DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

That assumes that MMA isn't fake. Considering they ran a masked man angle for the Tito Ortiz fight on that show, I have my doubts.

Especially since the masked man was a pro wrestler at one time.

VinnyRu on SpikeTV

“I’ve been holding this back for years and I finally get to say this.  I felt like Hannibal Lechter when he was strapped in and had his mouth wired shut.  Spike TV is a horrible partner.  Why TNA would ever want to partner with Spike is beyond me, unless there were no other options.  If Spike TV were the only option to stay on television, then I would understand it.  They are a horrible partner.  They know nothing about the wrestling business.  They way they advertised and marketed the program over the years was absolutely atrocious.

I can tell you this from a position where I worked with the USA Network, I worked directly with Bonnie Hammer.  She was the female version of Vince McMahon.  She knew what she was doing.  When you had Bonnie Hammer at USA and Vince McMahon, the sky was the limit.  If TNA signs another deal with Spike TV, great for them.  It will move along for another two years and everyone will work, but the product will not grow on Spike TV.  My hope for TNA is that a new network comes along and embraces TNA and gives them the time and investment to help grow the product.  I can’t say this enough.  TNA on Spike TV will never grow.”

Spike TV on VinnyRu

“I want to start by saying we enjoyed a great relationship, a very collaborative relationship with Dixie Carter and her team over the years,” said David Schwarz, the Senior Vice President of Communications with Spike TV.  “We took TNA from a late night spot on Saturday nights, doing 500,000 viewers, to a two-hour time slot that did two million viewers over time.  Spike went out of its way, not in just adhering to its contract, but above and beyond the contract.  

"We paid Hulk Hogan, we paid Eric Bischoff, with our money.  We financed many shows.  We financed U.K. shows.  We helped promote. We gave TNA a prime time slot of Thursdays from 9-11 p.m.   I think his comments are way off base.  Clearly, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  He’s somebody who thinks more of himself than really exists.  Vince Russo never meant anything to Spike TV.  He had nothing to do with negotiations.  Nobody cares about Vince Russo at Spike TV.  Nobody cares or knows who he is.  We have a great relationship with TNA.  We went above and beyond for them, as they did for us.  Dixie helped promote our shows.  What Vince Russo is saying is complete nonsense.”

VinnyRu on SpikeTV

“I’ve been holding this back for years and I finally get to say this.  I felt like Hannibal Lechter when he was strapped in and had his mouth wired shut.  Spike TV is a horrible partner.  Why TNA would ever want to partner with Spike is beyond me, unless there were no other options.  If Spike TV were the only option to stay on television, then I would understand it.  They are a horrible partner.  They know nothing about the wrestling business.  They way they advertised and marketed the program over the years was absolutely atrocious.

I can tell you this from a position where I worked with the USA Network, I worked directly with Bonnie Hammer.  She was the female version of Vince McMahon.  She knew what she was doing.  When you had Bonnie Hammer at USA and Vince McMahon, the sky was the limit.  If TNA signs another deal with Spike TV, great for them.  It will move along for another two years and everyone will work, but stuffing instead of potatoes will not grow on Spike TV.  My hope for TNA is that a new network comes along and embraces TNA and gives them the time and investment to help grow stuffing instead of potatoes.  I can’t say this enough.  TNA on Spike TV will never grow.”

This part is killing me because of the filters and imagining it in Russo's voice railing on about stuffing and potatoes and imagining a Spike TV response that is basically "Look, I don't know why we're talking about potatoes here..."

• Like 1

Spike TV might not be great at promoting. TNA definitely isn't. It isn't problems with Spike TV that keeps people from buying PPVs or purchasing tickets. They have enough eyeballs on stuffing instead of potatoes to do much better numbers. Russo isn't the first person to say these things about Spike and TNA. As always they miss the big picture and focus on the wrong problems. Always an excuse like needing an extra hour. Or having to take the show on the road. Spike doesn't look good in this either though. Since they talk about paying for Bischoff and Hogan like that was a good thing.

*I like the stuffing instead of potatoes filter.

Edited by Cole Miner

^^ ban please? He's already stirring the pot and trying I get this thread into the same territory as the last one.

Figured I'd ask before responding because its just going to snowball.

That is an interesting response from Spike though. I definitely shows Russo had nothing to do with any decisions regarding the TV deal.

Why respond at all? This had nothing to do with you ... n-o-t-h-i-ng. Unless you had, I don't know, a source like I was asking for? No? Then why are you piping up again, if not to stir your own vitriol?

These were unsourced comments. I wanted to know if this was part of a larger piece, or if these were simply the products of someone asking these specific questions to these specific people and that was the end of the issue.

Jesus, you sad little person. "Ban please?" Like my shit revolves around you.

Back to the block pile, where you can weep in solitude, and that's the end of you in my book.

• Like 2