Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor II (1/23/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)


Elsalvajeloco
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Just saw a tweet saying that Ribas weighed in at 116 yesterday and now weighs 143.3 according to her father. I think it was more than just the striking disparity that allowed Ribas to steamroll Dern. There was a huge athleticism gap too. She's pretty much the whole package and will give any fighter in that division a very tough time.

Dern has never been a fantastic wrestler though. She struggles to get girls who aren't Amanda Ribas to the ground. If she (Dern) can't run the pipe and get a basic single leg takedown, she has to pull guard basically and go from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is anyone willing to use the courage of their convictions to actually pick Poirier? It seems to me folks are kinda hedging their bets.

i don't do the pick events anymore, but i'm taking Poirier in this fight. I see him weathering the storm early, settling into a rhythm and edging out a close (but unanimous) decision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i don't do the pick events anymore, but i'm taking Poirier in this fight. I see him weathering the storm early, settling into a rhythm and edging out a close (but unanimous) decision.

If that were to happen, that would be McGregor's first fight to go to the judges that he wouldn't have won. I think the only notable person who has a longer streak is Alistair Overeem who hasn't had a decision loss since PRIDE 29 back in 2005 to Minotoro. Keep in mind, Overeem had double digits in the loss column since 2007. Fedor doesn't have any decision losses, but he also finished just about everyone back in the day.

So for a non-heavyweight or specifically anyone at 155 or below who isn't undefeated to have zero decision losses in a 10+ year career, that's wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conor hasn't really had a ten year career though. He might have started his career ten years ago, but he's had like three years off as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Conor hasn't really had a ten year career though. He might have started his career ten years ago, but he's had like three years off as well.

He's had 26 fights in 13 years. That's 2 fights a year which is good especially he's the highest paid person in the sport. As someone whose done these threads and noticing the trends of guys who I see often and guys I see every 18 months MAYBE for the last six or seven years, there are several fighters who would be lucky to average 0.5 fights a year at this point.

For example, Leo Santos has had 22 fights in 14.5 years BUT he has EIGHT fights (7-0-1) in seven and a half years in the UFC. The last time he fought twice in a year was 2015. There are about 3 or 4 guys like that I've noticed where if I didn't know better, I would believe the UFC forgot there was on the roster. He has a fight scheduled in March (fingers crossed) but I'm holding my breath that he's gonna fight soon again after that.

My point being that Conor has indeed had a long career and being someone who has competed in the smaller weight classes with some fights sprinkled in up at 170, you would think he would lost a decision at some point in his career. I thought in the Mendes fight, after round one, he was probably on his way to losing a decision. Then Mendes himself got tired and Conor just absolutely demolished him in the next round. The second fight with Nate was close (meaning on the scorecards), but I thought he was going to win that one. Against Khabib, I thought he looked like shit and wasn't surprised he got finished at the end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve put a few bucks on Connor TKO in rounds 2-3 at an online bookie, watching the build Connor looks lean and hungry which seems dangerous, particularly given he won’t have his Irish army behind him. I love Dustin but I don’t see how he wins this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to get this out of the way since this is a really big show:

PLEASE PLEASE* act like an adult tonight, don't troll anyone, and do not say something ridiculous that makes an admin step in and give you a week off or even worse. I want this thread to stay open. This is just to be on the safe side even though the last couple threads I can remember like this went pretty well. 

Anyway, have fun.

*James Brown reference not intended 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If that were to happen, that would be McGregor's first fight to go to the judges that he wouldn't have won. I think the only notable person who has a longer streak is Alistair Overeem who hasn't had a decision loss since PRIDE 29 back in 2005 to Minotoro. Keep in mind, Overeem had double digits in the loss column since 2007. Fedor doesn't have any decision losses, but he also finished just about everyone back in the day.

