DVDVR Message Board

My NXT project

Yo-Yo's Roomie

2014 year end awards.

Male wrestler of the year: I feel bad for Tyson Kidd because any other year he might have won this. Adrian Neville deserves a mention too. Both have done really good work this year. If I was doing separate heel and babyface awards, Kidd would definitely be my heel of the year. But the male wrestler of the year can only be Sami Zayn really. Not only has he been the most consistent in-ring over the year, with the most high end matches, and not only has he been one of the most enjoyable characters, cutting good promos an being consistent and believable, but his 2014 has been a great story, going from the people's favourite who always came up just short when it mattered, to redemption, and ending the year as NXT champion. I didn't go into this project with any emotional connection to Zayn, but I really brought into his journey watching it all unfold.

Female wrestler of the year: There are 3 candidates for this, the way I see it. Sasha came on strong late, finishing the year with the most entertaining character on the whole roster, and knocking it out of the park every single time she performed. Charlotte has the best resume of good matches (Vs Natalya, Vs Bayley x2, Vs Sasha x2), which is definitely to her credit, although I think she's been the lesser performer in each of those matches. The award, then, goes to Bayley. Over the course of the year, she's been the most consistent, the most popular and, through her character work has told the best story. It was close between these 3 though.

Character of the year: Once again, this is probably the hardest category to judge, because character work is such a focus of NXT. Up and down the card you can point to examples of guys who got over on character work alone, from Breeze to the Vaudevillains to Enzo to Sasha. For me though, the best character of the year has been Tyson Kidd: entitled douchebag. I can't tell you how fun it's been for me, as a Kidd fan, to see what a promotion looks like with him as the top heel. Great. It looks great.

Tag team of the year: Eh. Not a stellar year for the tag ranks again, although it's a step up from last year. I think it's between two teams. The Vaudevillains have one of my very favourite gimmicks, although I don't think they've really put it all together in the ring yet. The Lucha Dragons have consistently better matches, but aren't the most interesting. I'm gonna go with the Dragons, if only because they freed us from the Ascension reign of terror.

Non-wrestler of the year: William Regal. The best commentator in the history of NXT, by far. Underutilised as GM, but that's maybe for the best as this show really doesn't need an authority figure showing up multiple times a show. Shout-out to my girl Devin Taylor. Keep shooting for the moon, baby girl.

Match of the year: Sami Zayn Vs Cesaro from ArRival. Honourable mention to Sami/Neville from R Evolution.

Feud of the year: Definitely Zayn and Neville. I really loved this rivalry. Very nuanced, and constantly defied expectations.

Leo Kruger award: Konnor repeats. Transitioned from holding the tag division hostage for most of the year, to killing the momentum of Hideo Itami.

Show of the year: All the specials have been good, but I think R Evolution has to take this.

• Like 3

1/1/15

Alright, here we go. 2015.

The Lucha Dragons Vs Jason Jordan and Tye Dillinger: Non-title match, and a routine win for the champs. Dillinger and Jordan are going nowhere as a team. I need Chad Gable to show up. Pretty bad botch from Sin Cara in this one. He looks so awkward sometimes dong the flying stuff. He's not that big, but for some reason seems really heavy flying around, and not in a cool way. Maybe it's the way his weight is distributed, I don't know. The Vaudevillains attack and lay out the Dragons after the match. 

Blue Pants Vs Carmella: Enzo and Cass give Carmella the big introduction as the crowd chants for Blue Pants. Big pop for Blue Pants. Strange dynamic with the crowd loving Enzo and Cass so much, not liking Carmella at all, and being huge into Blue Pants. Carmella is dominating when Enzo inexplicably climbs on the apron to dance around. This distracts Carmella and Blue Pants gets the inside cradle for the win. Crowd loves this. I'm I mistaken or is Blue Pants's music Cass singing the Price Is Right theme? If so, that's awesome. Carmella is pissed as Enzo.

