DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOURTEEN

RIPPA

The Bills are playing like I thought they would. I was wrong about it not being enough to possibly win. I think they just might win if any WR could catch a pass that isn’t a screen. I know Hardy did catch 1…and that’s what kept this drive alive. Meanwhile more screens is out because Diggs just dropped that last one. Allen is a beast. Meanwhile I’ve heard homers of other quarterbacks cry that their guy needs help while they’re not doing half the things he does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man when Patrick Mahomes wants to fight you know something is up.  Apparently he was pissed at the refs but are we sure about that

So there are 6 teams with 7-6 records fighting for the last 2 wild card spots.   

He was yelling at the referee and I'm no lip reader but he certainly said "offsides" a few times so I figure it was about that. Toney was clearly offsides so either he was mad they called it, or it was a situation like last year where the WR thought he checked his spot/got the nod from the referee and the flag was thrown anyway.

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

there was also a 3rd down play with where Von Miller lined up 

Fake news. The picture going around social media is from an angle after the ball was snapped and the blue line isn't accurate. Its possible at the time the ball was snapped his hand was at the line but the ball was being snapped as he took a step forward. Toney was literally standing offsides like a dope. Certainly not a big enough "miss" for people to get excited about.

• Like 1

Toney was so clearly in the neutral zone that I can't imagine it not being called. If he checked with a ref and got the nod then then ref should be fired.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Toney was so clearly in the neutral zone that I can't imagine it not being called. If he checked with a ref and got the nod then then ref should be fired.

IIRC nothing happened to the ref who did the same thing to Terry McLaurin last year, though.

28 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

IIRC nothing happened to the ref who did the same thing to Terry McLaurin last year, though.

To be fair we have no indication if that happened with Toney. With McLaurin, it was a situation where it was an illegal formation issue, related to how many are on the line. I don't think WRs typically ask the referees if they are offsides or not.

for some reason, I suspect that offensive offsides penalties typically get called on non-offensive linemen, despite the OL making up a majority of players on the LOS

so when you have a receiver like Toney who has been playing a lot of RB this year.. that feels like a guy who is gonna fuck up lining up

I don’t know about the blue line but I do know that a skill player lining up offsides gets called every time even though it doesn’t happen often similar to an illegal shift or a player not being set. I don’t know that me being told to check with the ref in highschool every play is indicative of anything here either but that’s sure what I was told and what I did. 

47 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

for the record, the ref for the game is going with the "we don't have to tell you if you're offsides" approach https://twitter.com/mattderrick/status/1734034983298245058

They shouldn't have to tell you that you're offsides if you're literally staring right at the damn ball before the snap.

https://twitter.com/RKalland/status/1734009642202865739

• Like 2