there is a GM willing to do that, I doubt he has anyone Dallas wants to trade for.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Restructuring Tyrod was the right move. Statistically he is an average to above average QB on a run-first team, $17 mil a year cap average is a perfectly reasonable price for a QB (his cap hit for 2017 is #20 for QBs, #17 right now for 2018 but that'll change) and the Bills had no other QB options waiting in the wings that would have been better. Everyone was obsessed over the $27 mil (which wasn't a cap hit, just his payout) but with that gone it now more reads like a normal contract for a decent QB.

Personally, I like Tyrod so I was hoping they would keep him. He has some issues as all non-elite QBs do, but there were a lot of teams that would rather have Tyrod than their current QB, the Bills could have done a lot worse.

I'm glad about this as well. Tyrod's not a complete QB, he needs to improve passing over the middle and staying the pocket more, but I'd rather the Bills have him than Romo or Cutler, AKA Mr. Glass and Mr. Crippling int. . . .

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'm glad about this as well. Tyrod's not a complete QB, he needs to improve passing over the middle and staying the pocket more, but I'd rather the Bills have him than Romo or Cutler, AKA Mr. Glass and Mr. Crippling int. . . .

Yeah, I would take Romo over Tyrod Taylor but then again the Bills aren't winning their division anytime soon.

Kenny Fucking Stills staying in Miami. 4/32/20. 

Which is a good choice for him not because of my own bias, but because having to live up to that kind of contract in Philly, who ultimately finished second, is no effing joke. 

• Like 1