Baron Corbin Vs CJ Parker: Shitty backstage bit earlier with Bull Dempsey talking to CJ Parker about how he needs to take out Baron Corbin for the greater good or some shit. Having this be anything other than two hosses going at it to see who the baddest is is a misstep. Corbin wins this with ease as Bull watches on. Corbin gets on the mic and asks Bull if they're going to do this or not. He then pulls him over the barricade and the two start trading punches before refs step in. The crowd was into this, and Corbin is very over.

Devin interviews William Regal who says that Sami Zayn will return next week. Curtis Axel enters and asks Regal if he's going to give him a chance. Regal makes Axel Vs Itami for next week. Seems like a test for Itami, in the vain of "if you can't have a good match with Kid..."

Now Devin is in the ring, and introduces Charlotte. Charlotte says she's beaten every diva on NXT. The crowd chants for Blue Pants. Sasha's music hits and she and Becky come out. They are about to attack, but Natalya evens the odds, and the heels retreat. Alex Riley is way too excited about this potential tag team match.

Sami has sent in a video update. Don't see the point of this when you've just hyped that he will be back on NXT next week for an in person update. He says the only thing on his mind is Kevin Owens, and he'll address him in person next week.

Hideo Itami and Finn Balor Vs The Ascension: Second verse, same as the first. Riley is garbage during this. He completely buries Finn and particularly Itami, saying the latter is lucky to come out of R Evolution alive, and that they haven't achieved anything in their careers. Way to put your new stars over, idiot. The camerawork in this is also ass, with the shaky cam and constant cuts meant to show how out of control this is, but just being nauseating. Itami gets a big pop for teasing the GTS, but doesn't get to do it. Instead he uses some kind of spinning kick to win the match. Otherwise the crowd is way more into Finn. Hopefully that's it for the Ascension now.

Episode MVP: Pretty weak episode this week. I'll give it to Blue Pants.

1/8/15

The show opens with Sami Zayn coming out and soaking up the applause from the crowd. Big Ole chants. Sami says the title belongs to all the fans too. He talks a little bit about how R Evolution was the best night of his life, even though it didn't end the way he wanted it to. Adrian Neville comes out and offers his congratulations to Zayn. Zayn says that means a lot to him, and then says that Neville deserves a rematch. That brings out William Regal, and he makes the match for next week. I'm surprised they're going the rematch route here. I thought the apron powerbomb on Neville was to essentially write him off the show. Weird that he was only gone for a week, and wasn't really selling it at all. I'm guessing Owens gets involved in that title match last week. Also, they kind of teased a Zayn/Owens face-off tonight which they didn't deliver on.

Hideo Itami Vs Curtis Axel: I wondered if this might be kind of a test for Itami. Well, if it was, I wouldn't exactly say he passed it with flying colours. He still looks a little awkward in there and like he's struggling to come to terms with the style. He really needs to settle on a decent finisher too, because this spin kick thing he's doing now is pretty crap. Axel looked okay, but wasn't over at all.

There's a backstage interview with Tyson Kidd and Natalya. Kidd has a rematch with Finn Balor next week. Nattie mentions that she also has a big match next week. I assume that's the tag with Charlotte against Sasha and Becky. They bicker about who is a better cat parent. Tyson says they're more his cats because when they're sick he chews up their food in his mouth for them and spits it into their mouth like a bird. Seriously. He's also wearing a hoodie with cat ears. What is it with this family and cats?

Sasha Banks Vs Alexa Bliss: I guess Sasha broke Alexa's nose last time they met. Bliss comes out looking for revenge. She still has the most ridiculous entrance. Sasha wins pretty quickly with the Banks Statement, and keeps it on a little longer for good measure.

Tyler Breeze Vs Chad Gable: This is Breeze's return from his European vacation, and Gable's TV debut. Gable is already over, getting 'let's go Gable' chants. They have a competitive little match, with Gable getting in a lot of offence before Breeze catches him with a quick Beauty Shot for the win. When we come back from commercial, we're shown footage of someone lurking at the top of the arena while Breeze celebrates his win. Is this really happening? Are they really doing a Phantom of the Opera angle with Marcus Louis? Life doesn't get any better than this.

