DVDVR Message Board

All Things Borderlands

RIPPA

When are they signing Chadwick Boseman to be Roland, Jared Leto to be Mordecai, and Dave Bautista to be Brick?

No clue on who I'd want to be Lilith or Commandant Steele.  My enjoyment of this movie will depend on whether or not Scooter is awesome. 

If Scooter sucks, fuck that movie.

This is the team I have to blame for Bratz: The Movie, huh.

For a film that was panned, Prince of Persia sure did make a good bit of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Making my way through the Pre-Sequel, just got to the Veins of Helios. Playing as Claptrap has been a bit of a challenge, but not a crippling one or anything.

Seriously, the entire Borderlands series is just outstanding. Fairly simple premise (hey, you, just fucking shoot everything), just challenging enough, fun story, fun characters, and the sort of humor that I really enjoy.

I don't think it's going to catch the Mass Effect series as my favorite game series of all time, but it's at least on a plane with the Fallout games at this point.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the Handsome Collection a while back for Xbox One so if anyone wants to co-op for a bit on either BL2 or TPS let me know. BrianS81177 on xbox live. I'm a level 27 Gaige in BL2 and level 36 Claptrap in TPS. Just send a message that you're from DVDVR. Don't have a working headset at the moment, but will hopefully be able to get one soon. 

Had it set to friends only. I changed it to invite only. So if anyone sees me online, send me a message and I'll send an invite. Currently farming The Warrior on normal mode, then I'll probably start the DLC.

By the way if anyone has any spare legendaries they want to trade (level 34-35) on Xbox One let me know. I have a legendary shield (Corrosive Impaler level 34) and grenade mod (Corrosive Leech level 34) that I don't use. I already have a shotgun and rocket launcher so I'd be interested in a sniper rifle, SMG or assault rife. Not a huge pistol fan.

• 1 month later...

Got The Pre-Sequel on PS3 the other day.  Though I love having more Borderlands, this new anti gravity type of thing takes some real getting used to.  Some things are just plain annoying: Items tend to blow over the edges when you kill a flying/jumping guy, I get randomly knocked off the map and die, and the driving somehow seems worse than it usually is.  Other than that, I'm having fun with it.  Wilhelm's the guy I'm using for my first playthrough.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to Tales From The Borderlands, and just finished it. It's REALLY good. Best thing Telltale has put out IMO. Some thoughts below. AFAIK this game is considered canon, and there are some pretty big events in the Borderlands universe that happen so if you haven't played the game yet do not read the spoilers below. You've been warned. 

Even though he was never really a favorite character of mine or anything, Scooter's death was pretty emotional. They did a good job in this game of making him more than just a jabbering inbred who somehow is really good at fixing cars. I would assume Springs takes over all the Catch-A-Rides. Or maybe Ellie. 

Fiona would make a pretty cool character to play as in Borderlands 3, but I have no idea how they would translate over that special skill of hers (the whole "see the outcome before it happens" thing). I think Loader Bot would make a good playable character too.

So I assume with Helios having crashed, and Handsome Jack's AI (presumably) destroyed for good Hyperion is essentially dead and buried. Since Rhys now owns Atlas, I'd like to see Atlas weapons available in BL3. 

For a while, I was thinking Vaughn was going to be revealed as the stranger but I figured it was Loader Bot when he started getting really hung up on Gortys.

I let Felix blow up because fuck that guy. I also left Yvette in that jail cell so she could go down with the ship. Fuck her too.

I liked how they set up the opening scene from The Pre-Sequel by actually having you play the capture of Athena by Brick and Mordecai. 

The timeline gets a little wonky now and then would be my only gripe, and it's a minor one. 

It would have been a nice touch if you could have collected some loot that could transfer to one of the other games. You get a little loot if you bought the season pass, but nothing special.

• 3 weeks later...

My general thoughts on 1/2/pre-sequel as I've played all of them in recent months a lot (especially 2)

1: It's a good game, though the lack of character development stands out a lot compared to the amount of dialogue in the other two. Having said that this is exactly the kind of thing I wish we had access to modding tools for. The game is simple enough to be expanded without it getting out of hand for the coding. I played through the whole thing as Roland and he really was a one man army. It has some minor annoyances (no on screen minimap being the biggest) but it was a really good start.

2: Honestly one of the best things I've played in years. On top of the combat flow of the game being so good, it's just impossible not to love the writing. You can tell so many people actually *had fun* working on this game. It shows, it shows everywhere. The Mr. Tourge Campaign of Carnage is essentially what I think DVDVR would write had we been given access to working on this shit too. This is something I could be playing on and off for a long, long, long time to come... wish I had better internet and could do multiplayer with it, because this would be a fucking hoot to play with friends. I got the GOTY editioin and there's just so much content. Great, great game and it's on sale all the time now. Handsome Jack is really high on my list of favourite over the top villains in a game.

