DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - WILDCARD / DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

Judge doing what he does. At least Stanton had good contact on that fly out. It's an improvement from last night. With Price and a taxed Boston bullpen, I feel pretty good about tonight. There's still the knot in my stomach, but it's not overwhelming.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's nothing more automatic than David Price choking in the playoffs. 

I got a good laugh when Brian Anderson, who is pretty unbiased as far as national announcers go, called Price one of the best pitchers of his generation.

They're not as good as the YES crews, but Anderson and Ron Darling aren't bad, especially compared to garbage like Joe Buck and John Smoltz.

That stupid fucking wall.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I hate the Green Monster.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

..and he's gone.   Well,  that was money well spent lol.  If I was Boston,  I'd seriously considering just trading him away and eating most of the contract. It's obvious at this point he will never accomplish anything of note when it matters. 

David Price for Jacoby Ellsbury straight up. Maybe pitching for the Yankees would help Price.

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jacoby has basically $47M left on that deal.  I'll never understand these contracts where you're paying a guy in his late 30's/early 40's insane amounts of money when you know he'll be a shell by that point. 

Robinson Cano's deal with Seattle will be really ugly in its last few years. It's already started with his suspension this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sox are going with Nathan Eovaldi as their started for Game 3

So add another former Marlin who is making their post-season debut

I feel pretty good with our A-team against Eovaldi. I don't think Brett Gardner is that big of a drop-off from Aaron Hicks. I prefer Gardy's denfense to Hicks. Hicks takes some weird routes to track the ball and sometimes it ends up over his head.

Eovaldi doesn't offer much besides a 100 mph fastball, which is far more common in MLB today than say 10 years ago. A major league hitter will be able to hit a 100 mph fastball over the plate without much movement.

I hated the Eovaldi trade when Brian Cashman acquired him prior to 2015. At least it ended up being a bust for both teams. We still have Domingo German from that trade. Maybe German will improve in Scranton next year, although I don't have high expectations for him. 

17 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Can someone explain to me why Darling has to apologize for "chink in the armor", but 38000 assholes can pretend to be First Nations and do a a tomahawk chop and a fake chant and no one cares?

Less guilt over offending Native Americans

Certainly not here, but inevitably someone would say something along the lines of, "It's just part of Braves culture, it's always been that way.".

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hated the Eovaldi trade when Brian Cashman acquired him prior to 2015. At least it ended up being a bust for both teams. We still have Domingo German from that trade. Maybe German will improve in Scranton next year, although I don't have high expectations for him. 

He went 14-3 in 2015 with a WAR over 3 (which was 2nd for Yanks pitchers that year)

His 2016 was mediocre at best but that turned out to be because of his injury

Prado was 4th in WAR for the Marlins in 2015 (Behind Dee Gordon, Stanton and Yelich)

He was 3rd in WAR in 2016 (Behind Yelich and Jose Fernandez) - including leading the team in hits and BA

Not sure how you think that is a bust for both teams.