DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, AXS TV Live Event Discussion Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani now

Knapp: Invicta will run in Vegas on July 10 before UFC 189 and Cyborg will headline. International Fight Week.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 8s

Knapp announces April 10 is their next event. Kankaanpaa vs. Souza for the 115 pound title.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 2m

Knapp also announces that Tiburcio vs. Hamasaki for the 105-pound title will be on the July 10 card.

Bonus winners: Grasso-Inoue - FOTN obviously and Performance of the Night bonuses going to Aldana and Cyborg

• Like 1

Gotdayum, that Mizuki/Grasso fight was fantastic and lived up to the hype. Grasso's sweep was so perfect and her use of submissions as a defence on the bottom was incredible (going for a kimura with an inverted flippin' triangle)! Mizuki just couldn't find her range and her lack of kicks was probably the difference in the stand-up. If she had kicks, she could probably set up her fists better and from there who knows. Something for her to work on going forward. Such a bright future for both but Grasso has such a complete game at only 21. She's the future.

• Like 1

Awesome performances from Alexa & Irene. Echoing the praise for Alexa/Mizuki, great fight. Alexa is on fire with her last three fights for sure. Cyborg's KO was brutal and just blasted Tweet. I like DeAnna Bennett a lot as well, good fights. Thought Jamie Moyle & Amy Montenegro looked pretty good on the prelims.

Cyborg would kill Ronda.

I'm sure a lot of people will say the opposite after Ronda beats Cat.

Nope, I still think Cyborg smashes her.  (I think maybe not at 135lb tho, I don't want to see a drained Cyborg.)

• 4 weeks later...

NBC sports will re-air WSOF 8, 15, and 6 tonight starting at 6:30 one right after another and since I have never seen any of them I will DVR them to watch later.

Don't worry. You ain't the only one.

• Like 1

Joe Warren lost in hilarious fashion so we all win. Plus, LC Davis had a fight of the year candidate with Hideo "Rocking Reversal in 2015" Tokoro prior to that. You can't expect much better from a lower to mid-tier Bellator card on a Friday night.

Pretty sure they tell fighters in a meeting with the referee that a scream counts as a verbal submission.

The commentators said several times that BIg John McCarthy always in his instructions says a scream counts as a verbal submission.

Joe Warren lost in hilarious fashion so we all win. Plus, LC Davis had a fight of the year candidate with Hideo "Rocking Reversal in 2015" Tokoro prior to that. You can't expect much better from a lower to mid-tier Bellator card on a Friday night.

Yeah Davis vs. Tokoro was a great fight and I hope they do a rematch at some point.

Guest Edwin

Pretty sure they tell fighters in a meeting with the referee that a scream counts as a verbal submission.

Considering it's something they should know as pro fighters, there's no need to continuously tell them.

Also had the ref not stepped in, there's a good chance that: a. He would've tapped out or b. Galvao would've broken his because it was a deep kneebar which Warren wasn't going to get out of.

Considering it's something they should know as pro fighters, there's no need to continuously tell them.

I mean that's a part of meeting the fighters prior to the fight. In boxing, the referee always alerts the fighters where the belt line is because it's different depending how much the waistline on the trunks obscure the midsection. However, you would think the fighters know where it is anyway and would know where a true low blow is. Instead, you still get plenty of boxers who pretend something landed low and try to find a way out. You have to tell them everytime because you have to assume they either don't know or someone might try evade the rules in place. It's a part of combat sports.

Matt Hamill pulled out of the Thiago Silva bout due to illness, which basically altered three fights. Silva is now facing Teddy Holder and Jake Heun will fight UFC vet Clifford Starks. Eddie Arizmendi, who is a fun regional fighter I remember from Rage in the Cage, is left without a fight but was paid his show and win money.

On the Legacy 41 card, 19 year old Brazilian prospect Ricardo Ramos just destroyed another undefeated prospect in Justin Rader with a knee and then showed amazing takedown defense/balance by hopping on one leg. Then, Ramos basically punched his lights out in just over 30 seconds. He may be someone to watch out for because he is mostly known for really good grappling. If he stays in Legacy and builds his game a little, he could be something fierce in the UFC.