Pre-Sequel: I have really mixed feelings on it so far (haven't beaten it yet). The low gravity space parkour stuff flat out sucks, there's really no way around it. And this game has a lot of it. This also tends to emphasize one of Boderlands' big weaknesses, the minimap really not dealing well with multiple vertical levels leading to a lot of wandering around lost. Slam is a bad mechanic that doesn't really add anything either. I'm also mixed on how they reworked badasses. They are much stronger, and there are less of them. On one hand it's great this emphasizes them more. On the other hand if you are under-geared (and you will be a lot because with the GRINDER they reworked loot drops to suck more), they are worse bullet sponges and far more dangerous than the actual bosses. It feels like a half step too far in the right direction if that makes sense. Some of the mission design is also insane (the mission where you retrieve the military AI has THIRTY checkbox steps. No. Stop that.) But, I enjoy the writing of the game a lot, the actual story is fun to play through. The characterization is strong. I like the Dahl troops feeling like actual competent trained fighters at times (EG they are much more competent at dodging grenades than enemies in past games). It's not a terrible game, but it is definitely a mixed bag. It takes a lot of chances, and even if some of those don't really work out I respect it for doing that. The effort is real.

If Scooter sucks, fuck that movie.

That Scooter intro in Borderlands 2 may be the greatest NPC cutscene monologue of all time.

The Mr. Tourge Campaign of Carnage is essentially what I think DVDVR would write had we been given access to working on this shit too.

Come to think of it, Torgue's various rants do sound kinda like a recitation of old DEAN~! Workrate Reports as performed by Jesse Ventura. "IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES IT SEEM LIKE HE'S GONNA BETRAY THE F#@% OUT OF YOU?!"

I watched part of a charity speedrun from 2014 on Youtube, where one of the writers sat in with them, and someone commented that Mr. Torgue was basically "Stuff Randy Savage would say, but also kind of a feminist".

I also couldn't shake the feeling his look was indeed based off of prime Jesse the Body. It's definitely the wrestling fan DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Started the Pre-Sequel this morning as I really need to clear space on my HD and this will allow me to get rid of the entire Handsome Jack Collection

Playing as Nisha and I think I made the right choice for the way I like to play though I totally don't have the hang of her "special" yet

Reminder again that both Moxxi and Mr. Torque are two of my all time favorite characters

One of the best elements of the pre-sequel is each character having a lot of unique dialogue. Claptrap was as fun to play as I hoped.

The game does have technical issues though. At least on my PC, it messes up a DLL file every few hours of play it seems and I have to reinstall it. Some sort of weird ass conflict between the game, my hardware, windows 10, or all of the above. It's the kind of thing that would have been corrected if, you know, 2K Australia still existed.

Started the Pre-Sequel this morning as I really need to clear space on my HD and this will allow me to get rid of the entire Handsome Jack Collection

Playing as Nisha and I think I made the right choice for the way I like to play though I totally don't have the hang of her "special" yet

Reminder again that both Moxxi and Mr. Torque are two of my all time favorite characters

Mr. Torgue needs to be a playable character in Borderlands 3. There needs to be some sort of online petition or something for this.

• Like 1

Soon as you can, unlock the grinder and get as many golden keys as you can. You can grind those purples and get legendaries if you're lucky

• 2 weeks later...

So, through 90% of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel I was legitimately baffled by a lot of the venom this game generates. It's not as good as BL 2, but it's still a very good game with a couple quirks. Long stretches of it are actually really great. Vast stretches of it are, frankly, much better than most of Borderlands 1.

Then, what the fuck happened to the design of this game after the Colonel Zarpadon fights? Did they just run out of time, did they decide to just troll everyone? What the hell? The Raum Kampfjet Mark V boss fight is legit one of the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen in a video game. The Sentinel/Empyrian Sentinel isn't much better, either.

In terms of fun in Borderlands I can't think of a single thing I'd rank behind MKM V though. Jesus Christ. Like, the endboss is so broken that you have to fight two bosses back to back with no ammo refils whatsoever, and it's still less broken than that.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2016 at 11:06 PM, BrianS81177 said:

If you have an Xbox Live Gold membership, you can download Borderlands 1 for free from now til the end of the month. Works for 360 or Xbox One

I await the renewal of online hatred for Crawmerax.