DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Really that's the only thing that keeps him as a relevant fighter. If Jake Shields didn't have pretty good jiu-jitsu, he would have never made it past the IFC stage. His game was good to submit a certain level of guys prior to finally getting into the UFC, but it's not like he had to wildly change his style. He probably should have, but he is stuck in his ways now. Coming into the UFC, I would expect it wouldn't be as easy to submit (or knock out) everyone. You have to assume that going in. If a true prospect is making 10k to show and 10k to win, he probably is finishing more than he isn't because the opponents are on his level or usually lower. Someone like Shields was fighting guys way up the pay scale and much tougher in the UFC. If both Shields and Brian Foster were still in the UFC, Foster would be opening up the FS1 prelims and Shields would be on the main card.

Shields BJJ isn't all that great when it comes to MMA considering he went five years without getting a submission.  

Unfortunately, you have it incorrect.

BJJ just isn't just about getting submissions.

Him not getting submitted and being able to dominate by keeping top position, if anything, indicates his BJJ skills are good.

His skills are "good" and were good enough to make him a contender, but at the end of the day, it didn't take him that far past that level.  He became a guy no one wanted to watch in the UFC after his fight with GSP.  He barely even got past Martin Kampann in his UFC debut.  

Yes, but that doesn't mean his Jiu-Jitsu skills aren't good.

Shields submission defense and ground control are superb.

Sure it's not entertaining, but it is really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the GLORY show and it was pretty cool.  I was surprised at the turnout.  Only got to see the main card with Holzkin-Daniels being the best fight.  Also got to meet Mauro and Quadros afterward and that was great.  

Imagine what they could do if they manage to book a venue more than a month out.

Anyway, I wish they could've put the tournament final as the main like they've done several times before. Even if the main event wasn't anticlimactic as it turned out to be, it was clear the WW final was going to be the more exciting fight by a wide margin.

Don't expect Anthony Njokuani back in the UFC anytime soon. He beat up late replacement Dave Burrow for 2 rounds and arguably had 10-8 rounds in his favor. He was on the verge of finishing him 3-4 times. Then in the third, he gave up his back and got tapped with an armbar. Just ghastly fight IQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Friday will be hectic in terms of events, this thread is for Invicta and Legacy. The British Invasion show has its own thread so discuss it there. Just letting you know if you already didn't know before. :)

And of course everyone can forget Cyborg is fighting on the Invicta card and pay attention to the potential FOTY candidate on the same card between Grasso and Mizuki.

Is it just me or does it seem like it's too early for these two to fight at this stage of their careers? Grasso seems to be developing at a ridiculously fast rate and could be a champion in no time. Inoue is only 20 and coming off of a loss but has such incredible hands and footwork that she could be a real threat for a long time. In my mind, if these two continue to improve and round out their games, they could be fixtures at the top of the UFC strawweight division for the next 10 years+.

Is it just me or does it seem like it's too early for these two to fight at this stage of their careers? Grasso seems to be developing at a ridiculously fast rate and could be a champion in no time. Inoue is only 20 and coming off of a loss but has such incredible hands and footwork that she could be a real threat for a long time. In my mind, if these two continue to improve and round out their games, they could be fixtures at the top of the UFC strawweight division for the next 10 years+.

Not really. All that is possible but two things here:

1. You can't really plan that stuff out 3-4 years in advance and then work from there. Nothing is guaranteed in the combat sports landscape. You can only really work with you have, which is what brings me to my next point.

2. Invicta needs all the help it can get. Beggars can't be choosers, so on and so forth. If this is possibly the best matchup you can make, why not make it? Let the UFC worry about that. I think this is the direction Invicta needs to go because it's not like they have assets on deck. The prospect game in female MMA is very shallow, but there are ways to make a good thing out of a bad thing. I mean Kalindra Faria vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz probably should've been made in the UFC, but that doesn't mean KSW should not pull the trigger on that. Just because Faria lost doesn't mean she won't ever be in the UFC. In addition, the UFC can feel better knowing they can invest in Karolina Kowalkiewicz down the road if and when they sign her. This is how "feeder" leagues should operate ESPECIALLY when they are not official developmental organizations. We can't forget that the general purpose of those companies is to try to generate a profit.