DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2016.

The Natural

I really hope HHH is #2, and the story with him and Roman is resolved about halfway through with both of them getting eliminated somehow. Then the finishing run can be Brock vs. The World with some fresh, inspiring challengers.

That'll be fun to fantasize about for a few days.

That's a swell idea, HHH at 2 probably won't be met with the same level of apathy and disdain as HHH at #30 will but as recent Rumble history shows us HHH will be #30 and it will almost certainly be HHH/Roman final two and the chorus of boos will be deafening unless the crowd just gives up and makes no sound what so ever other than the sound of 10,000+ people shrugging there shoulders in defeat at the same time.

I don't know how to feel about this Roman Reigns title run except to say that this is the worst a world champ has ever been booked in this company, and that includes Rey Mysterio's WHC reign. 

I don't know how to feel about this Roman Reigns title run except to say that this is the worst a world champ has ever been booked in this company, and that includes Rey Mysterio's WHC reign. 

...what? 

I mean, can you not read, champ? 

• Like 1

Roman's been the best booked champion since Randy Orton

Yeah just because the show sucks doesn't mean that Roman is being booked terribly, he's not he's just suffering from a lack of good heels, bad writing and half the crowd hating him because he is Vince's "chosen one". Rey lost more than he won as champ (or at least it felt like that), Sheamus was a blatant placeholder for Roman, Rollins was not booked well as champ one minute he was a great technician who could beat any one next he is a coward then he's a comedy guy and it all just cycled from week to week sometime between segments he had no consistency.

Champions booked worse than Roman Reigns:

Rey Mysterio, Jack Swagger, Edge, Miz, Christian, Big Show, Chris Jericho Undisputed Championship era, Randy Orton, ADR, the majority of Punk's long reign, Dolph Ziggler

Seth Rollins says hello

• Like 2

Punk's reign was booked fine, Big Show's first reign and Swagger's reign were simply stopgaps, Rey's is the only one on the level of Reigns and could be argued fairly. The rest of those don't even register. 

What makes Reigns's reign worse is that he's supposed to be their next Cena and they had him lose the title the first time via cash-in and then enter a feud with a seventy-year-old man and his heat-killing daughter. You might argue that Diesel's reign was booked as poorly except that they actually have talent that they could build up and slot in against Reigns that would make things work. 

People acted like that pop Reigns got for winning was anything but a "holy shit, the title changed hands on a RAW and that never happens" pop because on RAW and at PPV, no one gives a fuck about Reigns. How do you fuck up a guy that everyone was sure was a star two years ago this badly? It's egregious.

Rollins was booked like a doofus, but he's a cocky heel who was in over his head, so that's a bit easier to swallow. Reigns is supposed to be your hero unstoppable babyface and he's out here getting threatened by fuckin' Sheamus and the corpse of Bray Wyatt. Bringing Lesnar in is a good idea because Reigns/Lesnar, while obvious as the route to go, is the most logical option available, but not in a Rumble where the go-home show ends with an ice-cold-as-a-heel Wyatt Family beating the shit out of both these guys. It needs to be one-on-one at WM if they really want to get Reigns over and fuck what the live audience might think or do. 

Brushing Vince off as a "70 year old man" is ridiculous. He's VINCE MCMAHON. 

"How do you fuck up a guy that everyone was sure was a star two years ago this badly?"

They were pushing him the way he should have been until Daniel Bryan fans pouted and ruined everything. It set him back almost 2 years.

"How do you fuck up a guy that everyone was sure was a star two years ago this badly?"

They were pushing him the way he should have been until Daniel Bryan fans pouted and ruined everything. It set him back almost 2 years.

Not in my house, bud. In my house, he just looks really old. It's sad. If he looked like he did in 1999, maybe. 

I am fine with admitting that it might work for other fans, but for me, nope. That character has run it's course because Vince is just a bit too aged for that role. HHH should be the one out there taking those asswhoopings (though I'm assuming they're still playing up the beatdown after TLC and keeping HHH off-screen for the most part right now). 

As for the lame Daniel Bryan shit which has been rehashed to death, fuck that noise. If they really wanted to get Reigns over, they should have pushed him in a way that would not have put the heat on him for their de-push of Bryan. Anyone who complains about the fans' complaining is deluded. It's not my job to cheer for whatever Vince presents. He's the creative talent. He needs to figure out how to frame his guys so that they are successful. This is the big problem with the main roster shows. Vince doesn't protect anyone. He can't even protect Reigns right. The only guy who has come off as special lately is Brock because he beat the Undertaker and destroyed John Cena, and before then he was doing jobs to Triple fucking H, so it's not like that's consistent either. 

EDIT: I am sick and tired of talking about Daniel Bryan at this point, so unless he comes back or gets released and goes to another company, I'm over it. It's like I live shitty 2015 WWE over and over again just via this board sometimes. 

Not in my house, bud. In my house, he just looks really old. It's sad. If he looked like he did in 1999, maybe. 

