DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Match was just Star Jr. being insane. So much fun! Horrific logic though since that spot occured 2 minutes in & he was back doing flying moves a minute later. Not to mention he crashed just as bad on the tornillo later but no-sold it & that finishing spot. But he's a teenager. Tearing apart matches with teenagers is probably a sign you need a new hobby.:P

I have been reviewing the entire tourney over at SC. I agree with Robert about Dragon Lee, I think he has been as impressive as the other three finalists. He has been the only guy I have seen get anything impressive out of Guerrero Negro Jr. for example. It is funny the final rankings are exactly the order I would rank them in if you asked me. Good job CMLL voters!

I thought both matches last night were excellent. Dragon Lee/Cachorro did the all out spotfest we've come to expect & Cavernario/Hechicero worked a great no death spots match where Cavernario got super over with the crowd.

I don't think I've ever changed my opinion on a guy as quick as Dragon Lee. When the qualifying Torneo Cibernetico finished I hated the fact he made it in and was pissed they'd probably give him the tournament due to his family instead of letting Hechicero win it. Now that we're down the final 4 I'd actually like to see Dragon Lee win the entire thing. Hechicero making it to the finals will be good enough & could establish him as Dragon Lee's main rival which will instantly elevate him. Cavernario is the complete package - he doesn't need the win. Cachorro could use the win but he'll get over in other ways & has built-in feuds waiting.

No promotion has a better crop of youngsters right now than CMLL.

I will rewatch them when I get to that week in my review, but I was a little disappointed. I liked both of the initial matchups more then the rematches. They were both good, but I loved the first Lee v. Cachorro and Hechicero v. Cavernario matches so much that I was hoping to see them exceeded. I agree with Robert on Dragon Lee, he isn't a guy I had an opinion on before, but he has been great and has all the promise in the world

Okay I don't keep up with this but at 2:00 in the morning I finally saw a 6-man with Cancerbero and two other guys (Raziel? Euforio?) and Star Jr. and some other guys that Dean always pimps and the shit was amazing. It is owning the match with the Casas kids that is now on (Black Panther, Cachorre, Valiente vs. Felino and who the fuck knows). Please let me know what both matches are plus dates tomorrow, I will love you forever.

EDIT: this is the match where the Blue Panther kids stomp the fuck out of the Casas kids... I think. It's late.

For those following along with En Busca De Un Idolo...

The final is Hechicero vs ?

? will be decided completely by fan balloting open until Tuesday or Wednesday. Since the three remaining guys are so close in points it'll come down to whoever finishes 2nd to Hechicero in fan polling this week.

My theory is CMLL wants Cavernario to be in the final since they had him beat Dragon Lee. BUT they could have just done that in some back asswards logic to make sure the other finalist wouldn't be guaranteed until they can announce it on their lame 80's style studio show this Wednesday on Terra. Dangerous logic there as no guarantee Dragon Lee finishes 2nd in fan polling. You would think they'd have learned from two years ago when they wanted Dragon Lee (Mistico II) to win but they had him lose so many times it cost him the final due to us stuffing the balloting for Titan (who won).

Last I checked Cachorro was way ahead because someone stuffed his vote totals. But I was alerted recently things changed and now everyone is bunched together... which is fine since I was gonna start stuffing it for Dragon Lee if they hadn't.:P

Personally, I want Dragon Lee vs Hechicero. I wouldn't be unhappy with either of the other two but gun to my head if you forced me to pick that's how I would go. Unless of course CMLL wants to get creative and jump into the year 2014 to do some sort of wacky triangle match with Cavernario included.

Phil, the final should get all the time it needs. Very quiet show Friday. If you look back at the history of the tournament Angel De Oro/Polvora in 2011 went almost 30 minutes back in a 2/3 fall final. It was 1 fall in 2012 when Titan beat Euforia in a MOTYC that got nearly 15 minutes & last year Vangelis beat Valiente in just over 10 minutes.

Hechicero vs Cavernario it is. The tiebreaking match, one fall, no time limit.

Strong signs point to Cavernario being the favorite but we'll see. We all thought our votes getting Titan to the final in 2012 would mean nothing since CMLL could book their own winner in Euforia but they actually booked Titan to look amazing in that match.

Not done yet! The annual Torneo Cibernetico is next Friday with Casas/Virus leading their original 4 trainees.

Thought the final last night was real good. Was super impressed by Hechicero who kept Cavernario in check after he crashed on the cornerpost tope suicida spot. You could see Cavernario (being a real young kid) wanted to get right up & just go on with the match they had planned but Hechicero slowed him down & made sure things didn't completely fall off the rails. He played a great rudo the entire match and the fans were totally into Cavernario including doing the "ooh ooh ooh" chants (which sound like boo's but are not). There were a couple real good nearfalls at the end & I was shocked when the crowd reacted to Cavernario's finisher before he even had it hooked on. Shows people have been following the tournament and are connection with the new guys.

Should also be noted it was a real big crowd for the final. So whoever says you can't get new guys over needs to get their head checked.

I actually didn't realize this was a non-TV show when I went crazy on twitter so kinda bummed now but still cool to note next Sunday in GDL CMLL is running Solar/Valiente vs Negro Casas/Negro Navarro.