DVDVR Message Board

UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II (12/28/2013) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

An advantage on the ground, except Silva escaped his sub and blocked all but one of his takedowns.

The myth of Weidman grows by the day.

The first three minutes of that fight were worrying. The easy takedown (in hindsight reminiscent of Chael's round 1 in their rematch), the ground and pound (hardly Vovchanchyn, but you never know what will get through), and the sub attempt. 

The last two minutes of that round were Anderson clowning Weidman on the feet, and Weidman oddly not going for another takedown.

Start of round two. Anderson is comfortable. Weidman goes for a takedown, which gets nothinged. I think the KO was the first time Weidman hit him with strikes in R2. Until that point, it was looking like Chael 2 or the Bonnar match. Weidman actually looked a little befuddled at the end of the first.  

I imagine Weidman will be better yet for the rematch, but it's hard to see Anderson losing if he takes it seriously, and uses a similar strategy to the Marquardt or Okami fights. 

• Like 1

An advantage on the ground, except Silva escaped his sub and blocked all but one of his takedowns.

The first three minutes of that fight were worrying. The easy takedown (in hindsight reminiscent of Chael's round 1 in their rematch), the ground and pound (hardly Vovchanchyn, but you never know what will get through), and the sub attempt.

The last two minutes of that round were Anderson clowning Weidman on the feet, and Weidman oddly not going for another takedown.

Start of round two. Anderson is comfortable. Weidman goes for a takedown, which gets nothinged. I think the KO was the first time Weidman hit him with strikes in R2. Until that point, it was looking like Chael 2 or the Bonnar match. Weidman actually looked a little befuddled at the end of the first.

I imagine Weidman will be better yet for the rematch, but it's hard to see Anderson losing if he takes it seriously, and uses a similar strategy to the Marquardt or Okami fights.

We saw completely different fights. See, to say a guy is "clowning" someone he kind of needs to actually be doing something and not just looking like a dumbass. To say Anderson was comfortable is the opposite of how it looked to me. Anderson landed virtually no strikes the entire fight and was completely frustrated by the start of the second round.

I also would expect Anderson to be much better in the rematch but without an opponent that is completely frozen in fear of even throwing a punch it becomes more of a tossup.

No matter who wins on 12/28, someone is going to play the "he wasn't that good to begin with" angle for the loser and that's just downright pathetic.

I doubt that. That card only gets played for one of the two outcomes.

Also, not being afraid of standing with Silva seems more foolish than admirable. Which doesn't really reflect on Weidman at all because it's just words on a message board and not the way the fighter actually thinks. He needs to take this fight to the ground.

Silva looked like a lot of things at the beginning of that 2nd round, but I didn't see frustrated.

To be clear, I don't really have a strong opinion on who is going to win this thing. I think Silva is going to come out and be more aggressive than normal. It just feels like a quick fight either way.

I do, however, want Silva to win and I want him to dance the entire time.

No matter who wins on 12/28, someone is going to play the "he wasn't that good to begin with" angle for the loser and that's just downright pathetic.

I doubt that. That card only gets played for one of the two outcomes.

Also, not being afraid of standing with Silva seems more foolish than admirable. Which doesn't really reflect on Weidman at all because it's just words on a message board and not the way the fighter actually thinks. He needs to take this fight to the ground.

Silva looked like a lot of things at the beginning of that 2nd round, but I didn't see frustrated.

Swinging and missing, yelling at Weidman to engage the way he wanted, and then having a mental breakdown in front of millions of people equals frustrated to me. 

Not being afraid of Silva isn't foolish or admirable, it's what would be required to have any chance against him on the feet.  Most of Silva's challengers when the bell rings get completely tentative and reserved on the feet and appear to be wary of even throwing a strike or engaging for fear of Silva's accurate counters.  When guys come into the fight like that, Silva has already won. 

I'm looking forward to this card probably more than any show I've seen this year.  I do hope Tate gets her arm stretched again not because I don't like her but more because she doesn't deserve to be there.  Cat Zingano beat her but Tate still got rewarded with the show and the title fight.   It's odd since Tate was the one initially complaining about Ronda getting pushed to the front of the women's division back when they originally fought and had a big problem with Ronda in her opinion not deserving to fight her at the time.  Now it's reversed but it's cool because she's benefitting. 

I'll put this in spoiler tags for the graphic content:

rousey-armbars-tate-collage.jpg

SNAP.gif

It took a while for Tate to tap out when trapped in those two Armbars. If she gets caught again, I wonder how long she'll wait and if that leads to a snap. This month provided one of the most brutal submission finishes when Frank Mir became the first person to tap out Antonio Nogueira breaking his arm via Kimura.

We saw completely different fights. See, to say a guy is "clowning" someone he kind of needs to actually be doing something and not just looking like a dumbass. To say Anderson was comfortable is the opposite of how it looked to me. Anderson landed virtually no strikes the entire fight and was completely frustrated by the start of the second round.

I think you're right. We did see different fights. :) Looking at Silva's external behaviour, if he was frustrated, then he must also have been frustrated in the Bonnar fight. His actions (moving himself against the cage, gently outgrappling his opponent, acting disoriented) were the same in both fights. Silva didn't really land anything of note against Bonnar before going in for the kill, or the fight would have been over sooner.

I'm unsurprised by the 'virtually no strikes' for the first few minutes (especially when he's on his back for half a round), because that's how he always plays it before going in for a very quick kill. Against Weidman, he just clowned a bit too long, played himself, and got killed.

I can see where you're coming from. I just remember watching the fight and noting how Weidman was clearly not rattled by Silva and that paired with Silva's lack of success early in the fight and his reaction to that made me feel like Silva looked frustrated. It didn't look the same in the Bonnar fight because Bonnar was clearly outclassed and couldn't do anything to Silva.

I can see where you're coming from. I just remember watching the fight and noting how Weidman was clearly not rattled by Silva and that paired with Silva's lack of success early in the fight and his reaction to that made me feel like Silva looked frustrated. It didn't look the same in the Bonnar fight because Bonnar was clearly outclassed and couldn't do anything to Silva.

Indeed. Were you to watch the Bonnar and Weidman fights without prior knowledge of each man's power/danger, I wonder if you'd react any differently while doing so. We know Bonnar was outclassed, and we know Weidman can knock people out. But, until the very final seconds of the fights, they are quite similar. That's all I'm getting at in terms of Silva's reactions. 

In terms of Silva's 'lack of success early', that first round was eerily similar to R1 of Sonnen II. Silva came out for R2 in that match ready to put his opponent away. I doubt he'd have been all that shaken up by the fact that Weidman was harder to hold close and neutralise.

Or maybe you're right. Maybe that's exactly what it was: Silva used that first round to test Weidman's strength. He didn't like what he felt, so he got back up ASAP (footlock escape). Maybe Weidman's top game is stronger than Sonnen's, and so Silva didn't feel as in control. I'm just not convinced how upset he'd have been about that fact, given that he got back to the feet where he's comfortable anyway.

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira is likely to be taking place in Baltimore.  With Jones' brother on the Ravens it'll mean that the Ravens players will be there in support of him which will probably turn it into an unofficial home match for Jones with the crowd most likely behind him.