DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The Usman guy from Blackzilians also beat the crap out of WEC vet Marcus Hicks. He looked pretty well rounded and big for l

ightweight. Just needs to keep his back off the cage.

That fight was at 170, and Marcus Hicks is like 40.

All I know Usman whooped his ass and he's going be in the UFC sooner rather than later.

I know next to nothing about Bubba Jenkins and Poppies Martinez, but the fact that two such awesome names are facing off has me more interested in the next Bellator than anything else on the card.

Bubba Jenkins is a former NCAA D1 wrestling champ who American Top Team is paying to be a MMA fighter. He has been alright so far but clearly his conditioning has been his problem. He lost to LaRue Burley just by sheer attrition. He got tired and then came apart at the seams. Still someone you gotta look out for, but I hope MMA fans temper their expectations.

Meanwhile, Poppies is the most popular fighter from the Tachi Palace. Self-explanatory.

Guest Edwin

Palomino headlining says volumes about the quality of fighters they have signed aside from the bigger names the UFC cut and they picked up.

Palomino headlining says volumes about the quality of fighters they have signed aside from the bigger names the UFC cut and they picked up.

I said this back in January in this very thread that Anthony Johnson is really the only interesting piece WSOF had. You could throw old, shot established fighters against him so he could wreck them. Now that he's gone, you only have a few talented young guys, Okami with no one noteworthy to fight (BTW he's fighting Dave Branch on 10/24), Palhares, two top guys who aren't that exciting (Fitch and Shields), and Jessica Aguilar with no one noteworthy to fight. That sounds like company that should be on AXS TV and not one that should have periodic shows on NBC. There matchmaking is hurt by the fact they have no flexibility.

He is included in that young talented fighter group with Gaethje, Palmer, and Rick Glenn, who took Karakhanyan's spot. Palmer might be good fighter down the line. Who are they going put against them to get folks watching? Gaethje vs. Guillard? Really? That's the best main event you have at LW? For the last several months, it feels like they're putting on shows just because NBC/NBCSN said they have to put on shows.

I think Fight Master was a done deal before they moved his fight with Mike Bronzoulis. If they didn't have any plans for him when Bjorn was around, I doubt he would stick around when Coker came onboard even though Riggs fought in Strikeforce. They started unloading people when Coker got there.

That reminds me of the infamous "I was waiting for him (Misaki) to stop punching" excuse from Riggs. Pound-4-pound greatest excuse ever.

Well winning Fight Master was supposed to give him a shot in their welterweight tournament.  But Fight Master failed, and tournaments are gone.  Just seems odd that Bellator didn't sign the guy who won their reality show.  Reinforces to me that Bellator was a poorly run organization.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone watching Invicta 8?

Jodie Esquibel/Jin Yu Frey, Alexa Grasso/Ashley Cummins and the last 3 were fun fights.

Michelle Waterson put an unhealthy amount of punishment on Yasuko Tamada with brutal knees and kicks. Tamada showed a ton of heart as she just kept coming forward and never quit. The ref. however had enough and stopped it.

Also Katja Kankaanpaa pulled out an Anaconda/D'arc/Guillotine choke type move they called a Dragon Sleep Choke.

Roxanne Modaferri/Tara LaRosa III was not a good fight.

Always love the Invicta fights.

Thought Jinh Yu Frey should've won the decision over Esquibel. Grasso/Cummins was good. Aldana looked dominant against Peggy Morgan as did DeAnna Bennett against Michelle Ould. Very surprised to see Charmaine Tweet TKO Veronica Rothenhausler. All pretty good fights there though.

Agreed on Roxanna/LaRosa even though they were trying to push it as something really good. Was surprised to see Roxanne win after being on her 6 fight losing streak. Was amused at her being asked about wanting to be champion after her first win in 4 years.

Thought Tonya Evinger looked awesome in her win, did not expect her to win but certainly didn't expect a 1st round sub over Ediane Gomes. Very impressive and I hope she continues. Katja/Eggink was likely fight of the night. Heartbreaking loss for Eggink as she looked like the for sure winner only to get caught in the final round, was really pulling for her to win it and become the champ. She was real impressive throughout especially in the 4th round where she was on the verge of victory. Crazy finish, I liked it announced as the dragon sleeper.

Michelle Waterson looked her best yet, the long layoff between fights had no effect. She came off like an underdog pulling out victories in her last few fights but here she was totally dominant all the way through. Awesome performance from the champ there. Overall another very enjoyable show. Looking forward to the next as there's supposed to not be such a long wait in between shows.

Roxy-Tara was just awesome. Loved LaRosa singing "American Pie" and then she and Roxy dancing to it put a big smile on my face. Roxy looked excellent here - hopefully she can keep showing this kind of skill and get back into the UFC. Evinger-Gomes won the war for best walkout music. The legbar battle was right out of a Kurt Angle match.

Roxy-Tara was just awesome. Loved LaRosa singing "American Pie" and then she and Roxy dancing to it put a big smile on my face. Roxy looked excellent here - hopefully she can keep showing this kind of skill and get back into the UFC.

That fight was horrible. Possibly the worse MMA fight I've seen all year.

Neither has absolutely no stand up technique whatsoever, yet they turned the fight into a kickboxing match, so you can imagine how horrible the fight actually was.

And lol @ Roxanne Modafferi getting back into the UFC. Unless you want to see the first death in the history of the UFC, I don't see why you would want to see her back there again.