DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Does she regularly go WALTER on people like this? Damn

Yes, Ibuki is known for her chops (check out page 21 on July 27 for Arisa Shinose's first taste of being chopped by Ibuki), but I think this is the first time in quite a while that she's left a visible handprint. It's pretty common to see wrestlers posting their damage after a match with Ibuki. When she wrestled Rina Yamashita earlier this year, it was a whole segment of their match where Rina tried to get away from Ibuki because she didn't want to be chopped.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, Ace said:

Speaking of Asukas, the other ASUKA has wrestled her last match under that name and will be VENY full time.

This is timely because on Natsu Sumire's 10th Anniversary Show on 10/18, one of the marquee matches will be VENY vs. Utami Hayashishita. Yeah, I have no problem with this.

• Like 2

German wrestler Baby Allison is in Japan to train at and wrestle with Ice Ribbon. Her first announced match is September 17 at Narimasu Act Hall, teaming with YuuRI against AKARI and Dark Silueta. I say announced because there's a dojo show on September 16 with a to be announced lineup, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her on that one either.

There's also the first (announced) singles matches for two of the Challengers on that show, with Yuuki Minami getting Tsukina Umino, and Asuka Fujitaki going up against Totoro Satsuki. Arisa Shinose has Saran in the opener. The semifinal is Misa Kagura and HisokA against Hikari Shimizu and Kaho Matsushita, so I'd be on the lookout here for something to set up a potential Sumika Yanagawa and Misa Kagura International Ribbon defense against Hikari and Kaho in future.

Main event should be a bunch of fun because it's Ibuki and Hamuko Hoshi against Hikari Minami and Makoto. Hard to know what direction they'll take with that one but Ibuki doesn't have a first challenger lined up yet, and really either Hikari or Makoto would be a good option. I'd lean towards Makoto as Hikari continues to find her ring legs, especially since Hikari has only had one singles match since her return.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Monday Morning said:

Dream Tag was a fun show, felt like a bit of a throwback with the costume switch and the odd (mostly old) partnerships.

Probably never be a draft again but I do wonder if the roster could do with a bit of a bigger shakeup. I know some folk had been asking for OT or QQ to disband in the buildup to the cage match.

Maybe it's been cause she's been losing a lot (and I mean a lot cause I don't remember the last meaningful match she won), but you never seen someone so jazzed to tag with someone else than Starlight Kid wanting to tag with AZM. I mean the feeling was mutual since they have a history with each other and probably are best friends IRL, but you couldn't remove the grin from SLK's face. She was on cloud nine. You cannot tease us with this feel good moment of the year and then NOT have this pair win the Goddesses of Stardom belts.

Unintentionally funny moment of the night goes to Utami almost drowning Suzu with alcohol, Suzu projectile spitting it out IMMEDIATELY, and in turn causing Utami to corpse. Maybe Maika was right, and that stuff tastes terrible.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe it's been cause she's been losing a lot (and I mean a lot cause I don't remember the last meaningful match she won), but you never seen someone so jazzed to tag with someone else than Starlight Kid wanting to tag with AZM. I mean the feeling was mutual since they have a history with each other and probably are best friends IRL, but you couldn't remove the grin from SLK's face. She was on cloud nine. You cannot tease us with this feel good moment of the year and then NOT have this pair win the Goddesses of Stardom belts.

You can always see the love Kid has for AZM. Every time she talks about AZM, you get the feeling Kid has every intention of dragging AZM to the top with her despite AZM being fine as the Liger of the High Speed division.

As much as I enjoy them in their respective units I have to admit I do hope they eventually leave them to form and lead a new group together.

• Like 2

Hanan trying to emulate Mariah, but instead going full Natsu Sumire with a bronco buster sure was something.

At least 3 teams were made for the tag league.

Spoiler

MIRAI and Mai Sakurai
Prominence (Risa Sera & Hiragi Kurumi)
Giulia & Suzu Suzuki

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ace said:

Hanan trying to emulate Mariah, but instead going full Natsu Sumire with a bronco buster sure was something.

At least 3 teams were made for the tag league.

Reveal hidden contents

MIRAI and Mai Sakurai
Prominence (Risa Sera & Hiragi Kurumi)
Giulia & Suzu Suzuki

The 3rd one of these appears not correct as they announced all the teams. Think it was more of a 'please in future' deal

Spoiler

A Block

Giulia/Thekla

Syuri/Saki Kashima

Hazuki/Koguma

Suzu Suzuki/Mei Seira

Mina Shirakawa/Waka Tsukiyama

Risa Sera/Kurumi Hiiragi

Natsuko Tora/Starlight Kid

Utami Hayashishita/Lady C

B Block

Maika/Megan Bayne

Mayu Iwatani/Hanan

Saya Lida/Hanako

Mirai/Mai Sakurai

Tam Nakano/Natsupoi

AZM/Miyu Amasaki

Momo Watanabe/Ruaka

Ami Sohrei/Yuna Mizumori

This won't help with the speculation over Mariah May's future. Then again the actual tag champs aren't here with Anou nowhere to be seen, so who knows what/if it means anything.

Edited by Mr. Monday Morning

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

That is a somewhat disappointing lineup considering the lack of regular teams and build from the tag festival. 

I was going to say the exact same thing.

I know Kamitani's injuries caused this particularly pairing, but Utami and LADY C? Uh..what? We couldn't put AZM with Utami and Lady C with Miyu Amasaki and get one strong team out of the mix? Do you have to telegraph who is going to be doing the jobs?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I know Kamitani's injuries caused this particularly pairing, but Utami and LADY C? Uh..what? We couldn't put AZM with Utami and Lady C with Miyu Amasaki and get one strong team out of the mix? Do you have to telegraph who is going to be doing the jobs?

In the case of QQ 02Line was probably always a scheduled team since its one of the few real ones in the league, and there is a non zero chance they are New Blood tag champs by the time the league starts. Still feels like they should have given us AZM/Utmai instead. They are the better team and are about to challenge for the Goddess belts. 

This is some of Rossy's strangest booking in awhile. He really has not given a shit about the tag division this year.

• Thanks 1

At this point, even though she already has a title shot, I'd say to have Tora win.

Also, Sukeban (the joshi fed premiering in NY tonight) is going to be broadcast on Tiktok.

Edited by Ace

On 9/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ace said:

At this point, even though she already has a title shot, I'd say to have Tora win.

Also, Sukeban (the joshi fed premiering in NY tonight) is going to be broadcast on Tiktok.

I wish I was a fly on the wall when the Sukeban braintrust was meeting and the conversation turned to, "...okay that's great and all, but you know I think we have something here with Tomoka Inaba dressed in a half latex onesie with a cat mask on..."

Spoiler

And apparently, she was one of the hits of the pilot show.