DVDVR Message Board

Oh - I finally remembered what I wanted to ask

So Count Bauer was on Twitter today bitching about some horrible business exposing shot when Bully Ray was walking to the ring.

Something about showing the whole locker room and breaking kayfabe or something.

I was long asleep by this point - anyone know what he was talking about?

Yeah, he pushed the casket (which in the backstage segment was a storage container with a sheet draped over it) right past Magnus, Dixie, Kurt, and someone else lounging around at a table together or something.

Aww geeze, how hard could it have been to do a take two? Oh, that's right, the show was "live".

The show actually was live. It was shown live in the UK.

When Bully Ray was walking backstage, you see in the background Dixie and Spud talking to James Storm (I think). Dixie and Spud duck behind something, Storm walks the other way, and Angle bends down to hide sitting in a chair in front of them. I think Magnus is stretching maybe ten feet away. It's comical because it looks like they are hiding from a camera other than the one that is actually shooting.

Except for Angle, that's not an outrageous break of kayfabe --  Dixie and Spud are talking to the bitter tag team partner of the man who's going to be facing their chosen World Champion down the line.

I mean, heck, Dixie *is* the boss.

I've always been curious about TNA's backstage shooting. The same thing happened at Lockdown 2012 (? ). The Lethal Lockdown match started the show and whoever was the first one out passed by Mr. Anderson, RVD, and some others as they were all just hanging out. How hard is it for the director to tell the talent to stay on ONE SIDE of the building betwee a certain time frame and not come to the other side unless its time for you to be on camera?

Spud is amazing and is becoming my favorite part of Impact. I awatched his segment with The Wolves atleast 3 times.

A few thoughts on this show from a lapsed TNA viewer:

• I really like the design of their new World title belt. The new X-Division belt looks like butt, though.
  • Rockstar Spud is one of the best things on the show. He's like a Brad Maddox but with a weird, English, Seacrest-y kinda vibe happening.
  • Without the dye-job, Mr. Kennedy looks scarily like Brett Favre. I fuckin hate Favre, but I'm willing to bet he could've thrown better punches.
  • Bubba, however, is still the man.
  • How disappointed are the Wolves gonna be when they see the houses TNA draws in the States?

For the most part Edwards and Richards are use to performing for less than 800 people in Evolve, ROH, and PWG...so I am sure its not going to break their hearts or any delusions they have of TNA. In 2014, TNA is what it is...and that's unfortunate.

Re: Dixie Meetings

Based off future spoilers this might have been some awesome foreshadowing for those paying attention...again I am sure that was not TNA's intention and I am just giving them too much credit.

Antonio created the MVP name and character before he came to WWE. It is exclusively his.

Still wouldn't keep a company from trying to put a clause in your contract where you had to sign over your IP rights in order to join the fed.  WWE tried to gridlock Goldberg by forcing him to allow WWE to trademark the design for his tattoo.

It is amazing how TNA has become the fed that is chock full of workers I used to like but no longer give a shit about anymore. It is the elephant graveyard of professional wrestling.

WWE wouldn't have been able to trademark "MVP". This happened 20 years ago when New Japan tried to assert its rights on Vader's name.

I thought they were hesitant to assert rights on Vader's name because of the potential problems with LucasArts if they drew too much attention to the gimmick? 

Even the elephant mask / headpiece kinda hovered over but never really crossed over into Darth Vader territory.

LucasArts owns the Vader trademark

The WWE tries to claim they control the rights to Big Van Vader since Vader signed a Legends contract with them. That is why they went after that one website years ago that had the bigvanvader.com url

As someone who hasn't watched in a long time: Is it worth bothering to give the show another chance? I like Magnus and MVP but I'm not sure there's much else that seems interesting.

New characters. Same product. There are bright spots (Rockstar Spud, Sam Shaw, The Wolves), but there is TON of the same stuff. If you are a big fan of the TNA company power struggle angle they run every year...well this 'new' era of TNA is right up your alley.

LucasArts owns the Vader trademark

The WWE tries to claim they control the rights to Big Van Vader since Vader signed a Legends contract with them. That is why they went after that one website years ago that had the bigvanvader.com url

Antonio created the MVP name and character before he came to WWE. It is exclusively his.

Still wouldn't keep a company from trying to put a clause in your contract where you had to sign over your IP rights in order to join the fed.  WWE tried to gridlock Goldberg by forcing him to allow WWE to trademark the design for his tattoo.

It is amazing how TNA has become the fed that is chock full of workers I used to like but no longer give a shit about anymore. It is the elephant graveyard of professional wrestling.

WWE wouldn't have been able to trademark "MVP". This happened 20 years ago when New Japan tried to assert its rights on Vader's name.

I thought they were hesitant to assert rights on Vader's name because of the potential problems with LucasArts if they drew too much attention to the gimmick? 

Even the elephant mask / headpiece kinda hovered over but never really crossed over into Darth Vader territory.

New Japan sued over the name rights. They lost because Lucasarts owned "Vader".