DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Went to Barnes & Noble today and jeez, I said out loud to myself "I wish I had a grand right now" looking at the wall of Criterions. They had Blast of Silence and Branded to Kill. I just downloaded Crash to watch again and there it was. They put out a fucking Criterion of EATING RAOUL?! I mean c'mon, man... I could have spent MORE than the grand.

EDIT: I was also shocked to find that they had an entire Arrow Video section! That was supercool.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

It seems like all of them are 30% off, too; some of them 50 (though they're all $40 and up). If you have something in particular you want, I can go check for you. 

EDIT: I neglected to mention we have a full vinyl section with a ton of overpriced records. It's something like $60-70 for a 3LP copy of Neil Young's Decade comp. And we have a half-wall of D&D stuff, a full DVD/BluRay section, an individual anime section with various steelbooks... really, nothing to sneeze at. I'm still sore over my beautiful Borders closing down years ago but at least this is still an oasis in the middle of all dead and dying media outlets.

Edited by Curt McGirt

To avoid using my necromantic powers to rise the Grindhouse Report thread from its ancient (four years!) slumber, I'm gonna post the tetralogy of trailers I just got sucked into watching here. Apparently there's a double feature of the first two on the Night Flight Channel tonight and I had to check them out, which led me to two more incredible samples of trash. All this stuff is available from Vinegar Syndrome or somebody else so, hey. 

They're all wild but the third one is INSANE. 

EDIT: I also present to you... SAMURAI COP. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpwTWeZ8Lg&ab_channel=the5thsun

Hilarious. And has Robert Z'Dar with a beard! You will be shocked and amazed how good he looks with it hiding his enormous, Stan Smith-esque chin. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

To avoid using my necromantic powers to rise the Grindhouse Report thread from its ancient (four years!) slumber, I'm gonna post the tetralogy of trailers I just got sucked into watching here. Apparently there's a double feature of the first two on the Night Flight Channel tonight and I had to check them out, which led me to two more incredible samples of trash. All this stuff is available from Vinegar Syndrome or somebody else so, hey. 

They're all wild but the third one is INSANE. 

EDIT: I also present to you... SAMURAI COP. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpwTWeZ8Lg&ab_channel=the5thsun

Hilarious. And has Robert Z'Dar with a beard! You will be shocked and amazed how good he looks with it hiding his enormous, Stan Smith-esque chin. 

ACTION USA is a fun flick. Don't think it’s available through VS anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

ACTION USA is a fun flick. Don't think it’s available through VS anymore.

Correct, MVD has the new Blu Ray out.

• Like 1

On the "best Criterion" note from a few days ago, a side recommendation: the Raymond Bernard Eclipse series that has Wooden Crosses and the best film version of Les Miserables in it is absolutely spectacular, with the obvious caveat that the Eclipse releases are bare bones without the normal Criterion bells and whistles. But you can also find it for under $25 which is a hell of a deal for what it is kinda two but also really kinda four masterpiece level films.

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Trainspotting Criterion looks exceptional except for it, y'know, only having a 4K disc

Boy are people complaining about the flimsy packaging of the 4K release. I guess it’s a paper box instead of plastic clam shell. 

• Sad 1

Flicker Alley are having a 15% sale in noir titles, with the code NOIR24. The releases look really good, but are expensive as hell. This is the first I've ever seen them this low.

https://flickeralley.com/collections/all?filter.p.tag=Film%20Noir&sort_by=manual

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I just watched the trailer a couple of hours ago, and will probably add it to my order. Fucking skeezy clown.

Right?!??!  I've been wanting to see this ever since it got covered on Bleeding Skull.

6 hours ago, nate said:

Yo.  This went on sale today thru Vinegar Syndrome.

https://youtu.be/NGDmiZ2gWZA?si=mNNFGXGVT-4R-vpT

Oh my god. I watched this without reading anything and thought "wow, this must be one of Jess Franco's most bizarre and shoddily made early 1970s movies made with 1950s cameras" and then I looked down and saw 1993??????????

The sheer brilliance of that final shot. The absurdity of the idea and the perfection of its execution in the most awe-inspiring way possible. That may define cinema for me for the rest of my life.

I never preorder things because I'm not made of money and so I won't preorder this but in I will absolutely pay 50% of MSRP for it in 6 months.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, piranesi said:

OHM Y GOD IT IS HALF PRICE RIGHT NOW>

Also this: As soon as I saw Yaphet Koto in the trailer it went in my basket.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/5-card-stud

THIS SOME MAGIC WEED I"M ON!!!!!

If by half price you mean 30% off, then yes. It will always be that price on VS (except during sales).

1 hour ago, Control said:

If by half price you mean 30% off, then yes. It will always be that price on VS (except during sales).

It were the gummies that ruined my maths.

the gummies and the lead that ruined my maths.

Oh, dear old ma, I didn't mean to draw your wraths.

It were the gummies and the lead what ruined my maths.

my price point for VS used to be that $18 half price #, but so many are pricier 4K now that start out higher than $40 and I see $23 I'm like "close enough!"

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 1