The Lucha Dragons Vs The Vaudevillains: For the tag titles. They get a bit more time than they did at R Evolution, and have a better match. The result is still the same though. The Dragons debut a new double team move which sees Sin Cara lift English up in the deadlift powerbomb, and Kalisto come off the top with some corkscrew move. They need to work on this a bit if it's going to be a regular finisher. I'm interested to see what comes next for these two teams.

Episode MVP: Chad Gable. Had an impressive debut and was already over.

Few people have ever dropped into the ring with as little experience as Gable and been nearly so good. His first match on the road was in September of the previous year, so he had like four months of actual in ring experience there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Few people have ever dropped into the ring with as little experience as Gable and been nearly so good. His first match on the road was in September of the previous year, so he had like four months of actual in ring experience there.

He's probably the legitimately most underrated wrestler in the company right now. He's so good and gets nothing to do ever.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

He's probably the legitimately most underrated wrestler in the company right now. He's so good and gets nothing to do ever.

I can't believe they didn't even have him and Roode split up and have a two week feud.

1/14/15

Finn Balor Vs Tyson Kidd: Decent match. It looked like Balor was going to win quick, so Kidd ended up making him work for it. It was noticeable, to me at least, how much better Kidd was in this match than Balor. Way more interesting on offence, way better at doing character stuff, and the match noticeably dropped off when Balor was in control.

Baron Corbin Vs Bull Dempsey: These two finally go at it, and the match was all it needed to be really. Short and sweet. Bull takes control but misses the diving headbutt, and Corbin hits an impressive End of Days for the win. 

Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch Vs Charlotte and Natalya: We're told that Sasha and Becky want to be known as Team Bae. Nice little chain wrestling sequence between Nattie and Becky to start. Nattie always looks good going at it on the mat. It's a shame that not many of the other girls can go with her. Sasha is the star of this match, as she's the star of most of her matches these days. She picks up the win for her team, pinning Charlotte with a neckbreaker and a handful of tights. Nice to see her get one over on Charlotte for a change.

Sami Zayn Vs Adrian Neville: Of course this is a good match. Not as heavy on the storytelling as their previous matches, although there were a few touches, some one-upsmanship, things getting testy around a handshake which leads to a strike exchange, and Neville showing some hesitation when Zayn is seemingly hurt, only for Zayn to go on the attack. I guess the story of Sami and Neville is actually over, so this is like the epilogue. I really liked the finishing stretch here. Sami misses the Helluva kick which leads to a really great nearfall for Neville with a roll-up. Then Sami hits the corner exploder and the Helluva to retain the belt. Before he can celebrate, Kevin Owens is in with a pop-up powerbomb to end the show standing tall.

Episode MVP: Tyson Kidd.

3 1/4 star match: Adrian Neville Vs Sami Zayn.

• 2 weeks later...

1/21/15

We start with William Regal issuing a statement from his office in which he announces the next network special on Feb 11th, and a number one contender's tournament for the NXT title which will start tonight. Exciting.

Sami Zayn Vs Tye Dillinger: This match never starts. Zayn comes out all pissed off and attacks Dillinger, and then calls out Kevin Owens. Regal comes out instead and tells Zayn that this isn't him. Zayn says he wants to face Owens, but Regal says Owens hasn't done anything to earn a title match. Finally they agree that Zayn will face Owens in a none-title match at the next Takeover. Really strong segment. Great fire from Zayn, and a good way to show how Owens has got into his head by making him act so out of character. And then logical stuff with Regal not just rewarding Owens for his actions.

Finn Balor Vs Curtis Axel: This is a first round tournament match. Pretty short with Balor going over with the double stomp, which they call the Coup de Grace for the first time. Better than the Itami/Axel match. We then see the bracket for the tournament. We have Itami/Breeze, Kidd/Neville and Corbin/Dempsey. Genuinely no idea who is winning this tournament.

Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks: This is for the women's title. We don't get too far into it before Becky Lynch gets involved and gets Sasha DQ'ed. 'Team BAE' start a beatdown on Charlotte but Bayley makes the save. Bayley has hold of the women's title and, when Charlotte snatches it off her, Bayley gives her a Bayley-to-Belly to a big pop. Regal comes out and says at Takeover Charlotte will defend the belt against Bayley, Becky and Sasha in a fatal fourway.

Buddy Murphy and Wesley Blake Vs The Vaudevillains: Murphy and Blake pick up an upset win, I believe their first win, in a shortish match. Later in the back they say that 2015 will be their year, and challenge the Lucha Dragons to a match for the tag titles next week.

Hideo Itami Vs Tyler Breeze: Tournament match. As Breeze makes his entrance, we see the shadowy figure of Marcus Louis looking on! Okay match. Itami wins with his kick to the face. 

Episode MVP: Sami Zayn.

1/28/15

Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy Vs The Lucha Dragons: Tag team title match. Pretty short match. Blake and Murphy pick up the upset win to capture the belts. I think they should have built up to this a bit more, but I like the Blake/Murphy team, so don't mind them as champs.

Backstage Charlotte tells Bayley not to pull a stunt like she did last week again, or she won't make it to Takeover. Bayley says she isn't sorry, because she saw what Sami Zayn did and she wants to emulate that by winning the women's title.

Adrian Neville Vs Tyson Kidd: Tournament match. These two always have good matches, and this one is no different. I would have gone with Kidd as the winner here. It's clearly time to move Neville up to the main roster. But it's Neville who picks up the victory with the Red Arrow. 

Charlotte and Bayley Vs Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks: Decent match here that ends in a no contest when Bayley and Charlotte start going at it. There was a backstage bit before this with Sasha saying she knows Becky is going to do the right thing at Takeover and help her become champ, but when Sasha leaves, Becky says she's going to walk out as champion.

In the back, Finn Balor is talking about his semi-final match against Hideo Itami next week. Itami comes in and says he brought Finn into NXT, and he'll take him out if he has to. Itami, to me, is way cooler and more badass than Finn.

Emma says that she's back in NXT to relaunch her career after admitting that her time on the main roster didn't work out like she had hoped. She faces Carmella next week. Emma would be a welcome addition to the roster. It's a shame she got booked like shit on the main show.

Baron Corbin Vs Bull Dempsey: Corbin wins fairly quickly again, and will face Neville in the semi finals next week. He gets interviewed in the back, but Dempsey interrupts and says he got lucky twice. Bull pie-faces Corbin and walks away as Corbin is held back. Not sure what else they can do with this feud, but I assume Bull costs Corbin his semi-final to protect him in defeat.

It's time to sign the contract for the Sami/Owens match. This is an awesome contract signing. Zayn is all fired up, whereas Owens is emotionless. Zayn signs, but Owens says he isn't going to sign because this isn't a personal issue, it's about business. He says he's a prize fighter, and Sami Zayn isn't the prize, the NXT title is the prize. Regal reiterates that Owens hasn't done anything to earn a championship match, but Zayn begs him to make a title match. Regal reluctantly does so, and the contract is signed. Owens throws the pen at Sami and then walks off as Regal holds Zayn back. Really good stuff here that shows you can do creative things with the contract signing gimmick that build on story and character, and you don't have to resort to violence. I also like the attention to detail here. When Regal changed the match from none-title to title, he amended the contract and had Sami re-sign it to make it official. All around this was a great segment.

Episode MVP: Kevin Owens.

3 star match: Adrian Neville Vs Tyson Kidd. 

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hide contents

Zayn/Owens and Banks/Lynch? Am I missing a Banks/Bayley one?

Banks/Bayley where Sasha refuses to attack Bayley because she's not worth it and Bayley snaps and beats the hell out of her

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hide contents

Banks/Bayley where Sasha refuses to attack Bayley because she's not worth it and Bayley snaps and beats the hell out of her

I'll have to watch that back. That was for NXT Takeover: Brooklyn? Cheers.

