DVDVR Message Board

DDP Yoga Inspirational Thread

Jerry Hattrick

I have seen others post about this and have seen the rave reviews of it. So I thought I would finally give it ago. I did not find a devoted topic to DDP Yoga. This could be used for all kinds of discussion, from reviews to inspiring others. 

I am a week in being 40 and thought it was about damn time I get my ass back into my military shape. I am also a 21.5 year Type 1 diabetic veteran, and have not lifted a weight for 8 years now. Exercise is a key component to keeping healthy blood sugar levels, along with a sensible diet.

I have decided to go balls out and get The Warrior Pack. I am one that does not half-ass anything. When I make up my mind to do something, I get it done.

Also, I am going to attempt to get my mom involved. She is 62, obese, and mildly disabled from an accident at work back in '82. She continued to work until 2011 until her body just flat out gave out on her. She has done every diet you can think of. Bought an exercise bike. Sold it in a yard sale. Bought a treadmill. Sold it in a yard sale.  This will be quite a hurdle. She lacks will power like you wouldn't believe. She wants to lose the weight and get feeling healthy sooo bad. 

I have my own ailments, from bone spurs in my spine to my knees being junk due them dislocating on me three times. 

How about it ladies and gents? Are you in with me?

• Like 1

Started doing it, and it was definitely helping my back, but it caused some problems with one of my knees. I'm pretty heavy, and my doctor's PA (who is also a yoga instructor herself) suggested I might want to hold off until I drop some weight. I'm thinking of adapting it somehow, e.g. sitting on a stool and just doing the upper body part.

If you're having trouble because of weight, pay attention to the person DDP has assigned for the alternate positions.  They're generally set up for people that are on the heavy side or have bad joints to modify the exercises to make it easier but still get the benifit.  DDP's big thing is keeping all the exercises accessable for everyone all around.  Seriously, I've stayed on Fat Burner for a while and not moved up (I did try Black Diamond once, and it kicked the living shit out of me) and added Red Hot Core in twice a week and its been fine.

My left shoulder is totally fucked from an injury playing with my 90 lbs Mastiff that tore a ligiment and it never healed right, so I've had lots of trouble with my weight (I'm over 300) on the pushups, but switching to the knees allowed me to do it.  I know Arthur is DDP's non-wrestling Go-To succes story, but he was on crutches before he started, so he's got a lot of suggestions for modifying exercises for people with real shitty joints.

I always meant to get it, then heard Jake and DDP on Jericho's podcast.  After hearing that I immediately bought the pack and I absolutely love it.  I have weak shoulders and am obese to a degree.  The times I've used it it definitely helped with the shoulders.  Some days it would kick my ass, but I can't say I was ever really sore.  I held off after fracturing my right foot, but now that I'm in the final stages of recovery I feel it's time to give it another go (avoiding anything foot-related of course)

The one part I'll have difficulty with is the foods.  Generally around here they're pretty damn expensive, so I'm going to need to find ways to at least work some of that in.

DDP really should go in the WWE HOF.  Aside from his accomplishments in the ring this program saved Jake Roberts AND Scott Hall.  There were death pools for those guys not too long ago.  That's a helluva feat in itself.

I love that I've gotten into a routine with this. I normally workout 3-4 times during the week and skip the weekend/vacation. Now I feel weird if I don't do it and even did two workouts when I was on vacation in Miami last weekend.

The one part I'll have difficulty with is the foods.  Generally around here they're pretty damn expensive, so I'm going to need to find ways to at least work some of that in.

Getting organic food is sometimes expensive, but that's only if you go Level 3 right? What specifically is holding you back?

Not trying to be mean, just curious.

Getting organic food is sometimes expensive, but that's only if you go Level 3 right? What specifically is holding you back?

Not trying to be mean, just curious.

The main one that got me for level 3  was cutting out dairy.  I love dairy and would have a helluva time cutting that.  There were a couple other parts that I was hesitant about, but am drawing a blank on it right now.

I feel that for now just doing the yoga and trying to eat decently should be a good start.  I don't know if I'll ever consider doing level 2 or 3.  Oh, and no beer.  That is not going to work with me, especially since we're brewing beer in hopefully a couple weeks.

Ah yeah, I would struggle with the no beer thing. Well made beer is kinda nutritious anyway.

Ultimately DDP's diet plan is one of many out there and if it doesn't work for you then find another one. From what I can tell, you are allowed dairy - just not cow dairy. From what I know about the beef industry, I'm definitely pro going organic for milk (unless you know and trust the farmer the milk comes from). Yoghurt is more easily digestible than milk.  Heating milk can break down lactose. There are definitely intermediate steps here, it's not all or nothing.

• Like 1

I think for now I'm starting with the basics and being consistent with that.  Jumping full-on into this might not be best considering the shit I've had before.  If I gradually transition to it I'll have better results in the long run.

• 2 months later...

Well keep in mind that DDP is the guy who said diet soda has more calories than regular soda and its zero calorie claims are the result of some sort of government conspiracy.  I wouldn't go all in on his nutrition advice. 

We all know what we should and shouldn't be eating.  Just do your best.