DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2024

A reset of the movie/TV universe doesn't mean things are gonna be different here do they? 

Well, Wonder Woman is going to(?) become a mommy! 

Jay Garrick became (or always was?) a daddy! 

And John Stewart (well, one of them?) became a Green Lantern god!  Welcome to the world Caolan Shepherd.  (Hey, fun fact, my last name actually translates to "shepherd"!   Weird they'd give him an extremely Spanish first name and then just give up from there.) 

2024!

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A reset of the movie/TV universe doesn't mean things are gonna be different here do they? 

Doesn't DC reboot their multiverse every year or two anyway nowadays?

I think the best advice for reading DC books in 2024 is follow a writer/creative team and ignore everything else. Read Waid’s books, read Josh Williamson’s books, read Tom Taylor’s books, etc. 

• Like 1

Busiek

Bruce Wayne and Bertie Wooster are both constantly getting into trouble, have uber-competent butlers, and THE SAME INITIALS.

Coincidence? Or something more?

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2024 at 4:08 PM, tbarrie said:

Wait, what? I tried googling this but found nothing relevant.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-comics-have-told-marvel-that-they-own-machine-man/

kind of an interesting premise. Basically, a version of Machine Man first appeared in the 2001: A Space Odyssey comic adaptation published by Marvel. Since DC/Warner owns the IP for 2001, they are claiming that all characters in the adaptation are their property.

That will largely depend on the wording in the contract for their adaptation, as we have seen it happen both ways. for example, Marvel did a ROM comic and doesn't own ROM but did retain all the originally created characters. Alternately, numerous characters like Death's Head made a single appearance in a different Marvel book before debuting in Transformers so that Marvel would retain the rights. So who knows what will come out of this?

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:54 AM, odessasteps said:

I think the best advice for reading DC books in 2024 is follow a writer/creative team and ignore everything else. Read Waid’s books, read Josh Williamson’s books, read Tom Taylor’s books, etc. 

Honestly, I think this is the best advice for modern US comics in general. 

Also, Ram V is definitely one who should be getting that following. His run on Detective Comics has been great.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Honestly, I think this is the best advice for modern US comics in general. 

Also, Ram V is definitely one who should be getting that following. His run on Detective Comics has been great.

Hey, haven't seen you in a while. You well?

Heard good stuff about Ram V on Detective Comics. Will have to give it a go as I dropped Chip Zdarsky's Batman.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:54 AM, The Natural said:

Hey, haven't seen you in a while. You well?

Heard good stuff about Ram V on Detective Comics. Will have to give it a go as I dropped Chip Zdarsky's Batman.

I'm good thanks! Just did basically all my internet from a phone for some years and got out of the forum habit due to optimization. But then had a hankering of nostalgia after seeing the Dean tribute show announced and since I have a proper desktop setup again, figured I'd try to get back into the vibe. 

Zdarsky's Batman is fun and well drawn enough for me to keep up with, but only on DC Infinite where I'm not paying a monthly. Absolutely braindead action comics, the latest creator to take a vibrant rich Morrison idea and absolutely beat all the charm and nuance out of it to deliver something pretty flavourless (following the absolutely agonizing Multiversity/Final Crisis riffs in JL Incarnate by Williamson). Total empty calories and that's fine enough but it's not like...good.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I'm good thanks! Just did basically all my internet from a phone for some years and got out of the forum habit due to optimization. But then had a hankering of nostalgia after seeing the Dean tribute show announced and since I have a proper desktop setup again, figured I'd try to get back into the vibe. 

Zdarsky's Batman is fun and well drawn enough for me to keep up with, but only on DC Infinite where I'm not paying a monthly. Absolutely braindead action comics, the latest creator to take a vibrant rich Morrison idea and absolutely beat all the charm and nuance out of it to deliver something pretty flavourless (following the absolutely agonizing Multiversity/Final Crisis riffs in JL Incarnate by Williamson). Total empty calories and that's fine enough but it's not like...good.

Hope to see you around more.