Edited by The Natural

Natural, you're such a nice guy. I wondered why you suddenly 'liked' my post from ages ago about not wanting to be spoiled on stuff, and now see it's because you wanted to talk about stuff I hadn't got to yet, but didn't want to spoil it for me. Thanks to you and Fowler for the consideration.

• Like 3

2/4/15

Carmella Vs Emma: Enzo and Cass come out with Carmella. It's a weird combo. Carmella could probably get some major heel heat if they cut her loose from those two. I get they're probably building to her 'turning' on them, but in the meantime it's an awkward dynamic. This match is kinda sad. Sad to see Emma relegated to doing a quick job to a very raw Mella. I'm waiting for her to snap and go heel. Crowd is still chanting for old bluey.

Adrian Neville Vs Baron Corbin: Tournament semi-final. This went down how I thought it would, with Bull Dempsey coming out and attacking Corbin behind the ref's back, which opened Corbin up for the Red Arrow and his first official loss. This was a decent little big vs little match up to that point, and showed that Corbin is coming along nicely.

Bayley Vs Becky Lynch: Bayley goes over with the Bayley-to-Belly after Sasha threw Lynch back into the ring. Banks and Lynch have a shoving match, then the charisma vacuum that is Charlotte comes out and we have our staredown to set up the fatal fourway next week.

Finn Balor Vs Hideo Itami: Adrian Neville is on commentary for this semi-final match. These two work well together. It's the best Itami has looked in an NXT ring, probably because he feels a bit more able to cut loose against someone who is more familiar with his style. Huge pop again for the GTS tease from Hideo. I'm interested to see if he ever hits that move, because the crowd is absolutely clamouring for it. Balor wins with the Coup de Grace. Graves actually pronounces it properly (it always annoys me how he puts an 's' on the end of it- he probably does that just to be annoying). Neville greets Balor in the aisle and they have a little face-to-face and shake hands.

This show also featured backstage promos from both Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens about their match next week. Good stuff from both about how Owens manipulated his way into a championship match. Oh, and we've started getting production glitches to hype up Solomon Crowe's debut. I'm pretty agnostic on Sami Callihan, but interested to see what he does in this gimmick.

Episode MVP: Sami Zayn. He cut a real nice fired-up promo. I had no idea Sami was one of the best talkers in the company until I started this project.

5 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Balor wins with the Coup de Grace. Graves actually pronounces it properly (it always annoys me how he puts an 's' on the end of it- he probably does that just to be annoying).

Huh? Why would he omit the "s" sound? The "c" in French "grace" is not silent. (Unless he's pronouncing it like "grawsses", which would be annoying.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Natural, you're such a nice guy. I wondered why you suddenly 'liked' my post from ages ago about not wanting to be spoiled on stuff, and now see it's because you wanted to talk about stuff I hadn't got to yet, but didn't want to spoil it for me. Thanks to you and Fowler for the consideration.

Thank you, @Yo-Yo's Roomie. Appreciate it.

Thank you, @Brian Fowler.

• Like 1

I'm going down a Tyson Kidd hole thanks to this thread. Keep up the great work, Roomie.

I'm kind of with you on Balor. There are good matches to come in NXT, but he's a guy I was cold to in the beginning. The talent is obvious and he does become very popular, but Sami and Kidd dominating these shows is a tough act to follow. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I’m sure it’s been said before but it’s always worth repeating: Natural is the nicest, bestest dude on DVDVR.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I can't remember who it was, except that he's now banned, but there was a time a poster was so annoying that even the Natural snapped and had a go at him. When you crack the most laid back guy on here, that's when you know you must be a total dick.

• Thanks 1

NXT Takeover: Rival

Hideo Itami Vs Tyler Breeze: We see backstage footage of Breeze attacking Itami after last week's show, which led to Regal making this match. Breeze debuts the selfie stick here. Great character touch. I guess they dropped the Marcus Louis/Phantom of the Opera story, presumably because Louis has been released, which makes me a sad panda. Pretty good match. Biggest pop, again, is for the GTS tease. Itami wins with his running kick thing.

