DVDVR Message Board

Question about current Metallica tour

goodhelmet

Metallica is playing in San Antonio tomorrow and a buddy of mine wants to know what time the band will go on. Doors open at 4 but concert starts at 6. Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold are opening. Does anyone know the run times for the bands? If you saw them on this tour and know, that would be awesome!!!

I wish I could be of help, but when I saw them in Philly Avenged Sevenfold weren't there due to a band member's wife about to give birth.  So that threw everything out of wack.  But hey, I got free Avenged Sevenfold tickets out of it so that's a plus.  Show started at 8 with Volbeat though I imagine it would have been 7 if Avenged Sevenfold were there (at least that's what my ticket said)  Metallica came on around 9:30 I believe.  And as a bonus we had Mixmaster Mike DJing metal songs between everything.  It was awkward at first because people did not want to hear a DJ messing with metal songs, but they were fine with it in the second break.

But I will say if you go to it you're going to have a fucking great time.  Volbeat were great and Metallica ruled so damn much.  Might be the best Metallica show I've attended.

I saw them last year.  Not on this current tour but the same bands.  Volbeat played about 40 minutes, about 30 minutes for soundcheck, Avenged Sevenfold played for about an hour, another hour or so for soundcheck, and then Metallica played for close to two hours.  Not the best show I've seen them at (don't really like huge football stadium shows) but they were really good,  Sounded great (as well as could be expected for a football stadium), had a lot of energy, and played a lot of deep cuts like Leper Messiah. 

I was going to try and see them in either Iowa or Chicago on this tour but I'm going to Iron Maiden (tonight!) and those tickets were pretty expensive plus I 'm throwing a trip to a brewery and hotel room into the mix.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a teenager I saw Metallica and corrosion of conformity opened for them and it sucked hard. Then I saw metallica in camden and the opening act was alice in chains with mad season. You can guess how much that fucking ruled and was awesome. (=

• Like 2

When I saw Metallica in '99 (and a few minutes of '00) the opening acts were Sevendust (mic'd so badly you literally couldn't here the between song banter much less the vocals), Kid Rock (surprisingly great live performer, plus this was Detroit in 1999 so the crowd was fucking insane for him) and Ted Nugent (I legitimately think he has mental problems)

So Volbeat and Ax7 ain't bad. T-minus 10 days

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

I had a few friends that went.

The Instagram pics looked fun as hell.

How was the setlist?

On one hand, I think only one song each from Ride and Puppets. On the other, Bellz and BLACKENED. 

Real heavy on Hardwired, obviously, and Black but they played Roam which is my favorite song off Black... Not the list I would've chosen but good enough to have a great time.

• Like 1

Damn, you got Blackened?  i would have loved to have heard that or Harvester live.  I didn't have an issue with the setlist, though wish they replaced Halo On Fire with an older song (or something better from Hardwired, not a fan of the song)  Other than that glad you had fun.

• Like 1

Not a big Metallica fan beyond Master but I would have marked out for "Blackened". If I had the money, I would put that and "One" on the B side out as a 45. I'd get sued out of existence if I released it but it might be worth it just to have 100 sitting in my house that I can give away to people.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:33 PM, Matt788 said:

When I was a teenager I saw Metallica and corrosion of conformity opened for them and it sucked hard. Then I saw metallica in camden and the opening act was alice in chains with mad season. You can guess how much that fucking ruled and was awesome. (=

...you son of a bitch.