DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

The US won't trap so therefore Canada will win.

... so does that mean you lose to the Swiss before you even get to us, or...

Seriously though, these brackets are rather awesome. And I kinda think at the end of the day, Sweden is just gonna sneak there way to the Gold while everyone ignores them.

Out of all the teams that have to go through qualification, Switzerland scares me the most (even more so than Russia, who'll probably implode from pressure in the medal round). Switzerland is like Finland-lite, it's going to be a 1-0, 2-1 kind of game and who the fuck knows how that will go?

I have to watch the Czech/Slovak game now to watch both countries suddenly wake up so I can look like even more of an asshole than before.

Sweden continues to just go along, nobody paying them any mind. No real pressure, just doing their thing.

*whistle* no one pay attention to Sweden, missing Sedin and Zetterberg. *whistle*

I have to watch the Czech/Slovak game now to watch both countries suddenly wake up so I can look like even more of an asshole than before.

Sweden continues to just go along, nobody paying them any mind. No real pressure, just doing their thing.

*whistle* no one pay attention to Sweden, missing Sedin and Zetterberg. *whistle*

Where's Belarus when you need them?

Hey Canuck fans... out of curiosity, do you think Roberto Luongo is acquirable? And if so, what would the price tag be like?

I mean, I'm not sure what your asking price would be or if you'd want Halak back for a short term fix, but I think you guys have a good young guy in Lack, and I honestly think Lou fits the Blues problems better then Miller.

I don't think Luongo's contract is something St. Louis' stingy ownership is really thinking about. I agree, he'd be better than Miller for you guys and he could be had for next to nothing, but the economics don't make sense for the Blues, as you'd be paying him $6,714,000 for another four years. He'll be moved this summer one way or another.

I don't think Luongo's contract is something St. Louis' stingy ownership is really thinking about. I agree, he'd be better than Miller for you guys and he could be had for next to nothing, but the economics don't make sense for the Blues. He'll be moved this summer one way or another.

Honestly, the thing is, I think Luongo hates his own contract enough that when he feels like he isn't a top flight goalie anymore, he'll retire. So the length might not be the biggest issue. And, really, per year? For a top 10 goalie (which I think he is) Luongos contract per year isn't bad at all.

For instance, I'd be willing to offer Halak, and the Blues 2nd and 3rd this year. Is that value fair?

I don't think you'd even have to add draft picks. The problem with him retiring is the recapture penalty, you'd be stuck with a cap hit for a retired player because Brian Burke is a dickhead.

Edit: Daniel, here's the recapture calculator at capgeek.

If he retired after 18-19 season (my rough estimate), and we acquired him 75% of the way into the year (once more, estimate) the recapture penalty would only be 1.63 mill... that seems doable to me.

Most entertaining part of Canada/Finland was Teemu Selanne calling Crosby names after he went down to draw a penalty in the first period. If Russia/USA was the argument to allow NHL players into the Olympics, Canada/Finland was the argument against it. All that talent and an absolute snoozefest of a game. 

Blues would never pay real money for an actual player.

We have 2 Canadian, 3 American, and 2 Swedish Olympians signed long term right now, and a Russian one will be re-signing long term shortly. I think we are doing fine.

Come on, man, you know if there's one topic you don't let FSW bait you on, it's the Blues.

Blues would never pay real money for an actual player.

We have 2 Canadian, 3 American, and 2 Swedish Olympians signed long term right now, and a Russian one will be re-signing long term shortly. I think we are doing fine.

Come on, man, you know if there's one topic you don't let FSW bait you on, it's the Blues.

but... like, it's our thing. I tear him apart for his Lions being the definition of awful, and he takes his shots at the Blues.

It's like I'm Dr. Venture, if he wasn't such a huge dick, and FSW is The Monarch if he somehow turned into a bigger dick.

Canada women have a goal disallowed because the goalie gets pushed into the net. The horrible announce team A.) Are too busy raging to even notice that it happened until it's explained to them then B.) Go on with their original rage at the no goal call as if that detail is insignifigant.

I think I've emailed the CBC twice. Once was over their awful coverage of the World Cup and the other was asking them how Mark Lee has a job. THEM ARE MUH TAX DOLLARS PAYIN' HIS SALARY!

Using Workaholics logic, I guess I technically own Mark Lee... And if you own something, you can... 

I think I've emailed the CBC twice. Once was over their awful coverage of the World Cup and the other was asking them how Mark Lee has a job. THEM ARE MUH TAX DOLLARS PAYIN' HIS SALARY!

Using Workaholics logic, I guess I technically own Mark Lee... And if you own something, you can... 

Screw you, Taxpayer!

• Like 2