Baron Corbin Vs Bull Dempsey: No disqualification match. They didn't really do much with the stip. Brawled around for a bit. Bull hit the diving headbutt, but Corbin kicked out. He went for a chair, but Corbin hit him with End of Days to pick up the win. That has to be the end of this feud now. I've been a bit disappointed with it.

Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy Vs The Lucha Dragons: The champs have their little entrance routine where they take turns leapfrogging over each other to show how pumped up and intense they are. They come across kinda doofy but in a likeable way. And they have got quite over in a short space of time. These teams managed to salvage this match after a really rough start that saw both members of the Dragons botch moves pretty badly. The match threatened to go off the rails after that, and the structure, designed to show how both teams are evenly matched, wasn't really helping. But they did manage to turn it around in the closing stretch, and it ended up pretty entertaining. The champs retained with a brainbuster/frog splash combo.

Finn Balor Vs Adrian Neville: Final of the number one contenders tournament. Balor comes out in the Demon paint. This match is exactly what you'd think it would be, and if you like high energy offensive-minded, workrate-heavy wrestling, then this match is for you. It's not my favourite style, but I still enjoyed this for what it was. Balor picked up the win with the Coup de Grace.

Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte Vs Becky Lynch Vs Bayley: This was decent for a fatal fourway, but these matches aren't really conducive to great wrestling. It doesn't matter, because this is all about Sasha finally winning the belt. Once again, she was the star of the match. Actually, she's looking head and shoulders above the other girls right now with her all-round game. She ends up pinning Charlotte with a cradle after Charlotte refused to tap out to the Banks Statement. A tap-out win would have been more satisfying, but at least she got to beat the defending champ. Bayley, for the record, is still the sentimental favourite of the crowd, which is impressive after all this time. Sasha got a nice pop for her win though. After the match they go for a 'respect' thing between Charlotte and Sasha, with Charlotte hugging Sasha, but then Sasha shoves her and mocks her. I could have done without that, to be honest.

Kavin Owens Vs Sami Zayn: This is kind of booked like a Brock Lesnar, with Owens in the Lesnar role, just dominating Zayn for long portions of the match, with Zayn getting some desperation/hope spots. It kinda reminded me of Brock/Eddy. I'm disappointed in the fans for doing dueling chants for this. Sami is supposed to be their guy, and they're gonna cheer for the guy that betrayed him and stole his moment? I really like the finish of this. Zayn hits a dive on the outside, but his head hits the steel ramp, which knocks him loopy. From there, he can't regain his wherewithal (Zayn's selling is a bit too Shawn Michaels-esque here, but I'll forgive it) , and Owens counters the Helluva kick into a pop-up powerbomb. Zayn kicks out, but Owens is like a shark who smells blood, and continues to powerbomb Zayn until the ref stops at the match at the doctor's recommendation. The crowd chants bullshit, but then there's a pop/gasp when Owens is announced as the new champ. I like that they got that visceral reaction from the crowd, and did it the right way. I liked the booking of this a lot.

Episode MVP: I have to give it to Sasha this time. She put in a great performance in the fourway, and finally, deservedly, ascended to the top of the women's division.

Show rating: I'd probably say this is the weakest Takeover to date. Every other one has had at least 2, often 3, really good matches. This really only has the one standout match, that being the main event. It's also hurt by having the weakest women's match on a Takeover so far. That said, this is still a very enjoyable show, with nothing really bad on it. Again, booking and who goes over are key ingredients to a good show, and that's something that NXT has been getting right consistently. I'd give this 3 1/2 stars. 

3 1/2 star match: Kevin Owens Vs Sami Zayn.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, caley said:

I’m sure it’s been said before but it’s always worth repeating: Natural is the nicest, bestest dude on DVDVR.  

On 6/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

I can't remember who it was, except that he's now banned, but there was a time a poster was so annoying that even the Natural snapped and had a go at him. When you crack the most laid back guy on here, that's when you know you must be a total dick.

Thank you both and thanks to those who liked them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1