DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Another gold bounty dropped for me. Seem to get these pretty consistently now. Went with 'A Light in the Dark' this time.

I know i said i wasn't going to do the Iron Banner and i'm no fan of the Crucible but the allure of shiny new gloves was too much and i tried it out. Went 5-1 in my first 6 games and hit level 1 after a couple of wins. I'm thinking its going well, and it didn't take an unreasonable amount of time to hit level 2. But 2-3 looks like it might take ages. I've kind of got to tough it out now and at least get to 3 or its all a waste. Hopefully an hour or 2 each day over the weekend, coupled with the boosts, will be enough.

Wanted to get a couple of exotics from Xur. One for my Titan and one for my second Warlock, but decided to role the dice on the engram instead since i had a crap load of motes and only 20 strange coins. Ended up getting voidfang vestments and The Armamentarium. Pretty happy with that, didn't have to use any coins and got both pieces of armor without having to blow through all my motes.

• Like 1

Good luck. I think those buffs should be enough to get you to rank 3, by Monday the latest. Wear the IB emblem and class items as well for an added exp boost.

A Light in the Dark is the most difficult bounty in the game. Since I don't really play Crucible, I gave up on it twice. I like hand cannons, but I've accepted that I'll never own a Thorn. Maybe it'll be different for you.

I have a second 32 now. Worst part was just getting sapphire wire. 

Yeah, like i said, not a fan of the Crucible but the only exotic bounties left seem to have a Crucible related task so i just have to suck it up. I've still got to finish the 200 kills in Nightfall for a previous one. Luckily dying close to the end, twice, on this weeks helped a bit, i'm at 160 so far.

i'm about 1/3 of the way into rank 2 after a session in the Iron Banner this morning. Hopefully shouldn't take too much longer to get to 3. Then i have the choice of pushing on to 4 or calling it quits...

• Like 1

Had some good luck yesterday. Really wanted to get Heart of the Praxic Fire for my Warlock but was apprehensive about spending my motes because I only had 50 and have been trying to get Mask of the Third man for a while. Bought an engram and it was the Alpha Lupi Titan piece so that wasn't too bad because I didn't have it and it was a better roll than the one Xur had. Decided to buy another and I got the Praxic Fire! Now I have five exotic armors for my level 9 Warlock lol. I'm trying to get all the exotics in the game and am up to 20. I screwed up early on when I had just one character and dismantled the Knucklehead Radar and Skull of Ahamkara helmets. Also screwed up a few weeks ago and didn't buy the Skullfort.

Had a good iron banner night also. Most games was over 2.0 k/d.

• Like 1

Got me some shiny new gloves! I could do with some new shoes...

I'm no world beating in the Iron Banner, scores pretty inconsistent. Between a dismal .5 to a respectable 1.4 usually. Every so often I'll go on a rampage and hit a 3 or 4 ratio. Wins aren't much of an issue, the most losses in a row was 3, and I've only lost 2 or more 4 times. It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Although some games are exactly what I expected.

I'm about 200 points into rank 3 now. I've noticed the rep needed to level up from 3 onwards is the same. Coupled with the extra boost tomorrow means level 4 is now achievable, and maybe 5 if I really go for it (I do like scout rifles). The glimmer hasn't been too hard to come buy, selling all the crap I'm awarded in the iron banner has put a dent in it. I've got enough cash put by for the boots and the bond if I really want to make a run at rank 5. I just need the extra 1100 for the rifle at the end of it. Tempting...

• Like 3

I hit level 4 last night and made it to just under a quarter of the way to 5 before I had to get some sleep. But with the emblem, shader, and warlock bond equipped, plus the jump in tempering buff strength coming up, and the whole weekend to work with, I think I'd have to hit a run of horrendous luck not to get there.

Only downside right now is that I stupidly jumped all over the blue fusion rifles the Gunsmith had for sale on Friday, which put a dent in my glimmer reserves. I had hoped to go all the way with the gloves, boots, and scout rifle, but now it looks like I'm probably gonna have to choose between the gloves and the gun. Getting them both would take about 20,000 and I'm only at 6-ish right now.

You can make coin pretty easy in IB, but I doubt that much in 3 days.

Exclusion zone dude. Less than an hour will max you out on glimmer.

I'm slacking. Only at rank 2. Kids are about to go down for a nap though so I should have at least a solid hour and plan on getting in a good session tonight. Hoping I can hit rank 4 tonight or at least get close to it and finish it off tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have not played in a few weeks, and I would like to finish the campaign and actually try to level up my Vanguard and Crucible some. I think I'm around LVL 22 at the moment. I would love to have some people to play with for a change tonight.

