DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

Someone over at the board is recapping JTG's book. It's...something else. Probably the highlight:

So JTG talks about being a huge fan of Bret Hart, and says WWE started making him shades called 'Yo-Yo-Yo' shades. They debuted it at a Cyber Sunday and JTG says they were a huge hit, but there still wasn't plans for full production. Nonetheless, months pass and after a meeting with WWE's lead coordinator of merchandise, the shades are a go. So with all that going well for him, JTG does an interview with WWE magazine and is asked how to describe his relationship with Shad. JTG, without thinking, says, 'friendship, bond, loyalty, respect' and quickly corrects himself and tells the writer not to include those last two words. The writer says, "Okay, I understand. I get it. I know how some of you guys can be sensitive about your gimmicks and catchphrases." Of course when the interview is released, both words are still there.

- Cena meets him in the bathroom as he's taking a piss,

'"Hey, JTG? Is that you in there? I was reading the latest WWE magazine. Interesting article with you and your tag team partner. Nice choice of words." I already knew where he was going with this. I immediately started to plead my case. I told him that a lot of the article was embellished, and that I told the writer not to use those two words, especially not in the same sentence. I finally came out of the stall. He looked me dead in my eyes and said, "You might be telling the truth. The magazine guys are known for putting words in peoples' mouths to make an exciting article. They've done that a few times to me also. But there still has to be consequences and repercussions. This can't go unpunished. You know those cool shades that you have coming out? We're gonna have to put those on hold. That will make us 'Even Steven.'"

100% true or not, John Cena: Future Serial Killer is a gimmick I can get behind.
  • Like 1

I absolutely do not buy that story at all.

Cena ain't reading the fucking magazine. Nobody is reading the magazine. And why would Cena want to put their sunglasses on hold? What would that gain him?

I wish I could remember the exact source, but I sort of remember a Bobby Heenan shoot interview where he said that DDP was throwing worked punches, and that they were trying to work the locker room. Can anyone verify this??

Lance Storm has told this story a few times and he says the fight was legit and that basically Steiner would've killed DDP if he (Storm) and like 5 other guys weren't there to break it up. He said Steiner was trying to gouge out DDP's eyes and that DDP was a mess after the fight. If they were working everyone, they're seriously dedicated to their craft.

I think DDP told the story on Cabana's show recently, except he was full-on Yoga master positivity man and laughing all throughout the story because he felt he got the upper hand initially. By all accounts, Steiner was killing Page and the boys let it go for a while because they were sick of DDP.

JTG's stories about the insane amount of petiness that goes on have been backed up and are likely true.

Cena creepily following wrestlers into the bathroom and making shadowy, menacing threats does sound crazy though and, at the very least, is very exaggerated.

Which is too bad, because "Calm, but totally insane nutcase" Cena would be amazing.

Which is too bad, because "Calm, but totally insane nutcase" Cena would be amazing.

Judging by Cena's stance on important issues like laundry hampers, this is probably too close to Cena's real-life personality.

• Like 1

In reference to JTG and Cena hahaha that reads like the start of some amaaaazing slash fic. There is no possible way that story is true.

I read it the same way.  Glad it ended before the angry yet undenaibly passionate lovemaking. 

"This can't go unpunished," Cena breathed angrily in my ear, never breaking eye contact and barely able to contain his rage.  I then heard his jorts fall to the cold tile of the bathroom floor, the sound echoing across the empty expanse.  I knew it was time for an "Attitude Adjustment" and I was powrless to resist.

I'm drawing a total blank here and it's driving me crazy.  Somebody made a podcast appearance recently and discussed a Cena confrontation, maybe related to a guy using a move similar to the FU or STF?  

• Like 4

50 Shades of Cena.

IIRC, it was Tyler Reks who said something about him using a finisher similar to Cena's FU and him going absolutely batshit and threatening to have him fired.

I can buy JTG's story to a degree.  Or, at least it's not too far-fetched. Someone is thumbing through the magazine out of boredom, sees what JTG has said, and shows it to Cena--who they know will read the article and get ticked off.  Cena wants to catch JTG in a compromised spot where he can't do anything, so cornering him in a bathroom stall makes sense.

As for Cena having the shades cancelled--that's where the story gets dicey.

More likely someone who didn't like JTG stooged him off to Cena.  I wonder if this conflict ended the whole "CTC" angle.  Or maybe not, as I seem to recall hearing that it ended because of Cena not wanting to delute his character and/or give away his heat by being part of a team.

I know about Reks, but there was somebody else.  It'll come to me.

Still not as good as the Biff Busick/Chris Jericho stall story.

JTG's stories about the insane amount of petiness that goes on have been backed up and are likely true.

Cena creepily following wrestlers into the bathroom and making shadowy, menacing threats does sound crazy though and, at the very least, is very exaggerated.

"American Psycho" John Cena

I have to return some videotapes.

• Like 1

From a WCW Page.

WCW @ Richmond, VA - Coliseum - December 18, 2000 (2,872)

Kevin Nash, Sid Vicious, and Diamond Dallas Page refused to work the taping; during the night, there was a backstage fight between Page and WCW World Champion Scott Steiner

Anyone have background to this?

Also happy anniversary to the WCW relaunch that never happened. 05/06/01. WCW "The Big Bang" on PPV.

IIRC, Steiner was being a piece of shit and directing vile insults at Kimberly Page, so DDP scrapped with him and got beat up. Then, Nash and Page grabbed their bags and walked out of the tapings, saying they'd come back when things were safer. I don't remember Sid being noted as walking out with them in any versions of the story, though. 

Kimberly discusses this in a shoot, it's covered in maybe something like Death of WCW, and it might have been discussed elsewhere. 

So the story goes Kim got Tammy fired when drugs were found backstage, Tammy was "clean" at the time and I think later on someone admitted the drugs weren't Tammy's. Kim and Tammy didn't like each other, so that's why Kim ratted out Tammy.

Scott is/was a friend of Tammy and Chris, got wind of all this and cut a scathing promo on Kim and Dallas in the ring because that's what everyone did in WCW at the time, bury people in the ring and on TV for stuff that occurs backstage.

DDP says he's gonna fight Steiner in the back, people laugh at Page because Steiner is still a legit wrestler even roided out beyond human belief. Steiner gets back, he and Page have words, it takes 5-6 wrestlers to save Page's life. Nash/Page/Sid all leave citing an unsafe work environment.

Wow, that story about Shamrock's free agency is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it because I never knew just how competitive it was to sign him. 

• Like 1

IT's amazing that Scott played the sane brother of the team, and Rick was the one who was a little out there.  Turns out in real life it was the complete opposite.  I wish Scotty would write a book.  I also wish someone could pinpoint the exact moment where he lost his fucking mind.  I might start a Kickstarter so I could film a documentary on Scott Steiner.  

IT's amazing that Scott played the sane brother of the team, and Rick was the one who was a little out there.  Turns out in real life it was the complete opposite.  I wish Scotty would write a book.  I also wish someone could pinpoint the exact moment where he lost his fucking mind.  I might start a Kickstarter so I could film a documentary on Scott Steiner.  

There's a 'great' shoot interview where someone is asking him questions about his early career and he legit hasn't got a clue what the guy is talking about.

Haha yeah I've seen that. They had to explain to him what The Varsity Club was, and his response was "Did that really happen? It must have been the shits"

Also thanks to those who pointed out that I was indeed thinking of the Bagwell DDP fight.