DVDVR Message Board

2016-2017 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Zimbra said:

KU could be really good this year if they can play without fouling.  

Duke with all their freshmen back is going to be scary.

Frank Mason's been ridiculous against two really good teams, and Josh Jackson's only going to get better. That said, Duke's still the No. 1 team for my money. I was watching that game last night just thinking, "This team missing a ton of talent is legit Top 5." 

Kentucky looked scary-good, too. 

Was at the Legends Classic at Barclays Center. ND beat Northwestern and Colorado beat Texas in the consolation game. May have been about 2,000 people tops, and the 2K Sports one at MSG last week had about 4,000. These deals are like those minor bowl games nobody goes to in that they are there to fill TV time with live sports.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Temple Owls take on Penn yesterday at Temple. Had a great time and had an amazing seat for $15 in the front row of the upper tier right at center court. Only problem is that all Big Five games should have to be played at the Palestra.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Saw the Temple Owls take on Penn yesterday at Temple. Had a great time and had an amazing seat for $15 in the front row of the upper tier right at center court. Only problem is that all Big Five games should have to be played at the Palestra.

50 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I'm headed down Tuesday to see my La Salle Explorers take on #1 Nova. Going to be nuts.

The most underrated part of Philly Culture is The Big 5. It's such a great, unique rivalry. It's so much fun.

Palestra games are the best. I still remember my first game. It was my freshman year of college. La Salle took on St. Joe's. Hawks nipped us at the end. I was just so spellbound by the place. I saw the legendary Jameer/Delonte #1 in the country Hawks team whip up on La Salle. I managed to steal a front row seat. I was also at am amazing game in 2008 where La Salle beat the Hawks for the first time in ages. Crazy ending -- La Salle was at the FT line to ace the game. Some goof from the St. Joe's side of the floor blew a whistle. The La Salle team thought a timeout was called so they headed to be bench. They ruled that a violation somehow and we nearly rioted. Thankfully, the Hawks last-second shot fell out and the Explorer student section had a court-storming. La Salle and St. Joe's used to have their game there every year. They now play twice a year after the A-10 changed some scheduling around. La Salle proposed to have one game a year at the Palestra and the other rotate. Scumbag Phil Martelli said no.

La Salle and Temple also had an ESPN Gameday game there a few seasons ago. Tickets for that game sold out really fast. And, even more incredibly, I think I only saw like three or four available on StubHub in the week before the game. NO ONE was selling. I got to the gym an hour early and it was already packed. Great atmosphere.

Best game I ever saw there was Harvard/Yale.They were tied at the end of the regular season and had a one game playoff there to decide it all. Great, sold-out crowd. WASPs can make a lot of noise and get really rowdy. Harvard pulled it out at the end.

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Best game I ever saw there was Harvard/Yale.They were tied at the end of the regular season and had a one game playoff there to decide it all. Great, sold-out crowd. WASPs can make a lot of noise and get really rowdy. Harvard pulled it out at the end.

I was at that game and it was every bit as awesome as you said. My friend actually stormed the court with the Harvard students.

Only Big Five game I ever saw at the Palestra was also Temple-Penn about 4 years ago. Place was packed and part of the draw was unquestionably a postgame concert by Bill Cosby (which is now down the same memory hole as Benoit matches). In a list of famous Temple alum in the program the Cos is not mentioned, unlike other universities that shall remain nameless where people who commited horrible crimes are blindly defended by sick and twisted fans and alumni.

• Like 1

So Mason is on a 7 game winning streak (including the last two wins over Penn State and Penn).

But the really weird stat is that yesterday Marquise Moore because the first person in George Mason history to record a triple double in a game

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kentucky-North Carolina...holy hell, what a game. I thought Kansas-Oklahoma in Lawrence was the best game of last season (NC game not included), and the best regular-season game I could remember since the early 2000s. I may be biased having been there live, but I think UK-UNC surpasses that one. 

Also, T-Mobile is a beautiful arena and great place for basketball. It was packed and LOUD. The NCAA needs to lift its archaic ban on playing tournament games in Nevada, because you put a Regional there, on the middle of The Strip? That joint would be jumping in March. 

• Like 1

Fordham proves the old adage that a bad team from an upper mid major playing at home will crush a terrible team from a conference where it's a lock the champ gets to visit Dayton in March (Central Connecticut). About 250 at Rose Hill tops for this one.

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Fordham proves the old adage that a bad team from an upper mid major playing at home will crush a terrible team from a conference where it's a lock the champ gets to visit Dayton in March (Central Connecticut). About 250 at Rose Hill tops for this one.

Speaking of great old barns. Rose Hill is a treasure that doesn't get nearly enough love from the basketball cognoscenti.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Now he's been suspended indefinitely.  The cynic in me thinks that 'indefinitely' will end sometime before they play a ranked team.

I am thinking indefinitely means until January 1, so he misses a game. I would be shocked if he's still on the suspended list by the time they play Louisville.

• Like 1

I remember one of them last year being really dangerous, worse than this. Maybe it was just the initial shock of a basketball player trying to sweep the leg.

Worse thing is... doesn't poor Grayson understand the damage he's doing to Duke's proud legacy?! People may think negatively about the school!

• Like 1