DVDVR Message Board

UFC 238: Cejudo vs. Moraes (6/8/2019) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Calderwood spent the final minute of round 3 making faces and taunting Chookagian. She lost on all three judges scorecards. Whoops.

Stupid that she did that but I thought Jo Jo won all three rounds.

Speaking of close women's fights, Xiaonan Yan takes a decision win over Angela Hill. Hill edged out round 1, Yan clearly took round 2, and round 3 could have went either way. I think Rogan oversold Hill's success with her piston like rights in the final round even she was clearly doing good work.

In the previous fight, Bevon Lewis dropped a decision to Darren Stewart. After that disappointing KO loss to Uriah Hall, Lewis should have came out and asserted himself. Instead, it just look like he was fighting down to level of his competition. He let Stewart chop him down with low kicks early on. He spent so much time trying to muscle Stewart around in the clinch that the only appreciable offense came from Stewart. Ironically, the best shot that came from Lewis was a big right hand as both were exchanging AFTER the bell/horn which hurt Stewart at the round 1. Instead of jumping on Stewart immediately, he allowed round 2 to be this blah round where neither guy did anything special. Stewart did just enough to win that round. When round 3 started, Lewis should been super aggressive because he was likely down two rounds. Instead, Stewart dictated the pace and Lewis looked tentative. You would be hard pressed to find a round to give to Lewis. 

Great fight, but Aljo was just too skilled at using his length.  Munhoz barely moved his head the entire fight and I thought his movements were fairly predictable.  Still, I felt the danger was there for him to steal a win up until the final bell.

• Like 1

That was so great while it lasted. Did the blowing of the nose come directly after the post-horn cheap shot? It looked like he had already been doing that prior to that though and I don't think it made too much of an already disastrous situation.

Ah, Tan Dan just said he blew it before and after.

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Up in time for Cerrone vs. Ferguson. Shame it's not a five rounder. 

Donald Cerrone's eye is a mess resulting in doctors stoppage. FUCK Tony Ferguson for the blatant punch after the second round bell.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's been a night of egregious post horn punches. First, Bevon Lewis doing it against Darren Stewart. Now, Ferguson against Cerrone. Too bad Cerrone couldn't go on because of the eye because that fight was bonkers.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Donald Cerrone's eye is a mess resulting in doctors stoppage. FUCK Tony Ferguson for the blatant punch after the second round bell.

Not able to watch this because my pc is outta commission. Was it blatant enough that it should have been a DQ? Is Ferguson doing a post-fight interview where he is saying fuck all that 'cause he's got the sauce?

No, Ferguson looked completely gutted and was actively trying to avoid being interviewed. He passed the mic to Cerrone so he could tell the crowd it wasn't the late punch that stopped the fight. Both of them + Rogan did their damnedest on damaged control to calm down the boo birds/people throwing shit at the Octagon.

• Like 1

Tony was somber, regretful on how the fight ended in his interview. Said he'd be fine with running it back.

It was blatant enough that there should've been a point deduction. And looking back, Ceronne's eye was swollen and looking to shut but nowhere near what happened following the big nose blow that they showed on replay. So, yeah, the cheap shot directly effected the stoppage.

This is what happens when you put one of the world's best fighters against an average fighter. Should never have happened. Disgusting. Jessica's ankles were fencing, not her arms. That is some soul shaking shit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is a joke. I get that it's a new division but these two don't belong in the same cage. 

TBH none of these girls at 125 belong in the cage with Valentina. Maybe Andrea Lee, but she is still levels below Valentina right now.