DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Love the Bennett signing by the Packers.  Finally Ted Thompson pulls the trigger early and gets Rodgers his most complete TE of his career.  Gonna be fun watching them in the red zone.

Now hopefully the majority of the rest of the offseason moves are on defense.  36.5 pts against average  the last six Packers playoff losses.  Not winning many championships that way no matter how good your QB is.

Small move but Robbie Gould signed with the Niners so the Giants will need another non-wife punching kicker

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the Niners needed a kicker because Phil Dawson signed with the Cards

47 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

The fact that Cooks' whereabouts are going to need to be accounted for at all times makes their underneath game of Gronk, Edelman and whoever else more dangerous than it already was. 

Oh yes.  I am salivating at Cooks playing in that offence.

Count me in the camp that if the Texans really want Romo, send a 4th over to the Cowboys and be done with it.

Letting this linger just increases the chances that some other teams QBs gets injured in a freak accident or retire or something and Romo gets dealt there (for example, Arizona) and then the Texans are starting Tom Savage with Brandon Weeden backing him up.

Besides, Texans in the Rick Smith era have never drafted anyone decent in the 4th (Tom Savage is the exception? Or the example?).

or I guess we really want Cutler? 

(At least it's not Brock?)

TJ Lang to Detroit, BETRAYAL~! - My father, probably. He's a real dink about free agency and always railed about "loyalty". You know, unless they're coming here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Count me in the camp that if the Texans really want Romo, send a 4th over to the Cowboys and be done with it.

Yeah, they are not giving Romo up for a 4th.

If this is right, the Cowboys  would be lucky to get a 4th. Sounds like the rest of the NFL is not trading for that contract or a 36 yr old who made be made of glass. . . http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697485-tony-romo-trade-rumors-cowboys-reportedly-unlikely-to-deal-qb?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, they are not giving Romo up for a 4th.

Get a fourth or get nothing could easily be their only options, unless you think Denver is going to jump in with something more.

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Get a fourth or get nothing could easily be their only options, unless you think Denver is going to jump in with something more.

If it's an ultimatum, they will let these franchises have a free for all for him after his release and someone's going to regret it dearly by mid season. It's going to be glorious.

Some team is going to regret not having a franchise QB more than Dallas regrets not having a fourth round pick.

Good luck with Tom Savage and/or Trevor Siemian. Or their backups. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Old and injury-prone Romo is worlds better than what several teams currently have. These clubs need to stop being cute about this, unless they want to flush another season down the drain as whatever 4th-stringer they have in the pocket throws five INTs two games in a row.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Old and injury-prone Romo is worlds better than what several teams currently have. These clubs need to stop being cute about this, unless they want to flush another season down the drain as whatever 4th-stringer they have in the pocket throws five INTs two games in a row.

Exactly. I'm hearing and seeing all the reasons why "their" team shouldn't get Tony Romo yet he would be an instant upgrade and their starting QB if he signed there. The Pats got better, and you're not going to win the AFC with a great defense and a "game manager" for a starting QB. If your whole thing for your quarterback is don't lose games, then how can you depend on that person in the playoffs? If your defense gets you there, Romo at least gives you a decent shot at winning a game if he's healthy.

Dallas not taking a 4th rounder maybe looks bad in 2-3 years. The Texans or Broncos relying an average QB will look bad during the season if Romo actually gets signed and plays a decent number of games on another team. If you have a running game and can take the pressure off of Romo from scrambling around, why not sign him? The quarterback you have now can get injured as well too. Bridgewater didn't even get touched and probably won't play football again. At least with Romo, you have to bodyslam him to hurt him. 

I think Dallas is doing the right thing by seeing who is going to blinks first. On the surface, it looks like they have little bargaining power yet they can give away a QB who can probably give you 1-2 quality years. Hell, maybe three seasons if your OLine doesn't let him get speared at some point. If you want to win now, you might as well part with a pick from either of the first two rounds or someone valuable + a 3rd or 4th. If not, hey, Jay Cutler is available. At least your season will be filled with hilarity. Sadness and despair, but hilarity on top of that.

It's not an "if" Romo gets injured, it's a "when". And the smart money says very early in the season. I don't care how great a player he is, if he's in street clothes on gameday it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sabremike said:

It's not an "if" Romo gets injured, it's a "when". And the smart money says very early in the season. I don't care how great a player he is, if he's in street clothes on gameday it doesn't matter.

And if your QB is average, it's doesn't matter how good your defense is in the playoffs. You're going to have an early playoff exit. It's high risk and high reward. The thing is...it's even higher risk if you let another team (or teams) artificially inflate his value on the open market. Instead of getting him when seemingly "no one" wants him, you either have to overpay him or not get him at all. That's how panic moves happen. If you're thinking it's a cheap get, you're just going to be in for a harsher reality check when he finally hits the market. I mean there are many QBs still out there (maybe including Osweiler as well), but none of them are going to make you any better. So either you get Romo with all his presumed risk or you put everyone in suspense to make a lateral move at best. A conference title makes losing a key player much easier to swallow as opposed to handing the Pats another one.

If you really believe Tom Savage, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, or Brandon Weeden gives you the better chance this year, then I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If he signs for anything close to what he's contacted for, I'll be shocked

This offseason is going to be more hilarious if that's even possible.

Romo would be on a new team right now if they had let him take more snaps in the Eagles game. They basically telegraphed to the rest of the league that they have every right to be scared shitless of him getting injured. That and Jerry's comments about his eventual release (likely) sealed the deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

Romo would be on a new team right now if they had let him take more snaps in the Eagles game. They basically telegraphed to the rest of the league that they have every right to be scared shitless of him getting injured. That and Jerry's comments about his eventual release (likely) sealed the deal.

Why the fuck would he need to take more snaps? It was a meaningless game, and you got Eagles running around like it's a win and get-in game for them. You're fucking right Mark Sanchez is playing and Dak, Zeke, and Sean Lee ain't playing.