DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

The all electron beam Frontier is serving me well and is pretty mean in a dogfight, but she's only got a travel range of about 16 LY.  It will probably be cheaper to mod Class B & C ships that I earn through quests than it will be to keep refitting and modifying the Frontier.

Edited by J.T.

So it looks like the preplaced items that go into your Cargo Hold after you mod a ship will be replaced with dupes.  I put some foot items in the galley to make it look not so empty and when I returned from the TA kiosk, all of the missing decorations in the Frontier hab had returned and my items were on the floor.

I knew they were dupes because I was wearing the Chunks baseball cap that used to hang on the hook near the hot rack.

Edited by J.T.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

It will probably be cheaper to mod Class B & C ships that I earn through quests than it will be to keep refitting and modifying the Frontier.

Speaking of Class B & C ships - I guess Sam's maxed-out Piloting skill is just there for flavour? Even with him on my crew and my companion, I can't seem to make a higher-class ship my home ship.

Apparently it is a bad thing to try to blow up the ship of the Extended Warranty Salesman.

Also had a good laugh on Kreet.  Finally surveyed it 100%.  Got jumped by Ecliptic mercs trying to collect the bounty on my head who were in turn attacked by a Terrormorph that tore them to shreds.  They did manage to wound it before they all died.

Terrormorphs must the Giants of Starfield.  I was higher level than the beast but it still nearly tore me a new butthole and almost scrapped Vasco.  If it hadn't been softened up by the Ecliptic mercs, it would have killed us both.

Vasco and I managed to bring it down but it only had 3/4th health.  i think if it had been at full strength, we'd have gotten our asses kicked.

Edited by J.T.

The UC Security Uniform gives +5 Intimidation.  I figured there had to be clothing that gave a buff to Persuasion.

Remember on your next playthroughs that during the Back to Vectara mission, you don't need power cells to get the Argos Extractors computer up and running if you have Security.  You will get a special action that allows you to pull the HDD storage unit and download the info to a slate.

Speaking of that mission, I had ever intention of going ahead with the Sam Coe mission after I rescued Barrett but once I got Lin and Heller on my team, it was time to try my hand at Outpost Construction.  I am easily distracted by shiny objects.

I thought about giving Heller's Cutter back to Heller and then I came to my senses.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Remember on your next playthroughs that during the Back to Vectara mission, you don't need power cells to get the Argos Extractors computer up and running if you have Security. 

Even if you don't have Security, you only need three, and there's way more than three lying around the area.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I thought about giving Heller's Cutter back to Heller and then I came to my senses.

I gave it back to him. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

I mean, my current character did. My first character totally fenced it.

30 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Even if you don't have Security, you only need three, and there's way more than three lying around the area.

There are at least five or six, but I am lazy.

Also the minerals in the mine do not count towards survey data and there is like zero Argon in the area around the Argos mine.

I actually had to get back into the Frontier, go back into orbit, scan for Argon, and then land planetside to complete the survey.

As opposed to the moon where Matsura is holding Barrett hostage.  There are only two resources to search for and there is He3 and a mineral deposit right behind the LZ.

30 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I mean, my current character did. My first character totally fenced it.

The Disassembler trait makes it a really good robot / turret killer even for a Blue..

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, this game reminds me of why I love and hate the Borderlands weapon system.  I'm at the point now where shitty white weapons pack far more punch than the purples and golds I've made my favorites.  Time to ditch the old gun load-out and build a new one, but at least I earn cheap XP modding the shit out of everything.

Oh and I almost forgot.  I fucking loved how the Coe Heritage Museum caretaker talks out of both sides of her mouth.  One minute she's all IF YOU CAN RETRIEVE THE COE FAMILY DOCUMENTS FOR ME I'D BE SO GRATEFUL~! and the next she's like FUCK THE UC, THAT FUCKING TREE BRANCH CAN STAY IN THE SAFE FOR ALL I CARE~!  I'M NOT HELPING YOU~!

Edited by J.T.

More side missions. Delivered some medicine to the Waggoner farm. Did some surveying on that planet too. Did some more corporate shenanigans for Ryujin. Met Headlock and talked him out of leaning on the Emporium. 

I was rescuing a hostage on a ship and in the middle of the fight, Sarah decided she needed to talk to me. I tried to Flirt and got the “not right now” message. Art imitates life.

Was having weird audio issues with my headset so I gave up playing after dinner. Need to work on podcast anyway. 

I’ve only sold duplicate books so far. Up to level 13. Added whichever skill increase your carry capacity weight. Between my Persuasion level and using Velocity or Hypolita, passing most of my persuade checks. 

Spoiler

I'm level 27 now, and pretty deep in the questline where you work as an agent infiltrating the crimson fleet. My Space Scoundrel skillset is honestly a perfect fit for Secret Agent Man.

