DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 1ST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

I mean PGH was the official abbreviation until the Post Office stop recognizing them so at least there is a reason as opposed to whatever god awful things the youth these days abbreviated cities too

• Like 1

Terry Francona did not manager last night's game going to the hospital to undergo precautionary tests after feeling poorly

Bench coach DeMarlo Hale managed the Guardians and said Francona told him 15 minutes before first pitch

Francona spent the night and Cleveland has provided no further details

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Domingo German has thrown a perfect game against the Athletics. 24th ever, first since Felix Hernandez in 2012.

1/6 of all perfect games have been thrown by the Yankees - Larsen, Cone, Wells, and German. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

German became the first pitcher to throw a perfect game after allowing 10+ runs in his previous start

He is also the 2nd pitcher to throw a perfect game after starting the game with an ERA north of 5.00. The other one... David Wells

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

1/6 of all perfect games have been thrown by the Yankees - Larsen, Cone, Wells, and German. 

The Yanks won the World Series the three other times it happened.

I think safe money is on that streak ending this time

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Yanks won the World Series the three other times it happened.

I think safe money is on that streak ending this time

That works for me. 

As someone regularly watching Royals games.. I'm not thrilled with the return. I think they moved because they didn't want to be left holding the bag if Chapman got hurt, which means they traded him for a guy who's on a 40 man roster and a 17 year old who has never played professional baseball outside of the Dominican Republic.

For a team that has lost a lot of games, they sure do love trying to aim for major league readiness in their trades. Like they think that getting a 25 year old for 3 months of Chapman is gonna move the needle much for this team in the near term.

And that was their best trade piece that got them a 25 year old on the 40 man and a 17 year old.

The rest: Barlow has declined a bit over the last two years, the rest of the relievers are mostly bad or below average, and they have a bunch of youngish position players that they wouldn't dare to trade. Also, Salvador Perez and Zack Greinke have no trade clauses and Jordan Lyles has as much value as Chernobyl tapwater.

This happens when you keep almost the entire front office that has been terrible for 5 years except for the GM.

here's the ASG rosters

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-all-star-pitchers-reserves-complete-rosters

AMERICAN LEAGUE STARTERS

C: Jonah Heim (TEX)
1B: Yandy Díaz (TB)
2B: Marcus Semien (TEX)
3B: Josh Jung (TEX)
SS: Corey Seager (TEX)
OF: Mike Trout (LAA)
OF: Randy Arozarena (TB)
OF: Aaron Judge (NYY)
DH: Shohei Ohtani (LAA)

NATIONAL LEAGUE STARTERS

C: Sean Murphy (ATL)
1B: Freddie Freeman (LAD)
2B: Luis Arraez (MIA)
3B: Nolan Arenado (STL)
SS: Orlando Arcia (ATL)
OF: Ronald Acuña Jr. (ATL)
OF: Mookie Betts (LAD)
OF: Corbin Carroll (AZ)
DH: J.D. Martinez (LAD)

Below are the pitchers and reserve players:

NL pitchers

Zac Gallen (AZ)
Spencer Strider (ATL)
Bryce Elder (ATL)
Justin Steele (CHC)
Mitch Keller (PIT)
Josiah Gray (WSH)
Clayton Kershaw (LAD)
Marcus Stroman (CHC)
Alexis Díaz (CIN)
Josh Hader (SD)
Devin Williams (MIL)
Camilo Doval (SF)

AL pitchers

Shohei Ohtani (LAA)
Gerrit Cole (NYY)
Luis Castillo (SEA)
Sonny Gray (MIN)
Nathan Eovaldi (TEX)
Kevin Gausman (TOR)
Shane McClanahan (TB)
Framber Valdez (HOU)
Michael Lorenzen (DET)
Kenley Jansen (BOS)
Emmanuel Clase (CLE)
Félix Bautista (BAL)
Yennier Cano (BAL)

NL reserves

Matt Olson (ATL)
Ozzie Albies (ATL)
Austin Riley (ATL)
Dansby Swanson (CHC)
Pete Alonso (NYM)
Will Smith (LAD)
Elias Díaz (COL)
Jorge Soler (MIA)
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (AZ)
Nick Castellanos (PHI)
Juan Soto (SD)

AL reserves

Salvador Perez (KC)
Adley Rutschman (BAL)
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (TOR)
Whit Merrifield (TOR)
Bo Bichette (TOR)
José Ramírez (CLE)
Brent Rooker (OAK)
Luis Robert Jr. (CWS)
Austin Hays (BAL)
Yordan Alvarez (HOU)
Adolis García (TEX)

Yankees announcer Michael Kay says Wilson Contreras was pulled from behind the plate earlier this year because he was calling for pitches that were not in the repertoire of the pitcher on the mound.  That's...bad.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/cardinals-removed-willson-contreras-catcher-reason/617076

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yankees announcer Michael Kay says Wilson Contreras was pulled from behind the plate earlier this year because he was calling for pitches that were not in the repertoire of the pitcher on the mound.  That's...bad.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/cardinals-removed-willson-contreras-catcher-reason/617076

Alright, gimmee the ol' spitball. . . no eephus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Whit Merrifield making the ASG in 2023 was getting dumped on by some people I read on Reddit

I wouldn't have put it beyond Dusty Baker to include Whit because he thought he was still on the Royals and that would be their rep

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I wouldn't have put it beyond Dusty Baker to include Whit because he thought he was still on the Royals and that would be their rep

for the record, the voting method includes a feature where if the fans and players vote for the same player, the players second place finisher also makes the ASG, which is why Whit Merrifield and Brent Rooker made the AL All-Star Team (Rooker finished 2nd in AL DH Player voting, 400 votes behind Ohtani)

But from what I can tell, Salvador Perez was a commissioners pick (while also being one of the best hitters on the Royals)

Edited by Cobra Commander

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

The Mets acquired reliever Trevor Gott from the Mariners. 

Or to put it another way: the Mets got Gott

That deal is cute because the Mets also got Chris Flexen who Seattle had just DFAed... and then promptly DFAed him themselves

Basically - they took on the salary to make it easier to get Gott

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

That deal is cute because the Mets also got Chris Flexen who Seattle had just DFAed... and then promptly DFAed him themselves

Basically - they took on the salary to make it easier to get Gott

I'm a little surprised by the Flexen part. He was servicable enough the past couple years, you'd think they would at least want to see if he can turn it around

DFAing Flexen would open the door to the Mets maybe acquiring a random part if some other team wants Flexen that bad? basically a delayed three way trade

now if Manfred wanted to meddle, then there could be a rules change about not being able to immediately DFA people you acquire, instead making teams wait for a day or something. But that's probably not something that happens so often that changes need to be made