DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 3

Dolfan in NYC

It really pisses me off that hockey tv is such a soulless display that they couldn't even actually show the crowd singing happy birthday to Gordie fucking Howe, one of the Mount Rushmore of hockey figures. Just come back from commercial "oh by the way in the break the crowd paid tribute to Gordie Howe and now here's Pierre to babble about bullshit".

We can be so much better than this.

• Like 2

Flyers bring in Ray Emery on a tryout. If he sticks and they end up playing the Caps in the playoffs this will be the greatest trolljob ever.

Was in Brooklyn tonight for Canes-Isles. Game was complete and utter dogshit, just unwatchable. But that isn't fair to the players because the ice was just awful. When you play a game on slush it can make even the best look like bad high school players. It really is a problem at Barclays because people pay good money to see the best players in the world and the shitty ice just kills games. As much as people talk about the obstructed seats the ice is the single biggest problem for Barclays. 

27 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Was in Brooklyn tonight for Canes-Isles. Game was complete and utter dogshit, just unwatchable. But that isn't fair to the players because the ice was just awful. When you play a game on slush it can make even the best look like bad high school players. It really is a problem at Barclays because people pay good money to see the best players in the world and the shitty ice just kills games. As much as people talk about the obstructed seats the ice is the single biggest problem for Barclays. 

Fucking Hurricanes.  #gimmickinfringement

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I think it's pretty telling that one of the few people who don't come out looking terrible from the email links is Gary Bettman. 

The theory on that is he is smart enough to know what to put and not put in a company email, as opposed to retired hockey players and media members. Always a lawyer.

Remove the sentiment attached to this logo and tell me it's not a pretty shitty logo:

1024px-NewYorkIslandersOld.svg.png

"You see, the "Y" turns into a hockey stick! And there's a puck! AND THE ISLAND!"

I enjoyed the fisherman logo for kitsch value and honestly don't see much of a drop off from the above. I do like the (now overplayed outside of sports teams) blue/orange colour scheme though.

edit: do I correctly remember reading about the Islanders/NHL or whomever already being dissatisfied with Brooklyn? Otherwise, they should probably change their name and logo as they are no longer on Long Island.

One thing about the logo: the top of the "I" that goes into the shillouete of LI points to the exact location of the Colisseum. There is talk that they are out of Brooklyn after 4 years and going back to a rebuilt colisseum. I really hope it happens because Barclays Center is horrible.

That would be for the best. I didn't even know they were renovating Nassau. It'll have all sorts of goofy shit, including a mall and a theatre (or theater as it'll be spelled down there). Bad news is it'll only have room for 13,000 seats and apparently that's too small for the NHL. Looks like this could be the long-term future for Islander fans:

Speculation is that they will see the writing on the wall and redo the building to over 15k. The entire fanbase is on Long Island so it's the only thing that makes sense at this point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

ea76b941e9affda2cc5ab839ad4bba44_zps90gm

There is the business side to Bettman and the fan side to Bettman.  The last sentence is a little more than halfway to the fan side of Bettman.  The fan side is a lot of fun.  If you ever meet him ask him about overtime hockey in the playoffs.  He loves it.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

That would be for the best. I didn't even know they were renovating Nassau. It'll have all sorts of goofy shit, including a mall and a theatre (or theater as it'll be spelled down there). Bad news is it'll only have room for 13,000 seats and apparently that's too small for the NHL. Looks like this could be the long-term future for Islander fans:

That is what happens when you go to design an arena, the hockey team says no, built it for the basketball tenant, and then the hockey tenant comes back.  All of the sightlines are for basketball only.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Speculation is that they will see the writing on the wall and redo the building to over 15k. The entire fanbase is on Long Island so it's the only thing that makes sense at this point. 

16 hours ago, sabremike said:

You know, that entire fanbase rejected a whole new arena (one completely self-paid!)  twice.  

Fuck 'em.  Let them be the Austin Islanders.  

It's so cute the way the Leafs media are so new at this they think their young kids winning in the last 10 games of the year shows hope for the future.

I'm here to tell you as a friend. I have seen some things. I have been to the jungle. You are on the path to destruction.

• Like 2

"... ... ... .... ... The horrah.... the horrah..."

I understand why the Sedins called the team out again. You don't want the kids to become comfortable with the idea of losing and not giving it 100% but where was that in October through March, motherfuckers? If we miss out on the big 3 because of putting on a brave face after the shitshow that was this season, I will be so furious.

On 3/8/2016 at 9:01 PM, sabremike said:
On 3/7/2016 at 6:42 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Time for Nordiques Nation to organise another boycott campaign (for those of you who don't remember one of the key thing that caused the WHA merger to go through was a Canada wide boycott of Molson as they owned the Habs and were blocking the merger).

This has been known for some time now but it is not a hard no.  The collapse of the CAD has pushed the price of a franchise up to 650 CAD once you do the currency translation.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=500&From=USD&To=CAD

If the FX rate were to come back they could revisit it.  There is still relocation (Calgary & Ottawa) still on the horizon.  

The head of Quebecor said a few months ago that the FX rate was causing problems with the bid from their side.

The FX rate is also the reason the cap is flat.  The teams have yet to see any benefit from the new Canadian TV contract.