DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

That, at the time, was viewed as the worst draft in a very long while, and it lived up. Oladipo seems to be clearly the best player from it so far (which was predictable, and I'm kind of astonished he didn't go 1st overall), but after him.... uh. Noel? Caldwell-Pope? Carter-Williams? Dieng, maybe?

Christ that draft..

Doing a re-draft of the 2013 pool, I'd take Antetokounmpo first overall. Schroeder is another guy that is doing really well and probably should be in the top 5 with Noel, Gobert, and Oladipo. KCP is pretty rad too. Good international talent from 2013. McCollum is streaky as hell but when he and Lillard are on, holy shit, look out.

KCP is quietly developing into a top notch perimeter defender. Should be a solid 3 and D guy for a long time.

MCW will never live up to the way he stated his NBA career. It raised expectations way to high for a guy that was actually the 11th pick in a weak draft.

The gap between Giannis and Gobert, both in terms of potential and current production, is huge.  Giannis is currently making a leap that will separate him from the rest of the class.  This time next year no one will be putting those 2 in the same sentence.

That draft is very weak at the top, but the middle round picks aren't bad at all.  A great year for combo guards.

Edit:  Here is Giannis' line from last night by the way:  18-17-11-4-2!

• Like 1

Giannis' February was absolutely sick. 16.8/9.7 boards/4.9 assists. He also had two triple-doubles (including an insane 27/12/10 against the Lakers).

He's 21.

He might break out next year to an All-NBA type player. I don't think that's hyperbole. He's really efficient and can do absolutely anything he wants on a basketball court. It's just a matter of him figuring out when it's appropriate to do what he wants to do in terms of decision making.

I love him so much.

One of the big problems for him was his predilection to drive, spin, and make a bad pass as the defensive group collapsed knowing nobody but Middleton is likely to hit a shot from outside. Is he still doing this?

He's one of my favourite players that I don't get to see much of but his skill-set is fucking awesome and terrifying for the rest of the league. A dream combo of mine would be Giannis at the 3 and Porzingis at the 4. Two unicorns on the court at the same time.

One of the big problems for him was his predilection to drive, spin, and make a bad pass as the defensive group collapsed knowing nobody but Middleton is likely to hit a shot from outside. Is he still doing this?

I think he is getting much better at this sort of thing.  In the past it was more "my move didn't work, I should pass now" and now it's more "I need to facilitate to open things up."

That's really the trick.  I don't think he will ever develop into a great shooter, but if he can continue to develop his vision/passing he will be even more frightening as a slasher.  Not there yet, but he is making strides in the right direction.

I'll take a dude shooting 50% from the field along with everything else he does. He's not shooting a ton from deep (just 1.2 a game). He's so friggin' tall and athletic. He'll be fine getting off shots he can make.

He really reminds me of Detlef Schrempf or Toni Kucoc in terms of his length and multifaceted abilities in a body like that. And while he is shaped nothing like him, he also has a bit of Anthony Mason in him. Mase brought the ball up the floor/initiated the Knicks and especially Hornets in his All-NBA prime.

Giannis might become Draymond; The 6'11 Sequel at some point if he gets nasty on defense. A guy with that length who can chase anyone all over the court is what everyone on the NBA is currently hoping they can unearth.

The Bulls just let the Heat run a billion PnRs.  Like, I know it is a PnR dominated league, but HOLY SHIT.  They knew we couldn't guard it and just kept running the damn thing.  OVER AND OVER.  They almost shot 70% from the field.

This stretch of horrible basketball isn't Pau Gasol's fault, but the PnR defense is legit about 90% his fault.

We might as well make a play for Whiteside this summer just so he can't torment us.

Someone on reddit compiled Evan Turner quotes and... welp that's all I need to say.

On returning to Philly- Dec. 12, 2014.

• "Before the game I signed like 100,000 autographs, I'm kissing babies and what not and all that stuff. I'm getting my hand kissed by people; I got little girls come up to me, fainting. Once the game started, it was like, 'What the hell is going on?' I was like, 'This is weird. Did they take all the good people out? ... I don't worry about it anymore. I don't want to sound super weird, but Jesus was hated, too. At the end of the day, I just worry about the stuff that's important. If it makes you happy to boo me, go ahead. I'm still happy. I put all that stuff behind me."

On deferring to Jae Crowder on for a game winner- Nov. 26th, 2015

• "When I was dribbling, I was like, 'Oh, snap, I’m at 15 feet, I’m about to end this.' And then I thought about [Michael Jordan] passing toSteve Kerr. And I thought, 'Well, let me add that to my legacy. I’ll pass one time.' And that was it. It was unbelievable, actually. Ingenious by me."

On coming off the bench for the C’s, 2015

• "[brad Stevens] spoke to me. I had to smell his breath for alcohol. I checked his office for drugs. I said, ‘You’ve gotta be high.’ You know what I’m saying? But I kept it classy, of course, and I trust the process. And that was it. But it’s unbelievable, right?"

On resolutions for 2016- Late 2015

• I’m just trying to stay out the way. That’s it. You know what I’m saying? Once again, I have a '27 years without getting arrested' streak, so I wanna keep that up. Maybe texting people back quicker. Stop lying about not seeing people’s text messages. That would help. Checking my email more, maybe. You know what I’m saying, kind of to be more dependable in that aspect."

On Birthday Expectations- Oct 27, 2015

• "I first found out about a golden birthday when I was 8. You go to school and it could be a kid’s birthday on like Nov. 8, he turns 8. So when he told us what it was I was like, 'I’m gonna be 27 before it becomes my golden birthday and it won’t be that cool and nobody will care anymore.' So, I finally got here and I’m blessed to have gotten here. I’ve really been looking forward to this golden birthday for, like, 19 or 20 years."

