DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

No, people apply the glory hunter to anyone that supports Man United if they aren't from Manchester (or if they didn't have a parent who was a Man U supporter, who raised them to be one), or started supporting them between 1992 and 2013.

I casually support Man U because they were the first English squad that I was aware of when I was younger. I still support them because I have not picked up regular EPL viewing like I have wanted to in recent years. It's the same reason I supported DC United in MLS, although with both Atlanta and Orlando getting teams, I am eventually probably switching my allegiance to a team I can drive and see on occasion. Supporting them is kind of the opposite of me in sports-fan taste because I tend to root against teams like Alabama, The Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys (although, at 10 who didn't like Aikman, Emmitt, Jimmy, and Irvin?), etc.

Take with large grain of salt,but Neil Ashton said on NBC this AM that was a story going around that Wayne has an offer to play next year in China.

I presume if you are United and can unload his £22m contract, you do it. Esp if you csn use the money to bring in Bale or some mega star.

I would say he's in the third tier beneath those guys too. The fact Spurs ripped off Madrid shouldn't hide the fact he's not an elite player. I'd put him in the same group of players with Griezmann and Özil.

I would say he's in the third tier beneath those guys too. The fact Spurs ripped off Madrid shouldn't hide the fact he's not an elite player. I'd put him in the same group of players with Griezmann and Özil.

I'd agree with that. He's definitely not on the level of Zlatan, Lewandowski or Neuer (as much as you could make a comparison with a goalie). I'd put Özil on the second tier, though.

What the hell has Zlatan done in the last 3 years that anyone would rank him over Bale? I feel like he's a brilliant player that gets an incredible amount of leash for doing Not Very Much Of Any Importance because of his star personality as much as anything.

Lewandowski has been amazing the last year. Just amazing. He's actually good enough teams should want no part of Poland at the Euros just in case he has one of THOSE games.

He basically single-handedly assured Sweden qualified for the Euros and has scored 15 goals in 13 league games (with 6 assists). Come on now. Zlatan is fucking crazy but he's also one of the most gifted players we've seen the last 20 years.

He's a tremendous player but I don't think he's done much in Champion's League that's made a real difference for a while and let's face it that's why he's in Paris. PSG dominating France is virtually a foregone conclusion.

We're splitting hairs here mind you. This is the "Messi hasn't willed Argentina to victory" discussion, I acknowledge. But I would take Lewandowski in 2015 over Zlatan in 2015 without even pausing to think about that.

He's got 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 European games. That's not bad. I think Lewa is the second best striker going today but Zlatan's not far behind. 

Plus, I think Zlatan probably has the best collection of golazos. 

Palace in 5th (above United and Liverpool), 10 points separating 1st from 10th, 4 teams above the drop zone that are only 3 points above 18th placed Newcastle (including Chelsea :D)... This season has been nuts and I hope the insanity continues.

So, with the huge increase in TV moneys next season, how much money do newly promoted teams get so they're not completely outmuscled financially? 

• Like 1

The ten points separating 1st from 10th is unprecedented. The two points separating 5th from 10th after 19 games is ridiculous. It really could go anyone's way.

• Like 1

What it would look like if you told people back in July about the results up to this point (just replace Chewbacca with the table):

Also, big LOL at the post-match shenanigans in East London. Klopp and Sam got at each other in the tunnel, a cop advised Klopp to calm down, Sam called him a "soft German" in his interview and then described the month of December for his club in one word: "shite". I really hope this isn't just an anomaly and we get zany shit like this from now on.

Predictions on where Leicester finish? 1st? Top 4? Relegation battle?

If they hang on to Vardy and that beauty Mahrez, they ought to finish in the top 4. The City match showed they're adapting to playing near the top of the table. They still went for it when they brought on Ulloa late, but they were relatively pragmatic and looked really tight at the back end. Fucking Terminator ruled it.

How about Spuds? Top 4? Win the league? Relegation battle (lol)? Dele Alli is unreal and Dembele has been one of the best players in the league. Of all the Liverpool transfer fuckups the past 5 years, not signing Dele Alli, a Liverpool supporter and somebody who idolized Gerrard (and plays quite a bit like him), has to be the worst of the bunch. A possible 1-2 punch in the middle of Alli and Can makes me very sad. My guess is they finish second after bottling it on the last day of the season. Stories about Arsene Wenger putting small amounts of arsenic in their food Friday night circulate, as Arsenal win the league. That 2006 story is seriously one of the best ridiculous sporting stories evar.