I should be on PS4 in about an hour or so. Add me: MattOPersonaliT

Exclusion zone dude. Less than an hour will max you out on glimmer.

Hey, thanks for smartening me up on the exclusion zone gimmick. Grinded out all the glimmer I needed and then some.

I got the boots, the gloves, and the scout rifle, like two days sooner than I figured it would take me.

• Like 1

Getting from 3 to 4 is definitely the hardest part, or at least it feels like it, probably because you don't get any kind of booster item at 3. I thought getting from 4 to 5 was a breeze.

Thanks to Iron Banner, I think I played more Crucilbe over the past week than I have in the whole month or so I'd had the game beforehand. And I feel like I learned a lot. That loop of those same 5 maps get so repetitious, I had to mix up my usual strategies and explore the maps to keep things interesting for me, and as a result, I found some things that worked for me.

For one thing, I figured out how to be highly successful holding zone B on Twilight Gap with my shotgun. All the odd angles created by the box-inside-a-box layout of that zone can give attackers fits if you're cagey enough.

I was in this one poory guy's head at that zone today. I'm not exaggerating when I say I killed him 10 times there. It might've actually been more than that. Just when he thought he had me figured out, I'd switch up and get him again. It got to the point that it was SO obvious he was running straight back to me after he respawned, I went out on the ledge looking back at the staircase up to zone C (his team controlled it, so I knew he'd spawn there) and set up a good sniping spot for my scout rifle. And, sure enough, dude comes running out into the open toward B at a full sprint...and he was dead before he made it halfway down the stairs. Too funny.

I respect him, though. He wasn't gonna give it up.

I think the farthest I got in Iron Banner was level 4, and I just did it to get the higher level boots and gloves, which soon became obsolete after The Dark Below got released.

Currently, I just use Iron Banner for the extra bounties and XP and don't really focus on leveling up.  I would say all the gear I've collected elsewhere is superior to what I could get form Iron Banner ATM.

Well, it's just different. The boots and gloves are light 36 like raid gear. It's an alternative to that if you've run Crotas End and just been unlucky with drops and also it's light 36 that requires ascendant material and not radiant material. So it could potentially save you 42 radiant shards as well.

455 points away from rank 4 after a session this morning. 

I still don't see myself playing Crucible regularly after this but i'm definitely improving. I banged out the 10 hand to hand kills bounty in one go in the very first game i played today. I'm finding points on certain maps that i can pretty much hold indefinitely and when its all going well and you're just slaughtering the opponent it can be extremely fun. Not so much when you're on the other side of it though.

• Like 1

Finally got my Titan leveled up to 30 this morning.

I got a run on Ascendant Shards getting like 10 of them in an hour between leveling up my Vanguard Rank, a couple public events and some lucky legendary drops.  Then was able to fully upgrade my Legendary auto-rifle and am pretty close to fully upgrading The Truth, just need to use it some more.  

Once I do that, I'll probably set my Titan aside and work on some other characters because the only achievements I have left are those, PvP stuff, precision shot ones (which I figure I'd probably have a better chance at with a Hunter than my Titan), and the Raid related stuff.

I logged an hour and a half last night and jumped up to level 22. I was getting destroyed and no rolls in Crucible before finally picking up my KD. I think I ended last night with a 1.3 KD ratio. I'm going to knock out another 2 hours or so today. I really need to finish the base campaign, but I'm wanting to level up my Crucible rank. (I'm at 1 in both Vanguard and Crucible). It's also amazing and shows how I never put more than a couple hours into this a week that I have never maxed out my marks on here before.

These new shoes are pretty comfy.

I've ended the day needing 191 points to hit rank 5 with enough glimmer for the scout rifle. 2 more wins or a couple of bounties will do it, I'll hit those up after work tomorrow. Finally got some legendary rewards from the Iron Banner as well. 2 ships, a hand cannon, a rocket launcher and some chest armor for a Titan. Not a bad haul today.

Hit a bad patch at one point, 6 losses in a row, but it makes up for it when you win and get 650 points and see that bar fill up 1/4 of the way!

Do a quick bounty or two  and make sure your Truth is equipped when you hand in the bounties and it'll level up faster. Not sure if you knew that. Apologies if you did. 

Yea I pretty much always keep it equipped to make things go boom, but I didn't know that had any effect on leveling it up.  I just figured it was how much you actually use it.

Yeah, I'm really careful about what gear/guns I have equipped while I hand in bounties. Easiest way to level things up. I often do bounties with maxed out guns just to get them over with asap, then switch to what I want to upgrade right before handing in the bounties.

Telemetries help too but I always forget to use them.