• "Honestly, not to like go too deep into it or be a hipster about it, but if you’re gonna be nice to me one day a year, my life sucks."

On his shooting- Feb. 21 2016

• “You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy like that is always lethal."
  • “It’s 15%, but it’s a big 15%"

On Kobe’s final trip to Boston- Dec. 29th 2015

• People will say it's for Kobe, but deep down it's probably for me.

On The Sixers- Oct. 7th, 2014

• “They have like 12 new guys every time I see them”

On dreams of being the NBA Logo- Nov. 10th, 2015

• “Obviously a lot more women would be into the game”

On Sports outside of basketball- Sept. 23, 2015

• “Any intramural teams at Harvard need a quarterback? I might stop by and join a team. I only throw spirals”*

On his in-game 360 dunk- Dec. 9th, 2015

• “I probably shouldn’t make any plans for All-Star Weekend now.”

On missing the 2015 All-Star Game- Feb. 11th, 2015

• "50 Shades of Grey is coming out, so I might catch that."

On gastrointestinal distress- June 19th, 2012

• “I been on the toilet all night, my butt crack feels like it has sun burn #pause. I'm so annoyed”

On the Hater life cycle- Jan 13th, 2013

• “There will always be haters, that’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids”

On Michigan- Feb 16th, 2016

• “Lol Muck Fichigan”

On the Celtics bench in practice- Jan 29th, 2016

• (Referring to the Uconn Womens Basketball Program)- “We’ve been on that level”

On Dirk’s Marital Status- July 13th, 2011

• “Well I’ll be damned. Dirk got himself a sister.”

On Lebron James- April 10th, 2015

• “I threw away my LeBron poster in high school,” Turner said, “so I don’t care how much he played tonight.”

On first playing Kobe- Dec 29th, 2015

• "I had teammates that said, ‘When you go out there, don’t look at him in his eye. Don’t talk to him or anything; it’s going to give him an edge.’ Like he’s some type of pit bull or something. ... Then he came up to me and patted me on my back. He was like, ‘How you doing? How’s your mom?’ I was like, ‘She’s all right.'

On receiving passes in bad spacing- Jan 28th, 2016

• “Kelly had the ball and I’m like… he better not pass it to me. It’s like an unwritten rule of the NBA. So I’m like, ‘he better not pass it to me’… and the ball is coming toward me and I’m like ‘This dude is a big asshole’. Like… the whole time I’m looking at him like ‘You better not pass me this ball, what are you doing bro?”

On twitter and the ladies- Feb 15th, 2010

• “Its funny how people wanna bother me on vday instead of being with girls! Lol wowwww”

On his relationship status- Dec. 22, 2015

• “I’m married to guap. Taken.”

On How to get courtside seats- Dec 22, 2015

• “Purchase them at the ticket office or flirt with someone who works at the garden and finesse your way to courtside”

On the choice of feeding one’s cat or buying his T shirt- Dec. 21st 2015

• “If your cat dies of hunger it will still have 8 lives ... So yeah cop the tee ASAP rocky”

Legend.

• Like 3

Holy shit, Thunder co-owner Aubrey McClendon died in a single-car crash this morning, one day after being indicted by a grand jury in a price-fixing case.

I used to work for an energy trade publication. We didn't go more than three days without mentioning him or Chesapeake (his old company). He was sort of the Donald Trump of the energy industry. He really gave zero craps about what he thought.

He was the keynote speaker at this natural gas conference I covered. The press had a few minutes with him. He redefined the word arrogant. He later then walked outside into a group of anti-fracking protesters, gave them the finger, and then got into a limo that whisked him away. Total real life heel. I actually sort of liked him because who the hell acts like that?

His niece is Kate Upton, too.

Also: Yesterday's indictment was far from the first time he has been in trouble. He had all sorts of shady loans from his old company when he was still their CEO and the like.

One involved him putting up his stake in the Thunder for collateral. I also suspected that was a reason why they traded Harden. No way the other owners (or Stern) were cool with that. Imagine if a 25% stake in a team (let alone one as popular as OKC) fell in the hands of some banking entity without the NBA having any say whatsoever? That's a punishable offense and what better way to do so than by forcing a truly great player off of the team? (I doubt that is true but that was my speculation at the time.)

I had always heard that the Harden trade, and OKC's general policy of avoiding the luxury tax, was a result of McClendon being so heavily leveraged in all his other business deals.

On the Hater life cycle- Jan 13th, 2013

• “There will always be haters, that’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids”

This is a good quote.

Someone on reddit compiled Evan Turner quotes and...

I heard a really funny Evan Turner story when he was on the Sixers.

I worked with this kid who was out of college for about two months. He graduated from Temple. He was dating someone on the women's soccer team, so he was always at the women's soccer team house for weekend parties.

And Evan Turner was there. Every single weekend. And apparently he went to a lot of Temple women's soccer games. But he was not dating anyone on the team. He just loved Temple Owls women's soccer and became friends with a bunch of the players. This on its face makes no sense. But even weirder, Temple doesn't have a soccer field on its campus. The soccer teams play in this really out-of-the-way suburb north of the city at the school's satellite campus. Maybe he lived near Ambler, PA for some reason but I highly doubt it.

What a strange human being.

OKC is embarrassing on defense. Does Ibaka even try to block shots anymore? I don't know what his stats are this year but he doesn't look like a player to be feared like he once was. Sad. Watching the first half of the Warriors game.... so, so many uncontested layups.

He's averaging 2.1 a game so far, which would be his lowest since his rookie year when he averaged 1.3 in just about 18 minutes a night.

Partially it's because he plays away from the basket more, guarding stretch 4's instead of being in the paint.

Edit: Someone else can look up what people are shooting at the rim near him.