DVDVR Message Board

TOUT YOUR TEAM'S PROSPECTS!

cubbymark

In light of Cubs fans like myself always bringing up prospects like Javier Baez and Kris Bryant in the MLB threads and Ruben Amaro's apathy towards trading his old veterans for prospects, I figured now was as good a time as any to have a thread devoted to talking prospects.

A vital component to most Major League teams future, whether as trading chips to get missing pieces for a stretch run a la Addison Russell for Jeff Samardzija, or as cornerstones of a franchise like Derek Jeter, the prospect has a lot of eyes on him.

My team must absolutely positively lay the world at the feet of this man.

giancarlohr1.gif

Otherwise, it's back to 60-102.  IF they re-sign him, they can be back in the playoff hunt in a season or two. 

I'll tout just one: Joey Gallo in the Texas Ranger system.  As you all know, I'm a Tigers guy but I don't pay much attention to, or get to see much of, their prospects.  I do, however, get to see a  big portion of the Rangers' prospects, since a lot of them come through Spokane.  Gallo is one of them.  Gallo has ridiculous power* and started his career by hitting 18 homers in 43 games at rookie ball out of high school.  He followed that up 38 homers in the Sally league at age 19.  This season, as a 20-year old, he's hit 37 homers in 102 games split between high-A and AA.  He's hardly a perfect player - he whiffs a LOT (143 in 432 PAs so far this year) but that can be worked on.  He walks a lot (73 in 102 games) so that's good.  Glove is decent but not great.  Good athlete.  Really, really high ceiling on this guy.

* - in his brief stay (16 games) in Spokane, he hit the most amazing home run I've ever seen at Avista Stadium.  He hit a bomb to right field that EASILY cleared a 75-foot light pole and just kept going.  It landed well beyond the picnic area in right field and probably traveled 500 feet or more.  Just an incredible shot in a ballpark where the ball simply doesn't carry. 

giancarlohr1.gif

Otherwise, it's back to 60-102.  IF they re-sign him, they can be back in the playoff hunt in a season or two. 

He's gonna look great in a Boston uniform. . . .

giancarlohr1.gif

He's gonna look great in a Boston uniform. . . .

Ichiro's getting up there, and we're gonna need a RF since we don't have a lot in the system right now.

Besides that Austin kid in Trenton that my 6 year old is in love with.

The Braves have a kid named Jose Peraza, and while I've never seen him, the reports (from friends and national analysts) are ridiculous. He's just 20, and has split the year between high-A and AA. He's hitting .348/.371/.455, has stolen 57 bases at an 80% success rate, and is an above average to excellent defender at second or short. Pretty excited about possibly seeing him in the majors in a year/year and a half.

The Mariners have Vlad Guerrero's nephew Gabriel in their farm system. He's currently at the Single A High Desert Mavericks. God, please let him A) Be at least 80% as good as his uncle was in his prime and B ) Not get traded away for some middle aged hitter whose best days are behind him.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=602115

Kyle Crick is double digit strikeouts on the regular at Double-A but still has control problems. If he can cut down his walks, he could be Matt Cain Lite. Tyler Beede is basically Kyle Crick right now. There's two Kyle Cricks.

Other than that...um...no offensive prospects whatsoever?

He's lucky to still be able to play in the minors. At one point he was a very exciting prospect, but man...he fell off a cliff and now he's with the Diamondbacks.

Also, the Cubs traded away the wrong Jackson.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice day for the Cubs top end prospects.

Kris Bryant: 2-2 with a Homer (42nd of the year) and 4 BB

Jorge Soler: 5-5 with 1 BB

Addison Russell: 2-4

Albert Almora: 3-4

Dan Vogelbach & Kyle Schwarber: Both hit Homers in both games of there double header.

And Kane County, the Cubs single A team WITHOUT a top hitting prospect, won there 13th in a row, putting them a flat out stupid 41 games over 500. They have been doing it with pitching. And they say we don't have pitching prospects :)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the regular season is over, recaps on some of the top hitters for the Spokane Indians:

Seth Spivey - infielder who ended up being Spokane's most consistent hitter, at least at home.  I keep score at nearly every game I attend and Spivey hit roughly .480 in the games I kept score for this year.  Good defense too.  A little small, not sure he translates to a major leaguer but he played really well this year.

Luke Tendler - Good pop (11 HRs) and average (.316).  Outstanding arm in RF.  This guy can play.

Jose Trevino - dominant first half of the season then disappeared in the second half.  Decent pop (9 HRs in the first half).  Good speed for a catcher.  Needs work with his throwing.  He'll move up for sure.

Eduard Pinto - Hit .335 this year as the everyday CF in his second tour with Spokane.  Very consistent.  Hits roughly .750 on balls he pulls (not an exaggeration) but doesn't pull enough.  Good defense in CF, good speed.  Only 19!  Seemed a lot older than that.  Might be a tad undersized for the majors.

Juremi Profar - Jurickson's brother.  He played all over the infield this year.  Good arm, decent defense, not on his brother's level defensively.  Bigger than Jurickson with more power, a bit less speed.  He'll move up but doesn't look like the surefire major leaguer we saw in Jurickson.

Josh Morgan - Easily the best prospect we saw among the position guys in Spokane this year.  3rd rounder out of high school this year, he hit .336 in rookie ball before getting called up to Spokane for the last month.  Major league-ready defense at SS with an excellent arm.  Hit .303 in Spokane, too.  Showed no power whatsoever (SLG .347) but that will come.  This guy can flat out play.  I expect to see him in the majors full-time one day.

• 7 months later...