DVDVR Message Board

UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor (11/12/2016) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, hammerva said:

Didn't we say the same thing about Luke Rockhold?  And he got beat in his next fight against Bisping.  

That he was unstoppable or that he beat the unstoppable machine? I mean after Weidman beat Machida, people thought that Weidman was going to be extremely hard to beat even though Rockhold was on the rise. Rockhold never had the chance for that talk to develop like RDA and Weidman did because he won the belt in December and lost it the following June.

UFC trying to find where that line is before getting so fake in the build-up that people roll their eyes. I think they could have done better, with Jones/Cormier and Conor/Diaz it feels more authentic (and likely was) because they legit don't like each other, that just felt like a poor attempt to make drama that isn't there. They need to let the rivalries be natural, not try to promote every Conor fight as a blood feud, he can sell tickets without unnatural face-offs.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

UFC trying to find where that line is before getting so fake in the build-up that people roll their eyes. I think they could have done better, with Jones/Cormier and Conor/Diaz it feels more authentic (and likely was) because they legit don't like each other, that just felt like a poor attempt to make drama that isn't there. They need to let the rivalries be natural, not try to promote every Conor fight as a blood feud, he can sell tickets without unnatural face-offs.

I think this is more on Conor in that he knows Alvarez isn't biting on a lot of stuff, which is why some of his stuff sounded extremely hokey today.

Also, the need isn't in tickets as it is in PPV buys. Technically, all this stuff isn't for hardcores. Stuff like this gets casuals willing to pay for it whether we like it or not.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think this is more on Conor in that he knows Alvarez isn't biting on a lot of stuff, which is why some of his stuff sounded extremely hokey today.

Also, the need isn't in tickets as it is in PPV buys. Technically, all this stuff isn't for hardcores. Stuff like this gets casuals willing to pay for it whether we like it or not.

I get that, but it comes to a point that even casuals are going to catch on. I mean just because they are casual fans doesn't make them stupid :)  Its safe to do occasionally to get interest but if it looks super fake then I don't think it will equal more buys. I am not convinced that press conference will add any new buys at all, not that we'll ever know either way, but if THAT convinced someone to order a PPV they weren't already going to order then I want to meet that person so I can ask them why. And possibly roll my eyes in their direction.

42 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I get that, but it comes to a point that even casuals are going to catch on. I mean just because they are casual fans doesn't make them stupid :)  Its safe to do occasionally to get interest but if it looks super fake then I don't think it will equal more buys. I am not convinced that press conference will add any new buys at all, not that we'll ever know either way, but if THAT convinced someone to order a PPV they weren't already going to order then I want to meet that person so I can ask them why. And possibly roll my eyes in their direction.

I'm not saying they're stupid, but more saying that their bar and criteria is different for stuff like this. Sometimes, the bar is a little bit higher (IMO boxing has shaved away a lot of their casual fanbase because they did it for 30+ years for several fights that don't deserve that attention) but over the last 4-5 years it hasn't been that high for the UFC. Right now, the expectation is for Conor to do something crazy at the presser no matter who the opponent is. Hence, why everyone watches these things with McGregor. But yeah, I expect this one to add buys just because no one is testing the authenticity of this. That's something hardcore fans jabber about. In addition, plenty of casual fans who do talk shit about whether this or that is fake end up buying the PPV anyway. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the scuffle was staged, but who the hell cares?  All these sanctimonious analysts say they don't like spectacle, but when there's no spectacle they accuse fights of being boring or not having enough sizzle or interest.  

It's part of the show when McGregor fights.  

Miller vs. Alves is still on, but Cerrone vs. Gastelum is off because Gastelum (178) didn't weigh in within 7 pounds of Cerrone (170.4). That's NYSAC rules so Cerrone couldn't accept a catchweight.

If Gastelum was truly 178 (he didn't bother to weigh in), he would've only needed to lose one pound for the fight to be on at catchweight and just be fined a portion of his purse. 

Either Gastelum or his team should've informed Cerrone that he could rehydrate so they both can be within the specified weight range. Jim Miller, who isn't being fined, knew about Alves missing and just rehydrated to get to 157.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

FWIW Jacare weighed in at 189 as an alternate.

An alternate for what fight?  I can't imagine someone who is as lean as he is at 185 could cut enough to fight at Welterweight, especially on short notice.  

Just now, supremebve said:

An alternate for what fight?  I can't imagine someone who is as lean as he is at 185 could cut enough to fight at Welterweight, especially on short notice.  

Safely assuming Weidman vs. Romero just in case we get a USADA violation, someone passes out and hits their head on a pipe, etc.