DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

8 hours ago, Ace said:

With other recent announcements, I think New Avengers still ends, but  ANADAvengers also seems to be ending; Songbird, Wiccan, Hulkling, and Power Man II join up with SamCap, JaneThor, & The Vision into an Adjectiveless Avengers team. Maybe add Spidey to the team in the Stark financing role.

See, I don't know that ANAD Avengers ends either. Seems to be some team splitting which could lead to what you're saying or could be them doubling down on Avengers titles.

16 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

If it doesn't get cancelled for mediocrity, I really expect Melissa to get dragged back into the Thunderbolts.

I imagine it'll do fine just because of the controversy over the Cube. It feels "important." 

So Bleeding Cool just spoiled like 20 Marvel NOW releases including pictures of a so far unreleased catalogue and there's a lot of cool stuff there. Matthew Rosenberg as the new writer to watch. His Black Mask books have been killer...We Can Never Go Home was one of the best comics I read in the past year.

Waid doing early Avengers feels very JLA Year One so here's hoping. Really enjoying Kelly Thompson's work so her taking on Kate in Hawkeye is great. Oh yeah, and RICHARD RIDER IS RETURNING AS NOVA!

Anyway, it's all over Bleeding Cool's site. See what excites you. One that got a formal release that I'm jazzed about is the new Jessica Jones ongoing by the original team.

• Like 1

Spoiler

The lack of X-books is... interesting.  Though I don't believe for a sec that they'd cancel the X-line, en masse - particularly since the effort to make inhumans the new mutants doesn't seem to be winning over readers.

Honestly, none of those leaks excites me that much, though I expect I'll end up reading several books. Much more excited for the completed runs (1980's-2010's) I've been picking up lately.  Just started Wagner's Madame Xanadu book and loving it.  Busiek's Avengers/Thunderbolts runs on deck.

• Like 1

Definite:

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 ongoing by GERRY CONWAY and Ryan Stegman. Gerry's at least a top five Spider-Man writer.

Try:

Avengers #1.1

Jessica Jones #1

Infamous Iron Man #1

The Unworthy Thor #1

On 7/11/2016 at 7:46 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:
  Hide contents

The lack of X-books is... interesting.  Though I don't believe for a sec that they'd cancel the X-line, en masse - particularly since the effort to make inhumans the new mutants doesn't seem to be winning over readers.

Honestly, none of those leaks excites me that much, though I expect I'll end up reading several books. Much more excited for the completed runs (1980's-2010's) I've been picking up lately.  Just started Wagner's Madame Xanadu book and loving it.  Busiek's Avengers/Thunderbolts runs on deck.

Spoiler

I think Marvel is okay with the idea of removing the X-Men and the Inhumans. I just wonder what's going to happen to everyone in the X-Books currently. Are they going to kill off Magento, Psylocke, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and all the other X-Men that aren't on the covers?

Admittedly not the comic collector I once was, but I'll never, ever understand the appeal of Bendis

That he became so powerful despite putting out inferior products doesn't confuse me as much as, say, Microsoft and Comcast, but still, BLEH

Oh, how I miss these daze....

fdga41.jpg

• Like 2

Ultimate Spider-man got a really strong second life when Miles Morales popped up. It got real good and that's carried to the new 616 series with Miles. His Iron Man right now is really great too and I'm pumped for Jessica Jones since I actually thoughtthe biggest strike against Alias was the MAX branding and trying to do srs adult heroes.

I'm not a huge Bendis fan, but, for me, he hits more than he misses and his hits are generally really strong.  His Ultimate Spider Man/Miles run has been one of my favorite books for a long while now.  I think he's a great writer.  Not sure about him as "architect" at Marvel.  Didn't like Avengers under his watch and his X-Men run started strong them seemed to lose its way (esp. All-New X-Men).

Not really jazzed about Civil War II, admittedly, and the death made me sigh more than anything.  They already had basically replaced that character in his book and there's no way the death sticks, even though it probably should given the way the wrote the scene.

• Like 1

Has anyone been reading CM Punk's Drax the Destroyer book?  I'm a little curious.  It's about 9 issues in, right?  I think #11 was solicited for September.  I don't think I've actually heard anyone say they've been reading it, or seen reviews (granted, I imagine I could google it and find a discussion thread or reviews).  Is it any good?

Mostly, I'm curious if Punk seems to be doing much actual writing.  He has a co-writer, right?  Cullen Bunn, irrc?

Elsewhere, Civil War II and it's tie-ins are sapping my desire to read Marvel.  I feel like Marvel's lineup of writers is kinda weak right now compared to the past several years.  Still a number of good names (Lemire, Waid, Ewing) but most of the books haven't been standouts.  Feel like Waid's already written better Avengers books under different names a couple times over.

I find Ultimates, Thor, & Black Panther to be pretty good. The three X-men books are technically decent though nothing truly interesting. I've kind of avoided everything else though because of the likely heavy tie-in to events.

6 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Has anyone been reading CM Punk's Drax the Destroyer book?  I'm a little curious.  It's about 9 issues in, right?  I think #11 was solicited for September.  I don't think I've actually heard anyone say they've been reading it, or seen reviews (granted, I imagine I could google it and find a discussion thread or reviews).  Is it any good?

Mostly, I'm curious if Punk seems to be doing much actual writing.  He has a co-writer, right?  Cullen Bunn, irrc?

I read the first arc and it's fun. Lots of wild action stuff with some fairly obscure cosmic stuff and some fairly unique twists. It has a different flavour than Bunn's usual fare but as with any writing collab who knows how the workload dispenses? I don't know that it's worth going out of your way for but if you can find the trade on sale or catch it on Unlimited it's worth a look.

Secret Wars collects Free Comic Book Day 2015: Secret Wars #0 and Secret Wars #1-9. Free Comic Book Day 2015: Secret Wars #0 is a short story setting the start of Secret Wars. I read this on release. In Secret Wars itself, the multiverse is destroyed and fragments of it are put together by God Doom to make Battleworld. Heroes and foes try to topple Doom’s domain. This was a brilliant event comic with the writing, art, creative use of characters/setting such as God Doom/Thors/the Shield and dialogue by God Doom/Doctor Strange for example. I recommend this read!!!

Watching the trailer for the Netflix Luke Cage series set me to wondering.... Who was it that (finally) updated Cage to make him less stereotypical?  In other words, who finally got Cage out of his 70's clothes (skintight yellow shirt, blue pants, chain for a belt, metal headband) and 70's dialogue?  Bendis?

So far as I can remember, Ostrander's late 90's Heroes for Hire series still wrote him like it was the 70's/80's ("Sweet Christmas").  I think they did update his look slightly.  I seem to remember him wearing skin-tight t-shirts instead of shirts open down the front.  And they came in colors besides canary yellow.  Progress!  He was still wearing the campy 70's clothes at the beginning of the series, though, and I don't think he ever quite lost the headband or chain for a belt.

So anyone here read the Sam Alexander Nova? I recall reading the first two volumes but nothing after that. I was curious how it was since it looks like he and Rider will be sharing the next volume.