DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 8: TANAHASHI vs. J. USO

TANAHASHI vs. J. USO  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I wonder if this gets ugly.

Know what I find funny? The Uso had a better year then Ambrose did.

Debatable.

Name one Ambrose match that wasn't a six man that would have made the top 50 matches in the E in the voting period.

Considering that like 95% of his televised matches were six man tags that seems unfair. Name a non tag Uso match that fits your criteria. Can't do that either.

Debatable.

Name one Ambrose match that wasn't a six man that would have made the top 50 matches in the E in the voting period.

Name one Uso match that wasn't a tag that would.

I find it weird that when wrestling fans can usually all stand up and agree that PUSH TAG TEAMS SHOULD HAPPEN we all sling 'tag team and six man tag' worker like a racial slur.

I honestly thing that tag teams should be considered as a whole instead of individuals.  The Usos are a really good tag team, but neither member had as good of a year as Tanahashi.  I like the Usos a lot, they always seem to be in good matches, but when I try to justify one person in a tag team's performance over a year in realtion to someone who is a single's star it is hard for me to pick the tag guy.  I'm not knocking any of their work, honestly I might pick The Usos over Tanahashi, but not an Uso over Tanahashi. 

Debatable.
Name one Uso match that wasn't a tag that would.

You are missing my point: Dean Ambrose gets the benefit of teaming with a top 10 in the world guy in Rollins, and a guy who has been a revelation. Outside of six mans, Reigns and Rollins had fantastic performances. Abridge had none. And he had opportunities man. How many people this year can say they had a one on one match with Daniel Bryan that was completely unmemorable?

I have to take a stand against the hidebound WWE tag formula. It's fine for chewing up minutes on Raw, but the Usos haven't really shown the ability or inclination to step outside that formula. Sweet 16 material should be made of sterner stuff.

When has Tanahashi ever shown the ability or inclination to step out of his own formula? Voted Uso.

Assuming for the sake of argument that this is true, Tanahashi's formula is better.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my vote, honestly, the current hot streak J. Uso is on being so fresh in my mind is what probably swayed me.

But as an aside, I hate hate HATE Tanahashi's air guitar. It seems like such a dick move for a top face. Having said that, the few times he seems to be a prick about it on purpose, like in the Ishii match, I turn 180 and love it. I guess I want the fabled Cena heel turn for Tanahashi....

• Like 1

Totally agree with Prancer, the first half of the Ishii match Tanahashi came off like this complete jag off and it was totally a refreshing change of pace from the usual stoicism you see in New Japan guys outside of Okada.  

In response to not being able to justify voting for a tag guy:

For the most part I don't watch Tanahashi singles matches but my sense is (not including his EMLL run and the British indy) he's had no more than 20 singles matches in 2013 (that's including the G1).

The majority of what Tanahashi did in 2013 is tags,6 mans, 8 mans, and ten mans. 
I've probably watched more 2013 Tanahashi than folks who only watch his occasional singles match.
For the most part, in 2013 Tanahashi works like a guy who is physically broken down enough that Captain NJ has to do the bulk of the work and then lets Tanahashi "hit" a couple spots.

I have no idea if Tanahshi is a decent singles worker in 2013 but as a pure tag worker I don't think his 2013 stands up to the tag work of Akebono or Taguchi.

If someone wants to point to something I missed in all those Tanahashi multi-men matches, I'd be happy to look closer. But it feels pretty clear and evident to me that if anyone watched those Tanahashi tags this would be a blowout against him.

The first victim was Okada in all fairness. I haven't seen enough to J. Uso to really make an informed decision at the moment.

I have my issues with Cenahashi as well. As for the Captain New Japan doing most of the work, is that the NJ "young lion working with a veteran tag team" formula in that the young guy gets his ass kicked like Ricky Morton and Cenahashi is the Robert Gibson with the comeback?

Junk Food Dog/Anabolic Warrior were Meltzer nicknames for guys he didn't like, whereas Meltzer is very high on Tanahashi, which is why he got into the Wrestling Observer HOF this year.

To me Cena and Tanahashi are similar guys. Both have been company aces for a long time. Both have been elevated during a down period in their respective promotions and has risen as the company's profile has risen. Both have been built, pushed and protected very similarly. Both have gotten the "Superman push." Cena is a bit more polarizing than Tanahashi but they have some mannerisms that are quite annoying (poopy jokes/air guitar). Both are capable of having really good/outstanding matches with the right opponents. Since both have been on top for a long time, there is a backlash towards them( Cena Nuff). Both guys have been used to try to elevate new talents (Punk/Bryan, Okada) but the company still sees them as "the man" based on match placement in big events.

So in that regard, Cena and Cenahashi are one in the same. I'm surprised both are struggling as much as they have been with their second round matchups. If that isn't an indicator of a backlash against both guys, I'm not sure what is.

Why would being a tag guy make them somehow "less" than a singles guy? This whole popularity contest deal is full of guys working lots of different styles. Why is tag style being looked at by some as not as good as singles? If this was going on in 1986 would Morton or Eaton not be as awesome as singles guys?

Why would being a tag guy make them somehow "less" than a singles guy? This whole popularity contest deal is full of guys working lots of different styles. Why is tag style being looked at by some as not as good as singles? If this was going on in 1986 would Morton or Eaton not be as awesome as singles guys?

It doesn't strike me as terribly controversial to say that working long singles matches is more demanding, both physically and psychologically, than working tag matches.