DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2024

I...don't think I liked much of the Krakoa era of the X-Men. I know dude from Comics Explained jizzed all over every single story from it, but it started with the Moira stuff and then, just like, a whole fuckton of other stuff that hasn't grabbed me, like, multiple Sinisters, white hot room stuff, etc. And then back to the Moira stuff to reset everything.

It's not like I paid...well...much to read any of this, but I couldn't see myself going into my LCS to keep up with this X-Men storyline.

I figure, if i lost interest in reading the books by Gillen and Ewing, it’s a lost cause, let alone the books written by Duggan or Howard. 

Def ready for a new restart. If it’s Simone as the lead writer, it could be good. 

oh man, total other boat for me. i was hooked with the original HOX/POX miniseries and haven't even considered jumping off. i am sad to see this era close, it's the most i enjoyed the X books sincd Morrison.

i assume it helps that i read by the storyline, instead of weekly/monthly as the books come out. and like @Craig, i didn't pay......much.

• Like 3

I read Avengers Twilight 2

Spoiler

Dr.Strange is dead. He died many years ago on H-Day. 

The President of USA works for the CEO, Kyle Jarvis.

The Thunderbolts are some kind of shock troops. The new Bullseye works for them and is female.

The main villains are revealed to be Kyle Jarvis (the Red Skull) and disembodied Ultron.

The Punisher and Sue Storm also died on H-Day in issue 1.

Strangely the Mutant race seems to not even exist.

The Backup Beast mind is from the New Defenders period. He wouldn't know anything from after that period.

Ultimate Spider-man 2 came out

Spoiler

Peter's webs are organic. 

I don't think Peter has spider-sense like his Earth 616 counterpart? But his reaction time and spatial awareness are off the charts.

The Kingpin rules his own part of North America.

The Shocker isn't a jobber like his Earth 1610 counterpart is.

Edited by Kang

On 2/18/2024 at 10:58 PM, twiztor said:

oh man, total other boat for me. i was hooked with the original HOX/POX miniseries and haven't even considered jumping off. i am sad to see this era close, it's the most i enjoyed the X books sincd Morrison.

i assume it helps that i read by the storyline, instead of weekly/monthly as the books come out. and like @Craig, i didn't pay......much.

It's funny because I was a bit of both. I adored HoX/PoX and while I like a lot of the stuff following it, there was too much chaff to wheat ratio for me. But Inferno got me back in and the Gillen/Ewing books have been my fave X-Men stuff since...well, the last time Gillen was on it. 

Really hoping they have something interesting in the works to follow because trying to go backwards to evoking something like Claremont isn't super likely to land for me right now.

4 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's funny because I was a bit of both. I adored HoX/PoX and while I like a lot of the stuff following it, there was too much chaff to wheat ratio for me. But Inferno got me back in and the Gillen/Ewing books have been my fave X-Men stuff since...well, the last time Gillen was on it. 

Really hoping they have something interesting in the works to follow because trying to go backwards to evoking something like Claremont isn't super likely to land for me right now.

yeah, that was a lot of stuff that i didn't love. Sabretooth/Sabretooth & the Exiles was unnecessary. i haven't read the X-Force or Wolverine titles. but i LOVED Marauders. and Immortal X-Men/Sins of Sinister. and X-Men Red was pretty great too. i'm really curious what, if anything, happens with Arakko and her mutants. 

i was just thinking the same thing. like, how do you have this huge new status quo, literally world changing type thing, and then revert to good mutants vs. bad mutants? i don't see that happening, so there's got to be some new angle they're going with. i think after this big climax i'll probably take a couple years off from the X-Men, let it shake itself out, and then play catch-up. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 10:06 PM, twiztor said:

like, how do you have this huge new status quo, literally world changing type thing, and then revert to good mutants vs. bad mutants? i don't see that happening, so there's got to be some new angle they're going with. i think after this big climax i'll probably take a couple years off from the X-Men, let it shake itself out, and then play catch-up. 

I'm just at the other side of Sins of Sinister (my library is real slow to get the collected comics out on Hoopla), so I know there's more to catch up on, but yeah, I agree that going back to the old status quo is going to be real hard. Is Magneto going to stay dead? What will they do with Arakko? What about Krakoa himself? What about Xavier, and Legion, and and and --

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I'm just at the other side of Sins of Sinister (my library is real slow to get the collected comics out on Hoopla), so I know there's more to catch up on, but yeah, I agree that going back to the old status quo is going to be real hard. Is Magneto going to stay dead? What will they do with Arakko? What about Krakoa himself? What about Xavier, and Legion, and and and --

considering there's a monthly comic being published right now called "the Resurrection of Magneto", i'm going to go ahead and assume that no, he won't stay dead. 😁 i haven't read it yet (waiting for the Fall of X stories to all conclude) but that specific point made me laugh. 

• Haha 1

Some expect they gut some things out of continuity. Probably end up with the true timeline. 

Spoiler

I dunno if those Women of Marvel futures are true, if so two X teams will be lead by women. Rogue's team looks a bit 90's X-Men, but not fully.

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

considering there's a monthly comic being published right now called "the Resurrection of Magneto", i'm going to go ahead and assume that no, he won't stay dead. 😁 i haven't read it yet (waiting for the Fall of X stories to all conclude) but that specific point made me laugh. 

Yeah, shows you how tapped into what's going on I am, doesn't it? *shameface* Ah well, at some point I'll circle back and get a list of collected stuff to yell at my library about.

They messed around with the dead (Moira Engine) timelines and now the defunct Moira lives timelines in the Dead X-Men series. Moira's 8th and 7th lives are revisited. Hank Pym ends up creating giant Ultrons who kill in the 7th life.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:40 AM, JLSigman said:

Yeah, shows you how tapped into what's going on I am, doesn't it? *shameface* Ah well, at some point I'll circle back and get a list of collected stuff to yell at my library about.

Ewing is writing that Magneto mini and people seem to enjoying it so far (issue 2 out this week). 

I read Avengers Twilight issue 3.

Spoiler

Most of the villains have been executed over time over the years. Cap invades the raft to get disembodied Tony back. Bullesye helps after changing her mind and hits James Stark. Cap also gets his shield back while it was stored in the raft.

A big fight with James Stark in his war machine armor. Thor comes back and strikes down James with lightning. 

I guess Iron Man will be Cyborg Tony, similar to Robocop.

Ms. Marvel/Khan powers are growing big like Giant Man.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hisako on the cover is the first time I've been really interested in this new Ultimate universe, instead of mild curiosity.

Strongly recommended Ultimate Spider-Man by Jonathan Hickman/Marco Checchetto.

You bringing up the new Ultimate universe reminds me how great the original Ultimate Spider-Man was by Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley especially Ultimate Spider-Man #13 which we both love.

• Like 1