There's so much to do in this game it's just stupid. I get how if you wanted a more NMS kind of planetary exploration this game might not be your jam, but I'm really enjoying just doing the absolute mountain of quests. I also built myself a Class B ship, though I ran into an error it took me forever to figure out the problem was that the boarding area needs to be underneath so the ladder attaches to the ship properly lol.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve only sold duplicate books so far. Up to level 13. Added whichever skill increase your carry capacity weight. Between my Persuasion level and using Velocity or Hypolita, passing most of my persuade checks. 

You're going to wind up being addicted to Persuasion buffs sooner or later.

So I upgraded the shield system on the Frontier from the 20S to the 30S and life is a little better.  I loose travel range with a higher model so I think that is the upper limit.  

I can beat 3 Class A ships as long as they are not that much higher level than I am and if I remember the dogfight basics (ie. use maneuver thrusters to make tighter turns, boost away when enemy missiles lock or when shields are about to fail and give them time to regen, click RS to initiate hull damage repair while in combat).  

I just have to remember to replenish my supply of ship parts on the regular so I am not paying the fucking 1000 creds maintainence fee at the shipyards.

I haven't looked at engine upgrades, but the reactor upgrade buffs my hull a bit at the expense of my travel range.

I also gave Sara an Orion laser rifle I modded.  Wanted to give her a laser pistol upgrade, but don't think that companions ever drop the shitty default weapon they use.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I just have to remember to replenish my supply of ship parts on the regular so I am not paying the fucking 1000 creds maintainence fee at the shipyards.

Ship Parts cost more than a thousand creds each, though. You'll want them so you can, you know, survive, but for healing between fights paying the fee at the shipyard is a better deal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Ship Parts cost more than a thousand creds each, though. You'll want them so you can, you know, survive, but for healing between fights paying the fee at the shipyard is a better deal.

I'm not really hurting for creds.  I survey all of the planets in a system after I've done the fetchit mission associated with it.  There are a bunch of planets to check out in the Piazzi system after you finish chasing out the Spacers and help the List homesteaders get organized.

I am easily distracted and answered Lopez's distress signal rather than ignore it and investigate Piazzi I to see if Andreja was there.  During the side gig, it was nice to see that my refitted Frontier was able to solo three Class A spacer ships even if it took a bit of a beating.

After the surveys are complete, I sell the data to Vlad at the Eye. 

I'm always looking for economy, but it is more important to me if I am able to stay out in the starfield for as long as I can.  Making repairs while I am adventuring > going to drydock.

Edited by J.T.

So apparently my Ronin is like Riddick.  Thanks to being Wanted, the reward is increasing to the point where rival bounty hunting groups are fighting each other for the privilege of killing me for the creds. 

I wonder who I have to kill to get this payday off my head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

So I upgraded the shield system on the Frontier from the 20S to the 30S and life is a little better.  I loose travel range with a higher model so I think that is the upper limit.  

I can beat 3 Class A ships as long as they are not that much higher level than I am and if I remember the dogfight basics (ie. use maneuver thrusters to make tighter turns, boost away when enemy missiles lock or when shields are about to fail and give them time to regen, click RS to initiate hull damage repair while in combat).  

I haven't looked at engine upgrades, but the reactor upgrade buffs my hull a bit at the expense of my travel range.

I also gave Sara an Orion laser rifle I modded.  Wanted to give her a laser pistol upgrade, but don't think that companions ever drop the shitty default weapon they use.

So yeah, upping your engines will up your mobility, which will vastly improve your maneuvering.  I've found that staying north of 90 is the sweet spot so that you can turn with most stuff (if you keep your throttle in the middle of the optimal range) but you also might need to drop your throttle for tighter turns.  Down side is you have to pay attention to your power draw on the engines, as you have a cap on how much power the engines can draw.  There's a small aside that some landing gear also have standard thrusters built in and will give you a bit of a bump in that department.  

I started the Crimson Fleet line and finally put shield cargo holds on my Eagle and added a jammer.  Then I read up how to use it and smuggling is a nightmare.

41 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So yeah, upping your engines will up your mobility, which will vastly improve your maneuvering.

The available engine upgrades don't bump my stats.  The maneuver stat for my modded frontier is 100 with the engines I've got and that's good enough for dogfights with other Class As.

When I am in combat, I don't go with engines fully spun up anyways.  I bring the draw down to 60% and bleed the remaining juice into the four mounted electron beam cannons.  Using one weapon system instead of three or four is much simpler and the guns I've installed wreck both shields and ship hulls.

When I am taking evasive maneuvers or circling around to enemy ships to target their aft, I go with throttle up and cheat turns with the lateral thrusters.  Then I reel in the engines to the sweet spot when I level out and start shooting.

I think my modded Frontier is about as optimized as it will get.  If I want more performance across the board, I'll either have to move to a Class B or spend a shit ton of creds to build a totally customized Class A from scratch..  Right now, I've got more important things to spend money on.

Edited by J.T.