DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

probably a solid move for a few candidates to wait and let themselves be the guy who followed DeBoer instead of the guy following Saban

Gonna be waiting awhile, I think. DeBoer is 104-12 as a head coach and has made the national title game in five of his nine seasons. 

57 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Gonna be waiting awhile, I think. DeBoer is 104-12 as a head coach and has made the national title game in five of his nine seasons. 

going 67-3 with an NAIA team doesn't really mean anything for how he's gonna do at Alabama. Sure he's 104-12 but that doesn't mean he drinks a winning juice. 

He's been successful in places that get way less scrutiny than Alabama. Even Washington is practically a world's away from Alabama. I'm not sure if Alabama is the craziest fanbase in college football but it's the craziest fanbase for a team that's consistently in the hunt.

The conference switch means that DeBoer's value at Washington was never gonna be higher than it is right now. Washington is probably hitting the earth pretty hard going to the Big 10 and having to keep people from leaving with DeBoer. So I can see why DeBoer is taking his shot now and if this doesn't work, he can land back on the west coach quickly.

But this hire feels like it could go badly (by whatever standard Alabama uses for "badly") because you're following up a great coach with a guy who is very unproven having to acclimate to the SEC football culture.

I don't really know who else Alabama fans realistically wanted, they (as a general mob) just seem to be shitting on every available option. There are no real red flags with DeBoer but I wonder if the fans will even give him a chance, if he loses three games next year there will probably be a petition to get him fired. I wish they had hired Lane Kiffin, at least that would have been funny.

also, Washington had the second best passing offense in FBS in 2023 and Alabama, while not flaccid, didn't usually go pass-heavy with Saban and had a bunch of really highly thought of RBs

"run the ball more" is a cornerstone of some people's worldview, so if DeBoer hits bump early, the claim will probably be that he doesn't run it enough (might not even need to be a true claim since running the ball can't fail, it can only be failed) 

Even if LSU had a top passing offense in 2023, the SEC as a whole doesn't really do as much pass-heavy offense as the Big 12 or west coast teams.

On a different note, Ohio State's early off-season is in a lot of ways looking a lot like Michigan's last year. The key portal pickups are bigger names at more noticable positions, but, MHJ aside, there's just been a parade of draft eligible players coming back for another year. I think a whole lot of guys don't want to leave without a single gold pants.

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

also, Washington had the second best passing offense in FBS in 2023 and Alabama, while not flaccid, didn't usually go pass-heavy with Saban and had a bunch of really highly thought of RBs

Eh, they're roughly 50/50 in attempts but averaged nearly 360 yards passing in 2020.  Washington definitely was more pass-heavy but I don't think you're going to see Alabama throwing 45 times a game. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

On a different note, Ohio State's early off-season is in a lot of ways looking a lot like Michigan's last year. The key portal pickups are bigger names at more noticable positions, but, MHJ aside, there's just been a parade of draft eligible players coming back for another year. I think a whole lot of guys don't want to leave without a single gold pants.

I think Ohio wins the conference next year and ends the losing streak against Michigan. 

DeBoer’s lack of experience in the SEC/south is concerning, but Saban had no experience prior to LSU, nor Urban prior to Florida, etc. There are successful counterpoints to enormous flops like Harsin at Auburn.

The bigger concern is his lack of recruiting profile. Washington currently has what would be a bottom quarter recruiting class in the B1G. Granted this may be a bit of sour grapes, but lots of UW people think DeBoer is getting out prior to the roster collapsing after all the Petersen/Lake-era guys have cycled out. That is not going to cut it in the SEC shark tank. And that’s not necessarily something that can be amended by simply hiring a bunch of killers for assistants. An elite recruiting culture starts at the top, and if that’s not in DeBoer, then that’s not what DeBoer-Bama is going to be.

I don’t have any inside info on this, but a name I might keep an eye on for DeBoer’s staff is South Alabama HC Kane Wommack. They were on staff together at Indiana, and Kane knows the lay of the land down here really well. Has a lot of the recruiting connections that DeBoer will need.

I can't get over that DeBoer went from D-II Sioux Falls to ALABAMA in 15 years. Can anyone else match that kind of trajectory?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can't get over that DeBoer went from D-II Sioux Falls to ALABAMA in 15 years. Can anyone else match that kind of trajectory?

That might top Malzahn going from being a high school coach to coaching Auburn in under 10 years because of the destination.

Also he was coaching in Sioux Falls when they were in NAIA, not in D2. But going from being Eastern Michigan’s OC to Alabama’s HC in under a decade is a change too.

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

I think Ohio wins the conference next year and ends the losing streak against Michigan. 

Pending decisions from some Michigan players and a coach, I think right now Ohio and Oregon are the two obvious favorites in the B1G next year.

it feels like we have a bit of a sample size for acclimation periods after switching conferences but it's obviously not much of a sample size.. so I could see the PAC schools struggling when they go to the midwest for B10 games while doing well in their part of the country

a good portion of 2024 CFB is gonna be teams that aren't really deeply familiar with each other playing conference games so there might be some upheaval until we get the status quo sorted out

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Cam Ward has changed his mind about the draft, is headed to Miami. Big pick up for Mario.

Might make it all the way to 8-5 this year! 

• Haha 1