DVDVR Message Board

I HEREBY DECLARE TODAY "PILEDRIVER DAY~!"

J.T.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:24 PM, PetrolCB said:

Bret had a great piledriver...

tumblr-f0deaed825b752b40d4ddcde9b5b16ac-

That was his pre-Sharpshooter finish actually. He got chastised for it when he used it during his brief pre-Foundation singles run though as it was Orndorff's finish at the time.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

That was his pre-Sharpshooter finish actually. He got chastised for it when he used it during his brief pre-Foundation singles run though as it was Orndorff's finish at the time.

Yeah, at least later on (in '88, post WM4) I remember him finishing a match against Dangerous Danny Davis with a piledriver on Superstars of Wrestling.

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, at least later on (in '88, post WM4) I remember him finishing a match against Dangerous Danny Davis with a piledriver on Superstars of Wrestling.

I remember him using it during his post WM4 face turn as well. I guess Orndorff was gone at that point (dead or running a bowling alley in Georgia depending on what rumor you heard at the time) so it was ok for him to use it as a finish again.

• Haha 2

Just now, cwoy2j said:

I remember him using it during his post WM4 face turn as well. I guess Orndorff was gone at that point (dead or running a bowling alley in Georgia depending on what rumor you heard at the time) so it was ok for him to use it as a finish again.

Yes, this was right after they fired Jimmy Hart as their manager. If I remember correctly, it was during a singles match between Bret and Jerry Allen, when Anvil came down to ringside and yelled at Hart that he's fired and made him leave. It is possible that Bret won that match with a piledriver as well, but I only recall the Anvil part and that Allen kicked out at two after a backbreaker.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rikishi Driver was awesome because it looked great and due to Rikishi's massive gams the person taking the move's head never came within like 6 inches of the canvas.

Thick thighs do, in fact, save lives.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The Rikishi Driver was awesome because it looked great and due to Rikishi's massive gams the person taking the move's head never came within like 6 inches of the canvas.

Thick thighs do, in fact, save lives.

It was like the perfect finisher. He always did a dandy job of protecting everyone on the business end of it, and it's not like anyone ever said the 400-pound dude's SIT-OUT PILEDRIVER didn't look nasty enough.

• Like 1