DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2023

Dolfan in NYC

I think we have a winner for "Most petty way to deny opponent's celebration"

In the second leg of the Peruvian championship, the home team was confident of a victory, having drawn the first leg away to their rival, 1-1. However, things they did not go their way, and they lost the second leg, 2-0 (and 3-1 on aggregate).

The opposing team however, did not get a chance to celebrate on their rivals turf, as moments after the final whistle, the lights in the stadium went completely out, except for the LED advertising boards. The general belief is that it wasn't a "power outage", but someone backstage furious that their hated opponents were going to celebrate the title on their pitch.

If so, they did get their wish, as the post-match celebration was cancelled due to the "power outage" (and as fighting broke out between rival fans).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/09/football-daily-email-universitario-alianza-lima-peru?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

edit: Now that I think about it, this does have some upsides, in that it allows the team to officially raise the trophy at home with their supporters this weekend, but kinda unfair that they didn't get to celebrate on enemy turf.. I think before the next derby between the two teams at that stadium, they should be allowed to reenact the trophy celebration, complete with confetti cannons, etcetera.

Edited by SirFozzie

Funny thing is despite me making an American Pro/Rel pyramid mod for FM24, I recently got into it with a bunch of "MLS Promotion/Relegation NOW!" Mouthbreathers On Twitter/X. Why do I call them mouthbreathers? Because they're Don Quixotes, tilting at windmills. As long as MLS can make a couple hundred million bucks for flogging off expansion franchises, they're never going to want to open it up to teams not already in their club. I stated that fact, and got told I'm an "abuse victim acquiescing to the abusers"... which.. yeah.. there's no rationalizing with that kind of people.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

I always figured they might do the “MLS/MLS2” thing when they split the league in two when they got to 40 teams. Since American owners didn’t pay $500m for a “”minor league team” they would get with real promotion/relegation. 

Celtic had a week to remember. a 6-0 Loss and a 6-0 win. (does that mean Atletico Madrid would beat Aberdeen 12-0, or is it squared, 36-0?). Comparing the two games is like comparing Scarlett Johansson to Roseanne Barr. Same parts, but put together oh so very differently.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:41 PM, SirFozzie said:

New Premier League Champion! Newcastle finally dethroned.

Belated Congratulations to AFC Bournemouth becoming the 356th True and Accurate Champions of English Football, holding the belt for third time. They have only once defended the belt in the past.

Guessing there's gonna be some rather severe discipline headed Corinthians' way.

Notable:  The room these team officials(!) were trying to attack was just where the VAR equipment was.  The VAR officials were 1000+ km away in Rio.

Colombia's hosting Brazil in a '26 qualifier, and if you have been following the Luis Diaz saga... there's a very nice ending to this story, as his father was recently released by his kidnappers and LD has scored twice in four minutes!  

EDIT -- Full time from Barranquilla!   Colombia 2, Brazil 1!

Holy shit. Mexico has hit a possible new low, losing to Honduras 2-0 in the first leg of the CONCACAF Nations League Quarterfinals. With the Away Goals rule, they'll have to score at least 3 to win it outright (there is extra time and away goals). If they got bounced in the Nations League QF, they risk missing out on Copa America (they would have one more shot in a single game), and Mexico might actually burn down.

• Like 1