DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Tag League 2017

Raziel

He's come a long way in the ring imo. His run at the top of PWG has been fantastic and the last match with Zack Sabre Jr. is still probably my North American MOTY or at least still in the conversation. I only just finished up Power Struggle, but I'm now looking forward to checking out the tag league for the new guys and seeing Kitamura hopefully progress some. 

Omega's given Taylor as his answer to the always asked "Who would you like to see in New Japan?" question for a couple years now. So--maybe I'm reading too much in to that--it's at least possible he's got one very influential backstage supporter, and will be given every chance to get over. For me, Taylor's amazing on twitter, but I think his mix of weird comedy and semi-serious wrestling could struggle to get over in a country where he doesn't speak the language, especially if it is only one tour.

I don't know how I haven't seen it before but Hirai Kawato (who is awesome) totally has the same eyes as Kairi Sane. Not quite cross eyed but they got an inside bias. Fuck, I need to go back and watch all the young lion shows.

On 11/20/2017 at 1:55 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Just watched Cobb/Elgin vs. Ishii/Yano and holy shit, it is completely unfair how they can just toss Ishii around like that.  Jebus.

I'm calling them UnBROkable from now on. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Oyaji said:

I don't know how I haven't seen it before but Hirai Kawato (who is awesome) totally has the same eyes as Kairi Sane. Not quite cross eyed but they got an inside bias. Fuck, I need to go back and watch all the young lion shows.

If I remember Hiromu's yung lion pic had him look the same too. Thought he looked like a total weed and would never make it in this biz. IDIOT.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:59 AM, Oyaji said:

I'd never made that connection before--and his is more pronounced--but...

kawato_en-352x528.pngmaxresdefault.jpg

I was looking forward to the hoss match between KES and Elgin/Cobb, but boy, was that not very good.  Seem purposely laid out to undo any overness Cobb had managed to this point.  KES made him their bitch and he got no shine in.

I’m sure it beniffted from contrasting with the previous run of house shows, but if you’ve sorta checked out of the tag league, today’s show was massive fun. Young Lions all brought it, there’s an important development in Naito/Okada, and a crazy PWG match breaks out.

Jeff Cobb is Mr. Athletic or currently The Chosen One, so work that in. Also a cobra clutch finish in 2017 NJPW would need to be like a camel clutch version or something.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

I hadn't noticed he actually started doing one. I thought it was a suggestion. Cobra Clutch Suplex revival!

He did it for the first time on the 11/30 show. May not be a long term addition to his moveset, but provides something else he can do with ~wrist control~, and maybe offers a Destino counter, since Naito necessarily turns his back to do it.

Yeah, the spot where Naito blocks it, then eats a Rainmaker is coming. But I’ll pop for it, even knowing that. Honestly, big move invention and escalation—and how the wrestlers openly discuss it—has always been one of my favorite little things about wrestling in Japan. (Really, that Kenny’s uranage counter to the Rainmaker only sorta worked once, then he got hit multiple times anyway, is basically the only  thing I didn’t like about their G1 match. But I digress.)

I mean... I'm not surprised but he's not wrong about Cobb's big missing piece being the lack of fire. Same with Keith Lee to a much lesser degree. Now if he's telling this to Cobb's face, it's not a big deal but the percentages of that being the case are probably slim to none. Elgin's fire doesn't come off as natural to me though, so he's not coming from a superior place really.

Yeah, it's just an awkward thing to be made public, considering the tour isn't over yet, and--fighting spirit histrionics or no--Cobb certainly seems to be getting over to me.

Also: "(He) debated an idea I had for our match which ppl shouldnt cuz I don't have bad matches" doesn't do wonders for a guy with a reputation for a too-high opinion of himself.