DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2024

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

JDR has way too many misses for me to put him real high, even though his best stuff is great.

Waid is my favorite guy for straight up classic super hero type stories.

Grant... Well, they are the best. Period. For me, at least, there's never been anyone better than them.

I’d argue there’s stuff on Morrison’s resume that does not equal heights of his best stuff, but some of that is not necessarily DCU. Some of the Vertigo minis are not my cups of tea. I asked Morrison recently about the Dan Dare on the Substack, but the answer hasn’t been posted yet. 

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Their JLA was 1-17, 22-31, 34-41, 1,000,000 and the JLA: Earth 2 OGN.

You've read their Arkham Asylum book, right?

Thanks for the JLA reading run.

Can't believe I forgot Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. D'oh.

43 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Their JLA was 1-17, 22-31, 34-41, 1,000,000 and the JLA: Earth 2 OGN.

You've read their Arkham Asylum book, right?

Are these from the JLA run?

https://mycomics.it/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2023/05/Justice-League-Batman-Funko-POP-461-Special-Edition.jpg

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.7yKUHDTiJgks0aMcr4zw3AAAAA?dpr=1.3&pid=ImgDetMain

I just remembered this cover:

https://freshcomics.s3.amazonaws.com/issue_covers/FEB160222.jpg

I picked Batman up as he looks different to the other Batman Funko Pop out there.

Edited by The Natural

Nightwing will start featuring legacy numbering with April's #113 / #300. Pretty cool, as i've been collecting Dick's solo adventures as Nightwing practically since the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

Nightwing will start featuring legacy numbering with April's #113 / #300. Pretty cool, as i've been collecting Dick's solo adventures as Nightwing practically since the beginning.

You survived Ric. Fair play, pal xxx.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You survived Ric. Fair play, pal xxx.

no doubt, that definitely tested my dedication. If they had relaunched with a new #1 when Taylor's run began, i probably would have stopped. as it stands now, my compulsion for completion keeps me on the hook until this volume ends. or they kill/replace Dick, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

no doubt, that definitely tested my dedication. If they had relaunched with a new #1 when Taylor's run began, i probably would have stopped. as it stands now, my compulsion for completion keeps me on the hook until this volume ends. or they kill/replace Dick, whichever comes first.

I'd have started a new Nightwing volume with Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo as a fresh start away from the Ric stink.

I appreciate that DC has limited the number of relaunches the last few years, although with Superman,Wonder Woman, and Flash having done new number ones recently and some scuttlebutt that Batman might do the same after #150 I do wonder if they're going to a more Marvel approach for stuff that isn't Action and Detective. 

It's a bit of a tricky balance and I can see the argument both ways, honestly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 4:33 PM, Kang said:

Mark Waid is leaving Shazam to work with Scott Snyder. I wonder if it's to help with building the new DC universe?

Given Waid and Snyder are the names in play, I'm real interested in the latest attempt at an Ultimate DC Universe.

On a different note, I just skimmed next week's Batman and nearly cackled at the canon explanation for the Three Jokers bit now that the Johns book is being moved firmly out of canon. It's deeply, deeply stupid in a very funny way that I think is gonna make some people very mad.

• Like 1

It was reported the new DC universe will have the greatest moments baked in, so I'm guessing maybe Bane breaking Batman's back and the Return of Barry Allen (really Professor Zoom) 

The Three Jokers story was moved to the Black Label line, and is out of continuity. The latest Batman writer just did his own take on the story. The original story had continuity differences.

Got the first 2 volumes of Tom Taylor's Nightwing run and this has been the most dun I've had rwading Nightwing since Dixon/McDaniel.

It's such a breezy and fun read and yeah, it has those moments where I get a little misty-eyed.

I'll wait for Vol 3 in softcover which, given DCs ether induced turnaround (come... back... here... you... rab... bit) will be sometime around Xmas

James

The Justice Society of America series keeps getting delayed. I wonder if they axed the series after issue 12; it was to become a regular series after first being a miniseries. I can't think of anyone who would know what to write under the current DC.

There have been times in DC publishing history to not bother to publish JSA series at all. 

In recent years, it has become the Women's and minorities team. It might even drop the "of America" part. 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:54 PM, J.H. said:

Got the first 2 volumes of Tom Taylor's Nightwing run and this has been the most dun I've had rwading Nightwing since Dixon/McDaniel.

It's such a breezy and fun read and yeah, it has those moments where I get a little misty-eyed.

I'll wait for Vol 3 in softcover which, given DCs ether induced turnaround (come... back... here... you... rab... bit) will be sometime around Xmas

James

The Fear State collection also slots between either 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 and is worth reading too. 

On 1/25/2024 at 4:33 PM, Kang said:

Mark Waid is leaving Shazam to work with Scott Snyder. I wonder if it's to help with building the new DC universe?

Since it hasn't been mentioned here, it turned out Waid was actually leaving Shazam to write the summer event Absolute Power.

All of it. 

Every issue.

Every tie-in. 

Everything. 

22 issues in total over like 3-4 months. 

Absolute madness.

Dan Mora is drawing the main series too, being another guy with real absurd levels and quality of output. Should be a hoot.

• Like 2

I have been really enjoying the new Flash series, but I feel like I'm missing something from a book I didn't get with Wally and Barry being on bad terms. Otherwise, it's largely what I've come to expect with Spurrier, who became one of my favorite X-office guys when he was doing that batshit insane X-Force run and hasn't let me down since, and Deodato who isn't exactly my jam but is certainly talented.

7 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I have been really enjoying the new Flash series, but I feel like I'm missing something from a book I didn't get with Wally and Barry being on bad terms. Otherwise, it's largely what I've come to expect with Spurrier, who became one of my favorite X-office guys when he was doing that batshit insane X-Force run and hasn't let me down since, and Deodato who isn't exactly my jam but is certainly talented.

I know someone who is a big Flash guy who really dislikes this take and and is only buying it to keep his collection intact (which I think goes back to Showcase 4). 

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I know someone who is a big Flash guy who really dislikes this take and and is only buying it to keep his collection intact (which I think goes back to Showcase 4). 

Interesting. What does he dislike? Personally, as someone who came in not long after ZH and counts Wally as his #1 DC char, I've found it better than the Jeremy Adams series.

From what i understand, I think it’s the … horror elements. I’m not reading it but I think that was the complaint, I stopped reading Flash during the Williamson run. Norma I reading the Jay Garrick book. 

• Like 1