Yeah, I was hoping for something different from Chip Zdarsky. The first arc felt more like a last arc of a run. I popped seeing the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh but didn't like how he was subsequently used. Zdarsky using Grant Morrison ideas just reminds you that nobody does comics better than Grant. To me, he's the comic book writer GOAT. As you know I love Batman but it doesn't stop me liking everything. Chip's Spider-Man and Daredevil runs are better than this.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:14 AM, The Natural said:

nobody does comics better than Grant. To me, he's the comic book writer GOAT.

gonna need to see a list. i know you love your top 10s.

i'll contribute with my top 5:

1. Grant Morrison  (crazy ideas that they consistently pull off flawlessly. really deep concepts that still make sense when given a lot of thought.)
  2. Kurt Busiek  (rock solid stories. everything he does with stalwart characters builds on what came before. and Astro City is just phenomenal!)
  3. Alan Moore  (my introduction to "deep thought" comics. Watchmen and MiracleMan alone would put him on my list)
  4. Stan Lee  (gotta give love to the man who started the whole Marvel U. also credit to Jack Kirby. but this is about writers)
  5. Ed Brubaker  (his Captain America run hooked me, and i've since read most of his Image series and i love them all)

so many more people could have gone on this list. Claremont's X-Men run alone is X-Traordinary. Jim Starlin's "Infinity Gauntlet" is one of my top two stories of all time. Roy Thomas WAS '70s Marvel. J.M. DeMatteis is quintessential '80s Marvel. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

Even though he was a DC guy, Paul Levitz on LSH is definitely a top 10 guy. I think my top five Marvel is Lee, Claremont, Hickman, Noncenti and Demattis (his PPTSSM run was just incredible and of course Fearful Symmetry)

James

• Like 3

JDR has way too many misses for me to put him real high, even though his best stuff is great.

Waid is my favorite guy for straight up classic super hero type stories.

Grant... Well, they are the best. Period. For me, at least, there's never been anyone better than them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

gonna need to see a list. i know you love your top 10s.

i'll contribute with my top 5:

1. Grant Morrison  (crazy ideas that he consistently pulls off flawlessly. really deep concepts that still make sense when given a lot of thought.)
  2. Kurt Busiek  (rock solid stories. everything he does with stalwart characters builds on what came before. and Astro City is just phenomenal!)
  3. Alan Moore  (my introduction to "deep thought" comics. Watchmen and MiracleMan alone would put him on my list)
  4. Stan Lee  (gotta give love to the man who started the whole Marvel U. also credit to Jack Kirby. but this is about writers)
  5. Ed Brubaker  (his Captain America run hooked me, and i've since read most of his Image series and i love them all)

so many more people could have gone on this list. Claremont's X-Men run alone is X-Traordinary. Jim Starlin's "Infinity Gauntlet" is one of my top two stories of all time. Roy Thomas WAS '70s Marvel. J.M. DeMatteis is quintessential '80s Marvel. 

I do like my lists. I'll do a top five like you. The top three is easy, four-five was difficult.

1. Grant Morrison.

2. Stan Lee.

3. Alan Moore.

4. Frank Miller.

5. Denny O'Neil.

Frank Miller has high highs but the lowest lows so his inclusion I went back and forth on. Honourable mentions to Mark Waid, Scott Snyder, Ed Brubaker and JM DeMatteis.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Considered Brian Michael Bendis as an honourable mention but ruled him out as the only thing of his I ever liked is Ultimate Spider-Man which is great.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

JDR has way too many misses for me to put him real high, even though his best stuff is great.

Waid is my favorite guy for straight up classic super hero type stories.

Grant... Well, they are the best. Period. For me, at least, there's never been anyone better than them.

Been meaning to ask you for Grant Morrison's Justice League run, start and finish of. Thanks in advance. I think it's the only Batman by Grant Morrison I've never read. I've read Gothic, 52 and them's Batman 2006-2013 run, not only the best Batman run ever, it's the best comic book run ever as well. Am I missing any other Batman by Grant Morrison?

Edited by The Natural

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

Been meaning to ask you for Grant Morrison's Justice League run, start and finish of. Thanks in advance. I think it's the only Batman by Grant Morrison I've never read. I've read Gothic, 52 and them's Batman 2006-2013 run, not only the best Batman run ever, it's the best comic book run ever as well. Am I missing any other Batman by Grant Morrison?

Their JLA was 1-17, 22-31, 34-41, 1,000,000 and the JLA: Earth 2 OGN.

You've read their Arkham Asylum book, right?

• Thanks 1