DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 3

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't even think he's untouchable I mean obviously no one but McDavid deserves that term, but I want a real #1 D back if you move him. And trading #1 D simply doesn't happen, so...

I do think Eberle is gone though. Honestly I've been braced for that since the trade deadline when I was genuinely surprised both him and Yakupov remained here at once.

How about *two* defensemen? We'll give you Toby Enstrom and Mark Stuart.

Please.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Someone came up with the most depressing stat about Taylor Hall and the support he hasn't had in Edmonton. Since he came into the NHL the most points any Oilers defenseman has had in a season is 33.

The trade Hall camp is genuinely full of ill people that I hope get the assistance they require.

I fear anyone taking a flyer on anybody from that team.  They have some real issues with the defensive side of hockey.  

Everyone talks about point and support but that is not the issue in Edmonton.  The put up their share of points offensively but on defense it is a pylon fire and that includes guys like Hall, RNH, and others who have problems backchecking.  

If you read between the lines on what a lot of people are saying about them this is not a good bunch of guys and a few of them have been in the league for so long that moving to a new team will be a huge culture shock.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Couldn't they head back to the Colisee?

I wasn't aware Quebecor bought the team so obviously they will try to keep both going in the new building if they get the Nords back.  Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary have managed to keep the junior and major league teams going hopefully it happens in Q City

RNH has problems backchecking is my faovurite myth.

He's a defensively great centre that can't score. I don't know how anyone can watch him play and come to any other conclusion. I've seen him play Stamkos one on one and make Stamkos invisible. But he's never going to pass 25 goals.

He really has no business being grouped into the "lazy" group with a guy like Eberle (who absolutely belongs there), but it's guilt by association.

People that acutally believe support isn't the issue in Edmonton need to go look up a list of every defenseman that has played there in the last 8 years. It's pathetic. You could pick literally 20 random defenseman that have played at least 1 NHL game in that span off a list and come out no worse than slightly ahead. This is not in any way shape or form an exaggeration, the defense in Edmonton has been that poor. To the point where Oscar Klefbom with less than 100 NHL games was clearly our #1 D (great prospect, but it's too early for something like that to be allowed to happen).

It's absolutely a condemnation of how horribly mismanaged a franchise it was under the old regime (I think I've made my overall feelings on Kevin Lowe as a GM, then having a rookie GM in MacTavish pretty well known). This season was never going to be anything more than an evaluation and reset period, the real challenge is if they can find anyone actually willing to play there that improves them and not more bottom end slugs like Nikitin and Ference. The last straw was them botching the Jeff Petry situation where he winds up given away to Montreal for fucking nothing and instantly becomes their second best D behind some guy that won a Norris. Inexcusably mismanaged.

The fact that a guy like Patrick Maroon was picked up for spare change and is instantly our best support player says something about how broken the old model was. At least with the current management team I think a turnaround is actually possible. It helps the Rangers gave away Cam Talbot as a favor, too.

The challenge here is not to repeat the mistake on D that the old group made with everyone: Hall and friends with no good veteran support. Now you have Nurse, Klefbom on your blueline, Sekera is okay, but you really, really need something else there, big time, or Klefbom and Nurse have to carry the load. Which is crazy and will not work. That's not how this sport works. No team in history has put a team of unsupported children in these positions and succeeded. DO NOT REPEAT

I have no faith in the Isles to keep the puck out of their net.

Florida, in my brain, I know is the team whose veterans are too old and whose kids are too young, and not enough in the middle. But by God they will be fun while it lasts and my heart likes them.

If Washington cannot win this year, then they can never win. It's never going to get any better than this when you look at that conference overall right now.

• Like 1

Say the Caps lose in the 1st or 2nd round again, what happens? Can you blow it up? Do you want to? You almost have to do something drastic or you risk losing an already pretty exacerbated fanbase.

Last game at Northlands tonight. Hope the Oilers close her out with a win. They should have Gretzky play a shift, he would probably score a goal.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Last game at Northlands tonight. Hope the Oilers close her out with a win. They should have Gretzky play a shift, he would probably score a goal.

Couldn't agree more. Suit up the entire '88-'89 team and they'd win 11-2 or somewhere in that ballpark. DO IT! Or triple shift McDavid and scratch shitbum Eberle.

Florida made smart moves with the older players.  They picked up good veterans who provide leadership.  In any rebuilding when you get veterans they have to be quality veterans.  Florida did that and it has paid off.

Washington should easily get out of their division.  Even if they meet the Flyers in the first round Washington should be able to dispose of them in five or six games.  

I wonder how what types of changes the OIlers can make this offseason without selling parts at a discount.  Hall, Eberle, and Yak all have marks against them so you are not going to get a top price.  More like selling low.

Tonight is probably the first ever Isles-Rags game where both sets of fans are rooting for the opposing team because the loser avoids the Pens.

Also Leafs leading the Flyers 2-1. Don't they know they are supposed to be tanking? Flyers just waste their coaches challenge as a hail mary.

No one in their right mind would sell Hall. The suggestion in and of itself is grounds for dismissal as a complete lunatic.

I know Sportsnet float the idea a lot but their idea of analysis appears to be cosplaying "things old people in bars say about sports". Honestly I'm not sure there's a single Canadian club they've actually analyzed well this year. The problem with Ottawa is Karlsson doesn't "show leadership" while challenging scoring records, PK Subban needs to take less risks on a team with 0 good centers, the Flames have the best D corps in the NHL, and on it goes. They've been so consistently off the mark on what's actually going on with everybody. They throw so much complete garbage out there about every single Canadian team.

Last night's closing of Rexall was pretty emotional. I'm not sure if/why many non-Oilers fans would sit through that ceremony but it was really cool to see so many totally random players acknowledged and made part of the thing. I also love they incorporated the current players among the alumni instead of segregating them. I haven't actually been to a NHL game in person in years but still, so may memories of that building from years gone by.

The pre-game tribute to our old anthem singer, and acknowledging the PA guy were both awesome. That dude's voice has just been part of the background of my WHOLE LIFE when I think about it. Going to seem weird without him in the new building

Northlands, you are a big bland concrete shell with cramped seats, not the best concert acousics, and a terrible concourse. I'll miss you.

• Like 1

As one of the few people who care about the Canes:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/08/karmanos-guarantees-that-the-hurricanes-will-not-become-the-nordiques/

“The Hurricanes will not become the Nordiques and I can guarantee it,” said Karmanos (quotes have been translated by PHT), per the Journal de Quebec.

“I promise, this team isn’t going to Quebec. I’m not saying that cause I have something against Quebec, but because we have ties to this market. We have an excellent lease, I love this arena and I’m really attached to this market.”

I want to believe him, but it is Peter Karmanos we're talking about.  I would be incredibly sad if they left.  Even though the Canes have not been to the playoffs 9 of the last 10 years, it really feels like they are improving as an organization.  We've earned the upturn by sticking with the Canes when they were horrid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sabremike said:

Tonight is probably the first ever Isles-Rags game where both sets of fans are rooting for the opposing team because the loser avoids the Pens.

Yeah - not only does it get them away from the Pens it also keeps them away from the Caps too (well at least until the Conference Finals)

I mean the Rangers aren't doing shit - but I would rather have to go through Florida and the Wings/Lightning side

How do you know Karmanos is lying? His lips are moving. The guy has fucked more fans than Led Zepplin and it looks like he is going to add to that count.

Red Wings make it to the playoffs for the 25th consecutive season

Not because they won (they lost to the Rangers) but because the Sens took the Bruins to the wood shed