DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Speaking of things you learned, sleeping gets you an XP bonus for like 30 minutes 

More evidence you have never played any Bethesda RPGs.   In Elder Scrolls and Fallout, Resting gives you either a bonus towards XP and / or Skill raises for 8 game hours or you recover Health after sleeping.  It is a good practice to try to sleep at least one hour per game day in order to maintain the bonus. 

I always thought it was weird that it doesn't matter how long you sleep, only that you sleep.  Anyone who averaged one hour of sleep a day in real life would probably die in a little over a fucking week.

Some conditions nullify the Rested bonus in Fallout and Skyrim, so I would not be surprised if that mechanism was also built into Starfield. I know you cannot benefit from it in Skyrim if you are a werewolf.

It won't be too long before some mod asshole creates a Survival add-on for Starfield that will require you to sleep in order to level up and penalize your stamina / oxygen if you don't eat, drink, and sleep regularly. 

Edited by J.T.

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You can also increase the bonus once you are in a relationship - it jumps from 10% to 15%

The reason why Skyrim players try to get married as soon as they can and why they hate Fallout 3 because instead of a spouse that helps you min / max the experience bonus, you get a dog.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I’m also glad I realized you can apply health packs by pressing down on the D pad instead of going into the menu after 2 minutes. 

I assume you know you can do the same with weapons if you favorite them as well.

I am dumb.  I was so busy lasing the shit out of minerals that I forgot to scan them for the planetary survey.  Then I had to scan a million fucking dust roots just to get one profile for one fucking flora biome.  I'll have to chase down a million goddamned trilobites.  Not my idea of fun but my OCD compels me.

Obviously not done on Kreet as there is an abandoned robotics facility occupied by pirates that would easily kick the shit out of me at lowbie level.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I am dumb.  I was so busy lasing the shit out of minerals that I forgot to scan then for the planetary survey.  Then I had to scan a million fucking dust roots just to get one profile for one fucking flora biome.  I'll have to chase down a million goddamned trilobites.  Not my idea of fun but my OCD compels me.

Obviously not done on Kreet as there is an abandoned robotics facility occupied by pirates that would easily kick the shit out of me at lowbie level.

I don't even want to admit the amount of time I've spent wandering around random planets looking for one more little beetle looking thing.

I am certain that Bethesda designed the digipick system just to infuriate me.  RNG lockpicking minigames are bullshit.   Give me the TES Oblivion system where I could actually control shit myself.

Vasco's willingness to open fire near containers clearly marked as either flammable or radioactive is beginning to make me very nervous.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Bring Back Mass Effect hacking mini games 

No.

As much as the Digipick system angers me, I have succeeded in picking five locks and have unlocked Security 2 and I have also looted enough containers for Scavenging 2.  

I was thrilled that my paranoia had compelled me to take a hard save before I chose Piloting as my Level 2 skill, so I lost 10 minutes of gameplay reverting back and going with Security.  No blood, no foul.

I will probably invest in Piloting, Theft, and Persuasion, and either Ballistics or Lasers before I roll with any Physical skills, so I will be the galaxy's worst space ninja for a bit.  I am still managing to shiv dudes from the side while they focus on Vasco but it ain't getting any easier.  I gotta work for those kills.

If I was playing a class where Ballistics, Lasers, or Pistol Certification was a started, I'd probably be Rank 2 in either of those skills by now.

Edited by J.T.

I've actually found digipicks pretty easy. There is a mod on Nexus that completely skips the minigame if it really bugs you though, to each their own.

My feelings on Starfield really haven't changed much from the first few hours. Is the game innovative? Absolutely not. Does it feel like a best of Bethesda, but in space? Absolutely. Am I having a good time? Absolutely.

RIP Brogan and Chief Xenobiology Scientist, Hayden Wynn.  That douchebag Wynn certainly got what was coming to him.

I also failed to talk him out of trying to commandeer the Frontier and the first boss firefight of my Ronin career commenced.  I succeeded my first Persuasion check, but botched the rest.

Ran out of 6.77 for my Modded Maelstrom and did not have much Triple 7 for the Grendel, so I resorted to stalking and killing the last two guys CQC with my blue Rippershank.  Yeah, if Vasco is good for anything, it's suppression fire.  We're going to be buddies for a long time.

Now I can mine some mats, scan some bugs, and get the fuck off of this rock for now.

Oh, and totally I leapt over the balcony ninja style in hot pursuit of Brogan thinking that I would survive the fall because of the low gravity.  I WAS RIGHT~!  and then I felt stupid because I totally forgot that there was He3 to be looted near the comms array and I kinda need that shit for the grav drive.

So I went back upstairs.  Once enemies are dead, it is remarkable how fast you can retrace your steps. 

I think I popped three buffs during the fight to raise my DR for CQC engagements with the pirates.  I am surprised that Bethesda didn't do any mean Fallout shit in this game like having a chance to get addicted for using Amp or Heart+ too often and reducing the benefits from those buffs if are hooked on them.

I will probably have to come back to Kreet to kill the fucking alien kaiju mother fucker that murdered everyone at this outpost when I am Level 99 or something.  I love this fucking game.

Landed on New Atlantis, remembered my RPG 101, and started eavedropping on other people's conversations.   Now I have mini-quests to investigate a brown out and to sign up with the local security forces.

Edited by J.T.

Finished up the big UC/Terrormorph quest tonight. That ruled. For a side quest, it lasted a long ass time and was one of the best Bethesda RPG quests I’ve done.

BTW, it will take a long time to get there, but if you’re struggling for high quality ammo, and not just a bunch of caseless shells or 7.77 ammo, then do that UC quest because near the end you’ll get a mountain of good ammo for free.

After that, I decided to check and see if my Old Neighborhood quest was still bugged and yep, it’s still bugged so I still can’t proceed with the main story.

Got into the ship editor tonight and managed to take the default craft and expand it in a way that I went from like 400 cargo capacity to 1300 without fucking with any of the default weapons or shields (which, granted, I'd probably like to upgrade someday). Basically I made my ship a lot longer so it's a little goofy looking but for 3X storage I cannot complain. Adding an extra 2X1 all purpose unit, and hanging cargo containers underneath it. You need a better grav drive at that point and added extra engines off the new 2X1 so it's not a space whale. Only cost me about 20K or so, not that bad.

The locker in your room at the Lodge having infinite storage but not connecting to workbenches/traders like the ship's cargo hold has GOT to be one of the things going in the first patch, right?

44 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The locker in your room at the Lodge having infinite storage but not connecting to workbenches/traders like the ship's cargo hold has GOT to be one of the things going in the first patch, right?

Man I really hope so.

I have A LOT of credits right now but I really need to start remembering to buy ammo as I keep having to cycle through weapons that I actually have ammo for.

Granted - the Cutter mows down lower ranked people too.

I also haven't hired a single crew person yet (though I am unsure if that is necessary this early or not)

Bah.  No bookshelves at the Lodge for storing and displaying tomes.  I might be selling these notes off after all, but I am loathe to part with my copies of Dracula and Frankenstein.

I really do need to find a sword.

I am not fond of the game storing weapons in Hammerspace.  When I am wearing civvies, it would be nice to see my equipped firearm either slung over my back or in a holster and any swords or knives sheathed in an appropriate spot on my person. 

Rifles and Heavy Weapons are slotted on my pack when I wear a spacesuit, but other weapons appear out of ether when drawn,

Edited by J.T.