I am fine with admitting that it might work for other fans, but for me, nope. That character has run it's course because Vince is just a bit too aged for that role. HHH should be the one out there taking those asswhoopings (though I'm assuming they're still playing up the beatdown after TLC and keeping HHH off-screen for the most part right now). 

As for the lame Daniel Bryan shit which has been rehashed to death, fuck that noise. If they really wanted to get Reigns over, they should have pushed him in a way that would not have put the heat on him for their de-push of Bryan. Anyone who complains about the fans' complaining is deluded. It's not my job to cheer for whatever Vince presents. He's the creative talent. He needs to figure out how to frame his guys so that they are successful. This is the big problem with the main roster shows. Vince doesn't protect anyone. He can't even protect Reigns right. The only guy who has come off as special lately is Brock because he beat the Undertaker and destroyed John Cena, and before then he was doing jobs to Triple fucking H, so it's not like that's consistent either. 

EDIT: I am sick and tired of talking about Daniel Bryan at this point, so unless he comes back or gets released and goes to another company, I'm over it. It's like I live shitty 2015 WWE over and over again just via this board sometimes. 

Vince is bigger than Roman. He also protected Roman so well that in ONE NIGHT, he got the same Philly crowd that shit all over Roman's Rumble win to end the show chanting "You deserve it" and YES chants.

And then that went away. Because they can have things work for one night, they can't for one month.

This is a company which has legitimately destroyed every hot act it's had in the last 2 and a half years not named Roman Reigns though, so it shouldn't be a surprise they can't keep people over. The SHIELD members are all less over then they were in early 2014, as are the Wyatts. Rusev is back to midcard purgatory. Cesaro has gone from "hot act people are into" to "Guy with no direction" like 4 times. Owens fell back to the pack within 3 months of getting called up. Heck, even Ziggler who had the awesome moment at Survivor Series was given absolutely nothing to do with it afterwards.

Just about all of those acts were very over at the time of there rise, and the WWE has failed to keep any of them over. And that's on the writing, not the wrestlers. And Vince is in charge there. So...

• Like 1

And where is Roman now? Getting lukewarm responses again. 

Vince got a title change on a free TV show over, but Reigns's long-term outlook is still shitty. Vince on TV is also giving rapidly diminishing returns with dead crowds back as the norm. It was an extremely short-term fix. 

In what way has Roman not been protected since winning the title on Raw?

I think the Royal Rumble match is a bad idea unless he wins it. He's choked in high-profile matches for the gold up to that RAW match with Sheamus. He should win this. He needs it badly. He needs to come in at one and toss Lesnar as the last guy and cement himself as champ, though then again, I wouldn't have Lesnar in this because I'd have Lesnar ready to job to Reigns at WM. 

Cutting terrible promos against Steph which portrayed him as having "no means of feeding his family" if he was fired for a start. That was already a bad direction, as making him look sympathetic has been proven to be the wrong direction to go with Roman. The crowd doesn't want "Guy fighting from underneath that emerges victorious". We've had that for a damned decade with Cena, and people have stopped buying it.

• Like 1

I think the Royal Rumble match is a bad idea unless he wins it. He's choked in high-profile matches for the gold up to that RAW match with Sheamus. He should win this. He needs it badly. He needs to come in at one and toss Lesnar as the last guy and cement himself as champ, though then again, I wouldn't have Lesnar in this because I'd have Lesnar ready to job to Reigns at WM. 

So he's not being protected by the booking of a match that hasn't even happened yet? The entire roster is going to be going after him at the Rumble, so if he doesn't win, he's going to be eliminated by 29 dudes. That seems like protection. And if he wins, he beats the entire roster.

Cutting terrible promos against Steph which portrayed him as having "no means of feeding his family" if he was fired for a start. That was already a bad direction, as making him look sympathetic has been proven to be the wrong direction to go with Roman. The crowd doesn't want "Guy fighting from underneath that emerges victorious". We've had that for a damned decade with Cena, and people have stopped buying it.

Crowds do want that. They've always wanted that. That's why WWE has used the booking trope since Bruno. But we're in an era where people now won't acknowledge that Austin was booked as the "overcome the odds" champion.

When Austin was rivals with Vince, the point of the angle was to show that Austin was really good and really important, and Vince knew it. He just didn't want someone like him as champ because he wasn't what "should" be a champion as he was a drunken ass kicker who wouldn't go along with what he wanted. The difference between that and Reigns is that Reigns immediately after taking the title was told that he was "Not important", and he himself said that he wouldn't be able to feed his family. That's stupid. 

You know what was one of the things that made the Punk angle so awesome? It was him saying he'd leave and take the belt to New Japan, or Ring of Honor. He had power. He felt like an important deal. If you wanna make Reigns look like an actual badass who is important (which they are trying so damned hard to do), have him say, I have your belt, I dare you to fire me, cause I'll take this belt with me and work in front of 500 people if I have to. Don't cut your lead face off at the knee and make him look like a wimp.