So for a non-heavyweight or specifically anyone at 155 or below who isn't undefeated to have zero decision losses in a 10+ year career, that's wild.

wow that is indeed wild, especially at lightweight and below. i didn't realize he had a streak like that running. still feeling like Poirier pulls out the victory.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's probably not a good sign Khalil Rountree just lost to a man who prior to this fight lost his last three fights via first round knockout. He looked good in the first two rounds especially the second round. He slowed down in round 3, but won the last minute or so of the round. Unfortunately, Prachnio was quietly landing more strikes than Rountree. I had Rountree winning just based on landed the more damaging blows, but he made it way too close. It ended up costing him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it felt like that last minute was step by step ideal way to get the choke, and she just kind of went with it. 

Ribas told Nunes to "stop ducking me." 

Nunes is at her watch party going "Guys, seriously guys, listen to me, I don't even know this woman."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is anyone willing to use the courage of their convictions to actually pick Poirier? It seems to me folks are kinda hedging their bets.

 

Fuck it, I'll pick Poirier.  It's kind of how I felt about the Aldo fight, Poirier has more tools than McGregor, he just has to have the opportunity to use them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah it felt like that last minute was step by step ideal way to get the choke, and she just kind of went with it. 

Ribas told Nunes to "stop ducking me." 

Nunes is at her watch party going "Guys, seriously guys, listen to me, I don't even know this woman."

You mean Julianna Pena. Amanda Ribas calling someone in the fashion Pena did would be hilarious. 

Anyway, I'm guessing Pena is probably the de facto number 1 contender at bantamweight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, twiztor said:

wow that is indeed wild, especially at lightweight and below. i didn't realize he had a streak like that running. still feeling like Poirier pulls out the victory.

Isn't that somewhat misleading?  That would make Conor 2-0 in fights that go the distance which isn't necessarily a big sample size.  Poirier also looks better and more durable at 155 than he did at 145.  I think not having to cut as much went a long way.  With that said, I felt Poirier was a good value bet but if Conor wins early via KO I wouldn't be surprised.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re-watching the Hooker/Poirer fight and I kept seeing Hooker land lefts on Dustin's face, so I'm not super keen on him tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You mean Julianna Pena. Amanda Ribas calling someone in the fashion Pena did would be hilarious. 

Anyway, I'm guessing Pena is probably the de facto number 1 contender at bantamweight.

Arigato. I have zero idea why I said Ribas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but is Carlos Junior his surname?  I'm asking, because it's weird that they are putting the suffix on his in-fight name plate.

 

1 minute ago, AA484 said:

Isn't that somewhat misleading?  That would make Conor 2-0 in fights that go the distance which isn't necessarily a big sample size.  Poirier also looks better and more durable at 155 than he did at 145.  I think not having to cut as much went a long way.  With that said, I felt Poirier was a good value bet but if Conor wins early via KO I wouldn't be surprised.

The real story is that he's only gone the distance twice while fighting great competition over the last 7 years.  Seriously, almost everyone goes to decision once they start fighting better competition.  

I agree that Poirier is a much different fighter at 155 than he was at 145.  He's more durable, and also seems to hit significantly harder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Isn't that somewhat misleading?  That would make Conor 2-0 in fights that go the distance which isn't necessarily a big sample size.  

Yeah two fights isn't much, but he's also fighting in divisions where it's even more than likely you won't have a crazy number of finishes.

Remember when IIRC Kenny Florian several years ago cut that promo about how he never goes to decision or something to that effect. He did indeed rarely go to decision at that point of his career, but he managed to have a split decision loss to Drew Fickett before he ever got on TUF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Re-watching the Hooker/Poirer fight and I kept seeing Hooker land lefts on Dustin's face, so I'm not super keen on him tonight. 

Arigato. I have zero idea why I said Ribas

Cause she's adorable?

giphy.gif

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember now, it's because I was reading that post about her weighing 143 while I was watching the Pena fight.

Yeah, I'd give anything for her to win, do that dance, while asking why someone was ducking her.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...